White Trail to Lower Wolfjaw Mountain

White Trail to Lower Wolfjaw Mountain is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Keene Valley, New York that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

My recording of my version of this trail failed, my dog and I parked on 73 near the Deer Brook stream after we were denied due to *no dogs allowed* from the entrance near the golf course. We opted for the challenging technical route up the stream but there is also a road that leads you up to the initial trail which is on private property. Please be warned I carried my 55 lb very agile athletic pup up portions of this trail which included boulders and ladders.

We followed the signs for Lower Wolf Jaw, and after a tough ascent we found ourselves on the ridge line. We followed the ridge to Upper Wolf Jaw, Armstrong, and Gothic. After my miscalculation when headed for Pyramid we went down the south side of Gothic and had to use the cables to ascend again. When you first reach the peak of Gothic, there is a sign to your left stating this is private property and no dogs allowed, we bypassed it because we were not about to do the ridge line again and headed towards Pyramid.

Great views of the lake from Pyramid, we followed the trail north east towards The Valley floor. We came out to a nice waterfall and followed the signs for the East River trail. Encountered another gorgeous waterfall. We followed to navigate our way back to the road. Took us almost 11 hours and I am a very quick hiker and was an extremely challenging day but was awesome every step of the way.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Nice walk along the river. No one on the trail today. Covered by leaves and easy to get off trail. Pretty cold day made it harder as i didnt what to keep on. Start near the golf course, walk at the cabanon

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Just a great all around trail. Starting at the Gardens trail head, hiked to JBL and onto Lower Wolf Jaw. The trail was very well maintained and the views and scenery were gorgeous. Plenty of all types of terrain from the woods, creeks, hills, valleys and a few suspension bridges. The lower wolf jaw trail has some very inclined terrain and was exhausting. Took my wife on this for her first hike and she feel in love with hiking and it's a tough hike (if you aren't in any kind of shape.). Round trip hike was 12+ miles but it was worth every step and aching muscle! I highly recommend this to any nature lover or hiker

Monday, April 25, 2016

Monday, December 07, 2015

Completed upper wolf jaw but the approach from Ausable Club is the same for both upper and lower. This was a moderate hike with slippery conditions. Prepare to go off trail and bush whack a bit as certain areas of trial are not passable due to frozen ice on ledges. Microspikes were absolutely necessary when I went up on Dec 6th.

Monday, December 07, 2015

A beautiful sunny, warm day with no wind. Started and finished at the Ausable Club, The trail was covered in ice above 3,000 feet. The scrambling was quite challenging due to the ice. Nor many views along the trail but the views at the top are great.

Thursday, April 05, 2012

What a hike, last section real steep!! coming down the back way (wedgbrook)

Friday, October 28, 2011

Took the W.A. White trail from St Hubert's to the summit of Lower Wolf Jaw. Most of the trail was moderate in grade; the steeper sections weren't until you approach the "wolf's chin" up through to the summit. Descended via the Wedge Brook trail to the West River Trail.