Learn more

Westmoreland Grand Tour is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bedford, New York that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 787 feet Route Type: Loop

The Westmoreland Sanctuary is a wonderful and meticulously cared for nature preserve with a loyal following and a large volunteer base. Tours, child education workshops, and lectures are offered. This double trail loop reaches the outer boundaries of the Sanctuary. Features include a forest, nature garden, lake, moderate slopes, nature benches, and rock croppings. Parking is free, no dogs allowed.

I came here to plain aire paint and found a great little spot on what I assume is usually a campground when there are group activities running.

A nice mix of hills and turns keep this sanctuary very engaging for a hiking trip. This is our second time and we were able to mix it up. Recommend.

A great peaceful trail. Not as easy as you would think. Plenty of ups and downs and different terrains. Muddy crossings in a few spots. I only passed 2 other people the entire time. Some narrow trails where you will want tick repellent around your lower legs. Highly recommend for a tranquil few hours but still can get the heart going.

My new fave trail in the area. This was my first time going and I’m already planning to go again soon. Great trails, all very well marked. I only crossed path with ~ 10 hikers on the entire trail. A perfect sanctuary

Very well marked — and beautiful trails / birdwatching. #recommend

Trail was great! Very clean and easy to navigate. Trails were marked very well. Some areas were muddy but easy to get around.

Lightly trafficked even if parking lot is fill. Well marked and wide trails. Second time here but might be one of my favorites for a local hike with varying trail lengths.

One of the nest hikes we have done in a while. Very well signposted and marked trails (except Lost Lake). Very good for kids, both under 8. Distances and varying terrain for easy to moderate. Good parking.

Cool drive to the trail with impressive houses around. It was well marked, the lake in the beginning is beautiful. Hiking the full map was a real workout, lots of inclines throughout. Some muddy parts, bring extra shoes. Parking was free and right by the entrance. Not crowded at all, mainly locals with their kids.

Excellent trail for young kids. Very smooth trails and easy to follow trail markings. Great for teaching kids how to follow markers.

icy

A pleasant, long, winding hike on the Sanctuary encompassing the outer boundary (see my trail description above).

Great trail

Nice easy fall hike. Not moderate by any means. Very quiet. Didn’t see one person. A lot of trail markers, however signs posted are confusing. Lucky for all trails app which allowed us to get back on track (cut our own trail) and back to parking.

No dogs, excellent markers, well maintained. It's been so dry there are hardly any bugs this time of year (September 1).

Decent workout if that's what you're looking for. I ran the trails a bit to make it a little more interesting, but I'm a huge fan of New England trail running. Lost Pond was pretty and quiet, but the rest was typical New England wooded wetlands. There were tons of bugs when I went since there's a lot of marshland. But it's also 90 degrees and humid today, so it may just be extra buggy today. Overall didn't make for a terrible afternoon.

Wed Aug 29 2018

Nothing crazy, just quiet woods.

Sat Mar 17 2018

Dogs are not allowed

Sun Jul 09 2017

Definitely not an easy hike, I would say it's moderate. One of my favorites with several challenging hills...the trails were marked well with the exception of the entrance /exit to the yellow trail. I look forward to the next hike here with my wife.

Sun Jul 24 2016

Enjoyable hike though I still find the signage confusing after hiking here five times. Deer flies were killer today! But no complaints, out in nature on a glorious day, while it was a steamy hot day (95) it was still cool and beautiful. No other hikers in sight.

Sun May 29 2016

I enjoyed this trail more than Butler. The description of 50 foot incline is a mistake. As a matter of fact the trail has 500 feet inclines and has some of the most beautiful scenery around. We saw lots of nature, including two grey heron, toads, a leaf frog, garden snakes, chipmunks and the like. There were old stone walls and grasslands in the middle of the woods that harken back to what once was. I would highly recommend this for a good workout and is nearly a 6 mile hike when you follow the outer trails. Loved this one!!!

Sat Aug 01 2015

The beauty of this hike is the convenience; Right off Rt 684. Good easy hike in the woods.