Whetstone Gulf Trail

Whetstone Gulf Trail is a 5.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Martinsburg, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.5 miles Elevation Gain: 882 feet Route Type: Loop

icy

Definitely bring snowshoes. And can’t be on the trail after 3pm.

Whetstone Gulf never disappoints. Went on a late fall hike just after a light snow. It is a great moderate trail for some exercise without taking away from the beauty of the area. This is always my go to choice near me

Amazing views the entire way. Hiked it in late November so the partially frozen waterfalls were incredible. The snow feels a bit treacherous on the steep parts, so I was glad I had ice cleats but I bet it’s muddy in warmer temps. Some people might want trekking poles. Truly one of the best hikes I’ve done in central New York. Skiing is also allowed. Make sure to wear bright colors in hunting season!

Only did half of the loop and turned around as it was getting dark and the hunters were in the woods on the north rim. A lot of elevation gain and the trail can be dangerous in spots due to being on the edge of the Gulf and loaded with tree roots. Beautiful area and I will definitely go back in the spring to do the whole loop.

Very easy hike. Did it with my father who is elderly and he didn’t have any problem doing it.

The trail was quiet and beautiful. A little muddy, but was able to hike it in sneakers. Multiple trees down across trail on both north and south trails, was able to make it around. Took 2.5 hrs. I suggest a hat to avoid the sensation of spider webs touching your face.

Awesome trail with some incredible views! But also some incredible vertical climbs! Took us about 2.5 hrs

Beautiful views of the gorge! Be prepared to climb.

My go-to spot all year round! Only a couple miles from my home! So blessed to have this in my “backyard”!

Beautiful trail but wow so many hills

I found the trail very enjoyable and beautiful . They weren't kidding about the cliffs.

Beautiful trail and good for older kids. I would be very cautious with young children or children who don’t listen, or contain themselves well. You are right on the edge of a several 100 ft drop. Sometimes you are only inches away. Beautiful hike though. We throughly enjoyed it.

Not crowded had fun. Some up and downs,mud, blow down. Great views. Will come back in the fall for color change

The trail was awesome! Great view stops. For it to be Memorial Day weekend it was not busy at all. Definitely would do it again.

Lots of roots and bugs but otherwise a great day!

Good hike over all. Ended up being 6.6 miles total of you do both the north and south trail loop. The north side was definitely steeper and you need to be a little more aware of your step. My mom and I had the dogs and we were just fine. The bonus was that there wasn’t much foot traffic! We will definitely come again

went up north trail and got slightly turned around near marshy area. Some more signage in that area woud be helpful. i came out to Alger Road, went down until i could cut back to to the trail. came back down south trail. south is definitely not as steep as north trail. Beautiful gorge. some trees down but nothing impassable. enjoyable trails.

One of the prettiest and best trails I've been on in a good while. When on the hillside, you see a river flowing and you hear sounds of nature the whole time. I would definitely reccomend! Dogs recommended to come!

This was a great trail. Longer than 5.5 miles though. Currently there are spots with ice and mud from melting snow, but for the most part it was clear and well marked. No crowd out early (9:30ish) but a few cars in parking lot once we got back. Dog friendly.