Whetstone Gulf Trail

Whetstone Gulf Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Martinsburg, New York that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is best used from December until February. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Love this trail ! This time I had my kiddo on my back so I just did the south trail to the lookout, I would say it was about 1/2 mile into the trail. All in all about 45 min round trip. Very steep and narrow down to the lookout, but worth the view! My husband and I have done the north to south trails and it is a nice hike! Views weren’t what we were expecting while on the trail but it is closer to us then going to the Adirondacks ! Definitely it is a great place to get a feel for doing some of the easier peaks of the Adirondacks, we use it to stay in shape for the peaks!

The round trip for both rims is at least 3 hours and I would rate it moderate since it's infinitely more difficult than Forest Park (level,paved,no elevation).
One of the best local hikes I've been on.

Did north to south trail loop. Views at top of loop and on south trail. Offshoot trail to lookout tower which ls a wooden platform with a panoramic view of farmland, but very steep gulley to climb down in and not marked well. Overall enjoyed.

Rough roots make it interesting terrain, fairly challenging, almost zero switchbacks. Over all an awesome ride with some beautiful views!

The app does not show the entire trail. It loops back and there is a south rail that makes it back to the starting point. plus there is a marvelous view from the south trail and as long you follow the marks on the tress, you will be fine. Beautiful view and nature is awesome on this trail.

awesome hike, beautiful place!

This was a beautiful hike. I wouldn't call it easy, moderate maybe? I definitely wouldn't bring small children or dogs though!
We did the children's area first as we weren't sure what it was about, The fitness areas were fun to do but I'd skip that unless you do indeed have children with you.

I did this trail with my daughter and wife a couple of years ago. It's a very wooded trail. The beginning of the trail is a decent elevation in a short time. Once you get past there, it levels out pretty well.

The higher you get on the rim and away from the creek, the more peaceful it becomes. About a mile and a half or so into the trail, it's completely peaceful with the exception of the wind and birds. My daughter and I saw a deer run across the path from only about 20 yards away. It's a very nice wooded trail in my opinion.

The gorge isn't very clear from the path. There's quite a few trees obstructing the view of the gorge, although there's a few spots where there are partial clearings and you can get a glimpse of it. Parts of the trail consist of many roots, so be cautions of tripping hazards.

I rated it a 4 mainly because of the lack of gorge views. As a nature hike, it's very peaceful and enjoyable, though.