Fred J. Cusimano Westside Overland Trail

Fred J. Cusimano Westside Overland Trail is a 23.6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Panama, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

this is such a nice trail, one of my faves

Trail is well maintained. Scenery is amazing.

Nice trail. We ran into some hunters though. It cut out hike short.

There are some new single track mountain bike trails that come off of the Overland near Eggleston Hill Rd. trail sign

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Beautiful way to start the day!

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Great. Did the entire trail in a day. Started at S and ended at A. About 24 miles. Trail is well marked and very well maintained. Amazed at how well it is taken care of.
You go through a few farm fields around Bates Rd. (with cows in the field). Can be very wet with manure if it has been raining. You can bypass the farms by following the road and hooking back up to the trail.
Wonderful for hiking. Enjoy!

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Monday, July 16, 2012

A very well maintained, clearly marked trail. Great for day hikes and beginning backpackers. The trail shares several sections with a snowmobile trail so the path is often quite wide and level. My wife and I have hiked various parts of it several times with our aging dogs and we'll surely be back.
I took my 9 & 7 year old nephews out for their first taste of backpacking and the trail was perfect for them. We stayed at the northern campsite and found it well maintained and mostly clean.
Recently the trail has adopted a carry in/carry out policy (which is what everyone should do anyway) and eliminated the always-overflowing garbage cans at the campsite. So, unfortunately, there was some evidence of recent partying at the campsite. Beer cans, broken glass, cigarette butts and so forth but not enough to make the stay unpleasant. We cleaned up carried out as much as was feasible for us. Some people are just pigs, y'know?
Anyway, it's a great little all-season moderately challenging trail that I would feel comfortable hiking with my 70 year old mother or my 7 year old nephew. There are lots of access points to various sections of the trail so a hike of any length is easy to plan. I hope our next visit we'll be able to take a weekend and hike the whole 24 miles.

Monday, June 18, 2012

The Fred J. Cusimano Westside Overland trail (yes... quite a mouthful) is a fantastic little trail that is great for beginners and mountain biking. There is not much elevation gain/loss but it is a well maintained with great foliage. There is abundant parking at the Chautauqua Gorge and several other spots along the trail. Maps can be found online (google Fred J. Cusimano) but may frequently be found at the trail heads in the registration boxes.

The two leantos are nice places to camp with the southernmost at point 'N' on the map being situated on a beautiful little pond. This site is highly recommended.

I would rate it higher if it were more challenging but it is well worth it for an overnighter or just a simple walk in the woods! We have hiked here many times from various points.

Monday, January 09, 2012

The Overland trail is a nice two day hike not far from the city. They have shelters at the trailhead (strange place for them) but nowhere else along the trail, so if you're overnighting you'll have to bring a tent. Pretty moderate terrain...a few hills and a couple of short sections where you have to go along country roads but the time on the trail is nice. Several large ponds along the way and many streams for water make it convenient to camp and cook. Wildlife spotted include deer, grouse, lots of birds, salamanders, frogs and toads and the occasional bear although I've yet to see one.

Friday, July 01, 2011

Great trail to shake off the rust from the winter. Trail was in good condition only one spot beavers busted up as mentioned in the review from CP. Camp site were very nice, and we didnt run into crowds. Ponds were very nice, maybe we can get some reviews on "The fishing report" on these lake we tried a few casts at them, but its hard to fish when there are dogs swimming around in the water. Just an FYI if your doing it end to end there is a part where you come to a road next to a house on your left the trail picks up literaly right across the road. We went about a .5 mile out of the way walking and talking on the road. O'well makes for a nice story in the future. Will do this again maybe each season, it was that much fun! Enjoy