West Mountain

West Mountain is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Highland Falls, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great hike that is much less crowded than nearby Bear Mountain with almost as good views on a nice long ridge. Isn't has challenging as Major Welch Trail going up Bear Mountain, but still lots of fun for a quick 2-3 hour hike.

So many amazing views, very quiet trails -such a great hike!

Great hike with great views. Lots of different trails, make sure you map out before you hit the trails if you're not familiar. We went with snow which added to the scenery!

A great trail for spectacular views. Well, at least in my opinion. A mix of the 1777, the AT and the Time-Torne, the West Mountain loop has it all, and you’ll be delighted once you make it up towards the top.

Hi everyone. I'm writing to ask if there is a trail in Bear Mountain which could accommodate a jogging stroller (used for a boy who's normally in a wheelchair, but uses this sturdy jogging stroller for off-roading). While this is not a regular street wheelchair, it can't go up a rock scramble. Tree roots, though, and some stairs are no problem.

Please let me know which, if any, of the Bear Mountain trails you think could be navigated by this stroller with an aggressive weekend dad behind it.

Thanks,

Neil Boyle

Easy trail, West Mountain Shelter great for an overnight stay. Gorgeous views!

Very nice three hour hike. Not as challenging as I was hoping for but it had some nice views.

Great hike if you have about 2-3 hours to spare and want a good workout with nice views the whole way. The top of the mountain stretches for a while so it feels like you spend most of the hike trailing the summit. Took a few wrong turns because I didn't ahead well enough but still finished in a decent time and did the whole loop. Took 1777W to blue trail, which connected to white (AT) for a bit, then back to blue, then connected to blue and yellow (although throughout much of that only the blue blazes were visible). Then continued on yellow when trail split and ended back on 1777w.

Not so much a review as a question as to what we might have done wrong! Followed 1777W out of parking lot and when we went down to trail saw it continuing on right so followed that. Eventually came to a T with left option being 1777E and right option being 1777. So went right . . . a number of miles later, ended up at 9W and nowhere near the loop, had to retrace steps back. It was a nice, albeit incorrect, hike!
Anyone familiar with trail - happy to hear where we messed up!
Thanks

Coming down is a real ankle buster, but great views along to top of the whole mountain.

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Good all-around hike, with a little bit of everything: scenic views, water crossings, modest climbs, etc. We hiked it on Thanksgiving so as hoped, we had the trails to ourselves.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Incredible views both sides of mountain highly recommend.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Awesome...

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Small parking lot at 41.304111,-74.015858

From parking lot go onto W1777, Yellow, Blue, White

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Beautiful views, river crossing, and well marked. Though I had to ask for directions from hikers passing by in the beginning. I followed the trail markers in this order for the 4 mile loop- white trail/1777 to blue trail, to yellow trail, back to 1777/white. I stopped a couple of times, lots of incline and rocks, and made it back to the car in about 3 hours. I parked on the roadside, the small lot only holds about 5 cars.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Beautiful trail!

Saturday, March 12, 2016

summer of 2006(?)

Monday, February 08, 2016

We did this trail with a light snow on the ground-- a bit difficult on some of the more vertical parts but still doable. We loved the views!

Monday, November 23, 2015

Great views!

Sunday, May 17, 2015

A favorite hike- variable terrain, great scenery, and just long enough to finish in an afternoon. Highly recommend it

Thursday, January 01, 2015

Great hike today - trail was well marked and had firm footing given the cold temps. I followed the trail directions from the NYNJ Trail Conference website (http://nynjtc.org/hike/west-mountain-loop-seven-lakes-drive), but made a slight change. After reaching the West Mountain Shelter (and talking w/ four hikers who spent a cold night there) I continued on the Timp-Torne Trail heading southeast. At the bottom I turned left on the Timp Pass Road - I would not normally take a unmaintained trail, but the road was well defined and easy to follow. I used this road to cut over to the 1777 trail/Pleasant Valley Road, turning left heading north. There were a number of informational signs along the road explaining about the houses that used to be there as part of the Doodletown village. Just after the Herbert Cemetery the trail meets up with the 1777W trail that takes you back up to Seven Lakes Dr and the Appalachian Trail to the parking lot. My GPS logged the trail as 6.4 miles which took me approximately 3 hrs, stopping for rest and pictures. Highly recommend the hike!