Whiteface Mountain Trail past Lake Placid and Connery Pond

Whiteface Mountain Trail past Lake Placid and Connery Pond is a 12.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Placid, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, snowshoeing, and backpacking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is the most scenic route to the top of Whiteface. The summit has a huge alpine zone and a building with historic information. There is also a road that goes all the way to the top thus making this a great peak for you to finish your Adirondack 46 on. You'll also pass by a dock in Lake Placid where you can take a dip on the way back.

I did this trail on August 29th 2018, you can check my recordings, it's 8 miles up, not 6.25 as it says on the trail stats. The trail is easy up to mile 6, then physically strenuous until mile 7, and then it's nothing but a relentless scramble until the top. You don't break tree-line until about the last half mile, but the view was incredible once I did, and looking down on Lake Placid to where I started was very rewarding. A major setback for me was that I got caught in a thunderstorm within minutes of breaking the tree-line and I was by myself, making it extra scary and crazy difficult. Having all the right gear and especially the right shoes might have saved my life, as it was pretty slippery up and down the last stretch of rocky scrambles. My advice, heed the weather warnings and don't get too cocky. This was a hard hike already but getting caught in the storm had me fearing for my life.

We know this trail but didn’t actually hike it. We came in via the ASCR trailhead so we could hit Esther Mt. on the way out. A high peak “double dip”.Pretty good route. Lots of grade.Beautiful scenery!About 8 miles or so.Good workout!

Very tough trail. Hiked it for the first time the other day with some buddies and my brother. Ended up getting lost towards the end in the dark. But thankfully we worked together and ended up at the top of the mountain. Everyone made it out safely. Don’t do what we did.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

If you are driving up you can not go up after 530pm

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Easy.

I saw so many great birds. Including falcons!

Monday, October 17, 2016

This trail was easy up to the Whiteface Brook lean-to. It got progressively harder and then very challenging towards the last two miles. Excellent hike!

Monday, September 19, 2016

Did it today. A previous poster was dead-on in their assessment of 50% easy, 25% moderate, 25% difficult. Combine the moderate and difficult portions for a *very* tricky descent. it took me almost as long to come down as to go up and that was only because I was hauling rear on the easy portion. Awesome climb though!

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Exceptional! A bit Easter than Marcy but just as great of views!

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Brilliant trek.
We had a nice parking spot a little closer to the connery pond. 6 miles appeared too less given we covered the first 3 miles with ease.
Ensure to get 5 small bottles of water for the trek. Towards the end the trek was really really very tiring.
But splendid reward at the end. Brilliant view.
Took approx 5 hours.

As Thierry says, not at all crowded. and only at 90% you start seeing over the trees. From there it is 30-45 mins.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The hike goes as follow: 50% very smooth walking, 25% of challenging hike and 25% of barely practible rock ledges and hard-to-climb rocks. The view is very rewarding, but you have to go 90% of the way up to start seeing past the trees.. Give yourself a hard 6h to the top and a 5h down if your not an experienced hiker. This trail its not at all crowded.

Wednesday, October 01, 2014

My wife and I started this climb on reservoir rd near north pole santas shop. it was about 5.2 miles, pretty well marked, decent hike up. Not really any good views due to the fog but after we passed Mt Esther it was still a good hike. Great views from the summit. Fun hike.

Saturday, March 09, 2013

On whinther... that was a really nice trip!!!
we open the trail.