Whetstone Gulf Trail

Whetstone Gulf Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Martinsburg, New York that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is best used from December until February. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Started hiking at the north trail, and continued around to the south trail. Honestly, thought it was a lot of work (with dogs) for very minimal payoff. It was gorgeous, don’t get me wrong, was expecting more of clearing in the trees. All in all, will return, maybe next time without my dogs and family. Definitely a moderate to expert level hike depending on the weather. Very steep hills on the north trail can make for a slippery accent.

I did the entire gorge trail today, the north and south rim. The difficulty was moderate - lots of downed trees to climb around and a lot of trip hazards. The trails are marked well, but maintenance is lacking. I thought the prettiest views were at the top of the South rim trail. Some pretty steep drop offs, probably not a good place for children or unleashed dogs. Definitely not a good place to bike. I’d go back, but all in all, it wasn’t that impressive.

lots a views and deer poop.

The entire loop of the South Trail and North Trail took just over two hours. South Trail had 6 to 12 inches of snow, and micro spikes are recommended this time of year. Climbing up the South trail took me an hour and 19 minutes and the views were limited because of fog. Returning on the North Trail took just under an hour as it was near entirely free from snow on the trail. The North trail offered superior views of the gorge, especially near the turn around.

North trail currently has less snow. Great, desolate location. South trail (which I returned on) had deep snow still which made for a challenging hike back.

There are two trails, very scenic.The south rim has the greatest views. You can actually hike to the reservoir, and fish. I too would rate it moderate in spots.

Hadn’t ever been here before, but wanted to snowshoe someplace close to home; snow was plentiful. Pulling into the park, it looked as if the roads were occasionally maintained (plowed), but irregularly (might be wise to have something all wheel drive if you’re visiting from too far away).

Anywho. We set out to do the north rim, which is the trail depicted on this site. There is also a trail along the south rim, and they apparently join at the mouth of the gorge. We forgot to download the .gpx to my Garmin, so we ended up trail blazing straight up the middle of this sucker. It was an absolute blast! There is a creek that flows through it (ankle deep in most places, knee deep in some places), but we’ve had enough snow and cold enough weather to create some pretty impressive ice bridges basically everywhere we needed to cross. Really, we hit it at the right time, which allowed us to go up the middle. It didn’t appear that people do that very often, as we were breaking trail in knee deep snow the entire time. The gorge narrows quite a bit toward the mouth, so we weren’t able to make it all the way to the top using this route, but it sure was fun! Some “NatGeo” scenery alllllll day.

Love this trail ! This time I had my kiddo on my back so I just did the south trail to the lookout, I would say it was about 1/2 mile into the trail. All in all about 45 min round trip. Very steep and narrow down to the lookout, but worth the view! My husband and I have done the north to south trails and it is a nice hike! Views weren’t what we were expecting while on the trail but it is closer to us then going to the Adirondacks ! Definitely it is a great place to get a feel for doing some of the easier peaks of the Adirondacks, we use it to stay in shape for the peaks!

The round trip for both rims is at least 3 hours and I would rate it moderate since it's infinitely more difficult than Forest Park (level,paved,no elevation).
One of the best local hikes I've been on.

Did north to south trail loop. Views at top of loop and on south trail. Offshoot trail to lookout tower which ls a wooden platform with a panoramic view of farmland, but very steep gulley to climb down in and not marked well. Overall enjoyed.

Rough roots make it interesting terrain, fairly challenging, almost zero switchbacks. Over all an awesome ride with some beautiful views!

The app does not show the entire trail. It loops back and there is a south rail that makes it back to the starting point. plus there is a marvelous view from the south trail and as long you follow the marks on the tress, you will be fine. Beautiful view and nature is awesome on this trail.

awesome hike, beautiful place!

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

This was a beautiful hike. I wouldn't call it easy, moderate maybe? I definitely wouldn't bring small children or dogs though!
We did the children's area first as we weren't sure what it was about, The fitness areas were fun to do but I'd skip that unless you do indeed have children with you.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

I did this trail with my daughter and wife a couple of years ago. It's a very wooded trail. The beginning of the trail is a decent elevation in a short time. Once you get past there, it levels out pretty well.

The higher you get on the rim and away from the creek, the more peaceful it becomes. About a mile and a half or so into the trail, it's completely peaceful with the exception of the wind and birds. My daughter and I saw a deer run across the path from only about 20 yards away. It's a very nice wooded trail in my opinion.

The gorge isn't very clear from the path. There's quite a few trees obstructing the view of the gorge, although there's a few spots where there are partial clearings and you can get a glimpse of it. Parts of the trail consist of many roots, so be cautions of tripping hazards.

I rated it a 4 mainly because of the lack of gorge views. As a nature hike, it's very peaceful and enjoyable, though.

Monday, October 31, 2016

Easy hiking in the rain Oct.30.2016.alot of the trail was a washout,but was well marked.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Overall worth the hike. I'd rate it slightly harder than easy because of the rapid elevation increase at the beginning. Once it levels off then your good to go with the only exception being the many roots especially along the North Trail. Trail is well marked. Would have liked to seen a few more unobstructed views but still worth the time.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Great hike, one part of the North trail loomed to be washed out and unmarked if you're hiking from the south to the north, other than that it was good.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

I agree with those who rate this trail as moderate. There are some steeper sections which, although not super challenging, are not what I would classify as easy.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Definitely start with the north trail and end on the south. I cannot imagine coming down on the north trail side.. it is so steep near the end. It's worth it to just knock it out initially. There are many side trails where people have gone right up the edge to get a better look at the vistas. It's worth seeing those. Also there is a lookout point off of the South trail that merits a gander. :)

I'm not sure I would bring my younger children on this ...as most of the path rims the gorge. There are also a lot of exposed roots which I feel my kids would be tripping over a lot.

Beautiful little park though and the views were amazing.

Friday, July 29, 2016

Good fun. On a late July Friday, we had the north rim to ourselves and only met others on the south rim as we approached the public swimming area near the terminus. Despite the hyperbole of the many signs, the trail isn't dangerous in dry conditions if you use appropriate caution when approaching edges. It is probably best to skip this one when hiking with dogs, or small children, who do not listen.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

it says easy but let me tell you that I would say this trail is moderate. I wouldn't bring small children to this trail. a good workout, nice views.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Great views. Went early spring and there were several wet spots along the trail.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

My 2 kids and I did the south rim trail. It had a steep beginning but was pretty easy after that. Do the spur to the lookout, nice spot to stop for a small water break.

Thursday, January 07, 2016

Monday, June 22, 2015

Love this trail, at the half way point there is an area at the top of a waterfall you can climb down and look at.

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Wonderful experience on a great day, just be sure that If you bring a dog you have proof of their rabies inoculation or they will not be permitted to enter. Entrance to the trails also stops after 3PM, but thankfully we were permitted to enter.

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Trail open and well marked. Nice mix of climbing and level ground. Trail was fairly busy.

Monday, September 03, 2012

Great hike. Definitely start on the north trail & come back on the south trail. Beginning ascent is steep but then levels off. Took us three hours with two dogs and a lunch break.

Sunday, July 29, 2012

A challenging initial climb gives way to stunning views of the gorge and river below, and windmills if you head off the trail near the plateau. Pick raspberries at the turnaround, and good sources of water for dogs