Whetstone Gulf Trail

Whetstone Gulf Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Martinsburg, New York that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is best used from December until February. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Rough roots make it interesting terrain, fairly challenging, almost zero switchbacks. Over all an awesome ride with some beautiful views!

The app does not show the entire trail. It loops back and there is a south rail that makes it back to the starting point. plus there is a marvelous view from the south trail and as long you follow the marks on the tress, you will be fine. Beautiful view and nature is awesome on this trail.

awesome hike, beautiful place!

This was a beautiful hike. I wouldn't call it easy, moderate maybe? I definitely wouldn't bring small children or dogs though!
We did the children's area first as we weren't sure what it was about, The fitness areas were fun to do but I'd skip that unless you do indeed have children with you.

I did this trail with my daughter and wife a couple of years ago. It's a very wooded trail. The beginning of the trail is a decent elevation in a short time. Once you get past there, it levels out pretty well.

The higher you get on the rim and away from the creek, the more peaceful it becomes. About a mile and a half or so into the trail, it's completely peaceful with the exception of the wind and birds. My daughter and I saw a deer run across the path from only about 20 yards away. It's a very nice wooded trail in my opinion.

The gorge isn't very clear from the path. There's quite a few trees obstructing the view of the gorge, although there's a few spots where there are partial clearings and you can get a glimpse of it. Parts of the trail consist of many roots, so be cautions of tripping hazards.

I rated it a 4 mainly because of the lack of gorge views. As a nature hike, it's very peaceful and enjoyable, though.

Easy hiking in the rain Oct.30.2016.alot of the trail was a washout,but was well marked.

Overall worth the hike. I'd rate it slightly harder than easy because of the rapid elevation increase at the beginning. Once it levels off then your good to go with the only exception being the many roots especially along the North Trail. Trail is well marked. Would have liked to seen a few more unobstructed views but still worth the time.