Fred J. Cusimano Westside Overland Trail

Fred J. Cusimano Westside Overland Trail is a 23.6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Panama, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 23.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,257 feet Route Type: Point to Point

private property

This trail is well marked off the main roads (302, Bates Road) but impossible for me to follow once i left those points. I've decided that hiking the roads in Chautauqua County is much more enjoyable to me. There are beautiful views of farms and well-kept barns, and the occasional glimpse into Amish life. At first, I parked my car on Wait Corners road just off of 302, then started out both ways on the Cusimano trail off of 302 only to be very disappointed. Wet and boggy was to be expected with all the recent rain, but to the north of 302 I hit an acre of overgrowth with no direction, and to the south of 302 over the stile I realized it would just be slogging through mud for no reason. So instead I decided to go down Wait Corners to Bates and then follow that up the hill. There's a nice intersection with the Cusimano trail up at the crest of the hill that is worth a detour for the views of that part of the county, but again I eventually lost the trail and didn't want to end up in someone's field or back yard with a big dog or, worse, a gun. Not impressed with this trail at all. Maybe it's better in winter, but I'm only here in the summer. At least I can follow the Allison Wells trail, mosquitoes and all.

My husband, black lab, and I hiked the whole trail northbound yesterday, took about 9 hours. The trail is well marked. It was pretty wet and muddy in most places, but that's to be expected in the spring! We would do it again, good trail to train on!

Great trail. Well marked and goes through beautiful trees and over streams. Can be muddy if rained recently but not too bad. Great for dogs too. Only saw one other group when we went on a Sunday. Seems to be a very long trail, I only did a few miles of it.

Hiked from 474 parking lot to lean to and back out. One portion showed closed and to hike road. Unsure why so we hiked on and trail was fine with no issues or reason to be closed.

Started at the expressway and went South 7.5 miles to the lean-tos. The first couple miles were along field edges, but later got into the woods. Overall, I would rate this section as moderate because of some areas in the woods that were challenging, but those areas were short, and most of the trail was at a beginner level. There were many areas in the woods that were flowy, fast and fun, and a couple of short, challenging climbs. The trail was very well marked, and occasionally followed rural roads. Not what I was hoping for, but still a fun experience.

Monday, March 26, 2018

The snow is still quite deep (in some places up to our knees) which made for slow going. We did an out an back on a section of the trail from the southern-most trailhead. It's a pretty forest hike. Pretty easy hike-- mostly flat with some very moderate hills. There is always quite a bit of shooting going on in the area no matter the season, and with a lot of the trail on or abutting private property there are quite a few deer stands within view of the trail (sometimes less than ten feet from the trail) so it's a good idea to wear your orange if you're going out during deer season.

Monday, January 29, 2018

just did the section from the Panama Rocks rd to the end and back... but it was gorgeous! easy to follow the trail, even in the snow and my dogs all loved the seclusion of it

Monday, December 25, 2017

me and my buddy shane did the whole trail yesterday! 24 miles, we did it backwards tho which wasn't the best idea, seems more uphill climbs going that way took us almost 12 hours, awesome scenery, would suggest bringing decent amount of water, only 2 stations both seemed nonpotable or iodine tablets, alot of small bridges to walk over and a couple are in need of attn, other then that very well marked and maintained, nice people along the way and ate lunch on a very scenic field over looking the valley, thanks to the parks dept for keeping up, have fun

Sunday, October 15, 2017

One of my favorite trails around. Lots of good sections to do for a day hike.

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Nice trail through the woods. I only hiked the first 3 miles.

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Did the section from 474 to about a half mile north of Eggleston Hill Road- about a 10 mile jaunt. My first time here. Scenery was great. This section of the trail was moderate in my estimation. Detour right, through the middle where they are logging forcing you out onto the road for a bit more than a mile and onto snake forest road (that sounds inviting). Some very nice platforms near a picturesque pond that are calling me back to overnight!

Sunday, August 27, 2017

gorgeous trail and spectacular scenery!!

Saturday, August 19, 2017

this is such a nice trail, one of my faves

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Trail is well maintained. Scenery is amazing.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Nice trail. We ran into some hunters though. It cut out hike short.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

There are some new single track mountain bike trails that come off of the Overland near Eggleston Hill Rd. trail sign

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Beautiful way to start the day!

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Great. Did the entire trail in a day. Started at S and ended at A. About 24 miles. Trail is well marked and very well maintained. Amazed at how well it is taken care of. You go through a few farm fields around Bates Rd. (with cows in the field). Can be very wet with manure if it has been raining. You can bypass the farms by following the road and hooking back up to the trail. Wonderful for hiking. Enjoy!

Monday, July 16, 2012

A very well maintained, clearly marked trail. Great for day hikes and beginning backpackers. The trail shares several sections with a snowmobile trail so the path is often quite wide and level. My wife and I have hiked various parts of it several times with our aging dogs and we'll surely be back. I took my 9 & 7 year old nephews out for their first taste of backpacking and the trail was perfect for them. We stayed at the northern campsite and found it well maintained and mostly clean. Recently the trail has adopted a carry in/carry out policy (which is what everyone should do anyway) and eliminated the always-overflowing garbage cans at the campsite. So, unfortunately, there was some evidence of recent partying at the campsite. Beer cans, broken glass, cigarette butts and so forth but not enough to make the stay unpleasant. We cleaned up and carried out as much as was feasible for us. Some people are just pigs, y'know? Anyway, it's a great little all-season moderately challenging trail that I would feel comfortable hiking with my 70 year old mother or my 7 year old nephew. There are lots of access points to various sections of the trail so a hike of any length is easy to plan. I hope our next visit we'll be able to take a weekend and hike the whole 24 miles.

Monday, June 18, 2012

The Fred J. Cusimano Westside Overland trail (yes... quite a mouthful) is a fantastic little trail that is great for beginners and mountain biking. There is not much elevation gain/loss but it is a well maintained with great foliage. There is abundant parking at the Chautauqua Gorge and several other spots along the trail. Maps can be found online (google Fred J. Cusimano) but may frequently be found at the trail heads in the registration boxes. The two leantos are nice places to camp with the southernmost at point 'N' on the map being situated on a beautiful little pond. This site is highly recommended. I would rate it higher if it were more challenging but it is well worth it for an overnighter or just a simple walk in the woods! We have hiked here many times from various points.

Monday, January 09, 2012

The Overland trail is a nice two day hike not far from the city. They have shelters at the trailhead (strange place for them) but nowhere else along the trail, so if you're overnighting you'll have to bring a tent. Pretty moderate terrain...a few hills and a couple of short sections where you have to go along country roads but the time on the trail is nice. Several large ponds along the way and many streams for water make it convenient to camp and cook. Wildlife spotted include deer, grouse, lots of birds, salamanders, frogs and toads and the occasional bear although I've yet to see one.

Friday, July 01, 2011

Great trail to shake off the rust from the winter. Trail was in good condition only one spot beavers busted up as mentioned in the review from CP. Camp site were very nice, and we didnt run into crowds. Ponds were very nice, maybe we can get some reviews on "The fishing report" on these lake we tried a few casts at them, but its hard to fish when there are dogs swimming around in the water. Just an FYI if your doing it end to end there is a part where you come to a road next to a house on your left the trail picks up literaly right across the road. We went about a .5 mile out of the way walking and talking on the road. O'well makes for a nice story in the future. Will do this again maybe each season, it was that much fun! Enjoy

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Great overall trip we did it in may and was still a bit wet.i'd assume summer hike would be the best time. there are two lean-too camps along the trail with well pumps for water. the trail is well marked and open for backpacking. only major issue is a brake in the trail due too beaver dams where you might get your feet a little wet to get past it. That is in between the two lean-to's. we did it over 3 days with a group of 6 and all had a great time.