Whiteface Mountain Summit Trail

Whiteface Mountain Summit Trail is a 9.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wilmington, New York that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A moderate loop that will take you from the Wilmington Trailhead over Marble Mtn to Esther (ADK High Peak @ 4239') and then to the summit of Whiteface (ADK High Peak @ 4867). The summit of Esther is 1.3 miles RT that is included in the mileage given here. Excellent views of the surrounding valley. A very fun trail with varied terrain that can actually be accessed several other ways as well. The trail is Esther is not officially maintained and can get muddy at times. The trail up Whiteface varies and includes some excellent outcrops. The only drawback to the hike is that you may end up sharing the summit with a very large crowd as the peak is also reachable by road. Regardless of how you get there the views are worth the trip.

I started at the ASRC and met this trail at the marble mountain summit. The steepest part was the beginning up marble mountain and the last mile to the summit of whiteface. It took me 5 hours but I was moving fast. It was 13 miles round trip including hiking Esther on the way there. Overall very fun hike but definitely steep and rocky at parts.

This was my first high peak and I am not in the best shape of my life it was tough especially towards the summit for me at least. Very Rocky and I would say 85% of the hike was directly uphill (go figure being a high peak and all). We started our climb at the reservoir, we skipped Ester in hopes to accomplish on the way back but we burning day light so we unfortunately didn't make Ester The view at the Summit was so beautiful completely worth the hike! I just wish it wasn't so touristy at the summit (you can drive up to the top in your car) All in all great hike! .

Fun time.

What a great hike. We started from the observatory parking lot and of course added Esther for a total of 10 miles. Check out my full write up. http://www.eastcoasthiker.com/trails/whitefaceandesther/

Awesome hike!!! Intense uphill, but worth it at the end.

Another successful hike of Whiteface for round 3 for me. This was a leisurely hike that we made into a loop by hiking down the toll road. The weather was perfect with a little mud on the trail, but nothing major.

Great hike. Started from reservoir. You start the hike by going up Marble Mt until you get to the large karin in the middle of the trail. To the right is Esther Mt. Very muddy but very clear and easy to follow for a trail that is not marked or maintained. No actual views from summit but look around as you go up and you do have nice views of Whiteface. Back down Esther then up Whiteface. Not nearly as muddy but s little wet. The hardest part of the climb was actually Marble Mt. Views from summit are incredible. Lots of people on summit (car drivers). My recording shows 7 miles but my phone died on top of Whiteface. Actual distance was 12.2 miles.

Beautiful mountain, amazing views from top. We did the primary trail starting at the Atmospheric Reasearch Centre. Pretty abrupt climb for the the first mile and a half.