Whiteface Mountain Summit Trail

Whiteface Mountain Summit Trail is a 9.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wilmington, New York that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is best used from May until October.

A moderate loop that will take you from the Wilmington Trailhead over Marble Mtn to Esther (ADK High Peak @ 4239') and then to the summit of Whiteface (ADK High Peak @ 4867). The summit of Esther is 1.3 miles RT that is included in the mileage given here. Excellent views of the surrounding valley. A very fun trail with varied terrain that can actually be accessed several other ways as well. The trail is Esther is not officially maintained and can get muddy at times, but we really enjoyed it. The trail up Whiteface varies and includes some excellent outcrops. The only drawback to the hike is that you may end up sharing the summit with a very large crowd as the peak is also reachable by road. Regardless of how you get there the views are worth the trip.

Loved this hike but let it be known, it's very steep for most of the hike. We started from the science center rather than the reservoir which shaved off a mile or so but the trail is not marked w tags till you reach the reservoir trail. Not a lot of flat sections. It's really ruff in the winter. Many hikers turned around due to winds. I recommend doing the last section on the road (as soon as you come to the wall that the road is built on you will be near the top) in the winter due to high winds and exposed sheer rock face on the last bit. A guy fell there last weekend and had to be airlifted out... Broken ribs and all. We broke trail that day, but due to no heavy snow the path was packed down and pretty clear. Lots of ice!!! Do not attempt without spikes in winter. I really want to come back in summer to enjoy the view more and explore the summit.

Combined with Esther a few weeks back. Started from the ASRC. Quite challenging for me. Knocked this and Esther down. Took way longer than I expected. Very populated summit. Driving up! Pffffffffffffffft.

Hiked Whiteface along with my boyfriend in October 2016. Definitely a difficult hike, but not a technical one. Much of the hike was uphill. Decent was much fore difficult than we perceived it would be. Took about 6.5 hours from the Wilmington Reservoir.

This was an awesome hike. took 4.5 hours as we took our time and enjoyed the scenery. This was definitely a hard climb but so worth it.

Marble Mountain is definitely the toughest part if you start from the ASRC, as it gets very steep very fast. The top of Whiteface also involves a bit of scrambling, but nothing too technical. The views from Whiteface were great, but the top was covered with people who had driven up. I recommend taking the elevator down to the parking lot and cafe, as walking through the tunnel is a pretty cool experience (and the hot chocolate you can buy at the cafe is well deserved). We hit Esther on the way back. It took about 40 minutes to get over there and there's no view, so be prepared to hate that mountain. Worth grabbing the extra 46er though. We did a total of 13.5 miles over 8 hours (including a couple breaks and exploring the top), so be prepared for a long day.

The last half mile with low bushes offers a great view of high peaks in Keene.
The tunnel is an interesting place to visit and learn the history of Whiteface. Try the cafe on the summit.

Gorgeous!

Hiked this trail Mid October of 2015. Great hike! Super windy and snowy at the top and almost too icey, so took the road down instead of the trail to be safe. The trip up was beautiful :)

This was a very nice hike that I combined Esther Mountain along with Whiteface Mountain. I started from ASRC and the strenuous part of the hike I would say is the hike up Marble Mountain which was steep and rocky. The trail was muddy in the morning and by the afternoon time it was very muddy from all the traffic. The trail is narrow in places which slowed down my descent. The views on top were obstructed by the clouds that rolled in. The summit became very busy with people that drove up. I would definitely do this hike again.