Whiteface Mountain Summit Trail

Whiteface Mountain Summit Trail is a 9.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wilmington, New York that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A moderate loop that will take you from the Wilmington Trailhead over Marble Mtn to Esther (ADK High Peak @ 4239') and then to the summit of Whiteface (ADK High Peak @ 4867). The summit of Esther is 1.3 miles RT that is included in the mileage given here. Excellent views of the surrounding valley. A very fun trail with varied terrain that can actually be accessed several other ways as well. The trail is Esther is not officially maintained and can get muddy at times. The trail up Whiteface varies and includes some excellent outcrops. The only drawback to the hike is that you may end up sharing the summit with a very large crowd as the peak is also reachable by road. Regardless of how you get there the views are worth the trip.

One of my favorites! The only downside is the 2 mike walk to the base of the mountain from the parking lot.

Snowy/icy and windy at the peak. Was snowy on the way up for the bottom half but on the way back down it melted - so lots of deep wet spots. Absolutely gorgeous up there though. The second half of the hike was amazing.

Awesome last weekend of October to hit both Whiteface and Esther. 7 hours RT to complete. Not too busy at summit as the tourism season was closed. Very windy but sun-shined filled. Came across some small patches of snow and ice at peak.

Amazing trail!! Beautiful day! So glad we were able to hit Ester as well took us 8 hours to do both! Worth the effort!

I started at the ASRC and met this trail at the marble mountain summit. The steepest part was the beginning up marble mountain and the last mile to the summit of whiteface. It took me 5 hours but I was moving fast. It was 13 miles round trip including hiking Esther on the way there. Overall very fun hike but definitely steep and rocky at parts.

This was my first high peak and I am not in the best shape of my life it was tough especially towards the summit for me at least. Very Rocky and I would say 85% of the hike was directly uphill (go figure being a high peak and all). We started our climb at the reservoir, we skipped Ester in hopes to accomplish on the way back but we burning day light so we unfortunately didn't make Ester The view at the Summit was so beautiful completely worth the hike! I just wish it wasn't so touristy at the summit (you can drive up to the top in your car) All in all great hike! .

Fun time.

What a great hike. We started from the observatory parking lot and of course added Esther for a total of 10 miles. Check out my full write up. http://www.eastcoasthiker.com/trails/whitefaceandesther/