West Kill Mountain to Buck Ridge Lookout is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near West Kill, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

bridge out

sweet

This was a great hike. Strenuous at times (I agree with those who say it's more moderate/hard) the view was worth it and the Forrest itself was beautiful!

Great hike. The beginning is leisurely and includes views of waterfalls / a stream. Once you get to the bridge take a quick right and head on the other side of the stream (I went left at the bridge initially). The hike up is steep at points and decently challenging - there is some climbing involved and felt a bit longer than 6 miles total. The view at the top is worth the trek but note this is a moderate to hard hike on the way up.

Great hike! Beautiful from the minute you get on the trail all the way up to the outlook! The waterfalls were awesome! Gets pretty steep and a little tough to hike on the way up but nothing extremely difficult. We hiked on a mild summer day after rain the day before so it was a little muddy in some spots. We really took our time to enjoy the waterfalls, the outlook point, and we took a little break on the way up so it took us about 6 hours to complete the entire trail.

Hiked from Spruceton road today. No view due to fog. there's only twoish miles that are a slow trudge uphill. the rest is pretty easy (obviously the same two miles on the way back are a little slower when its wet and slippery). Good day hike. My golden retriever and I did the hike in 4 hours (not counting a stop for snacks at the top). if I were to pick a hike from Spruceton Road, I think Hinter is better going counter clockwise, but I cant speak to what views Westkill has. definitely check out Westkill Brewing 1.5 miles on the drive out!

We had a nice hike up to the summit. There was very little mud and a very few small patches of ice still hanging around which was totally avoidable. The bugs were out in full force and the views from the lookout were very nice. I will definitely do this hike again.

Beautiful pine forest and lookout at the top.

Girlfriend and I both liked this hike a lot. First mile-ish is pretty flat, following along a beautiful stream. Rest of the hike is fairly steep but not too bad. Still quite a bit of snow when we went, crampons were definitely necessary. The view from the look out is amazing and the overall terrain and surrounding forest is interesting and unique through out. Lots of old stone walls and structures along the beginning.

This was just a quick hike exploring around Diamond Notch Falls. The trail was icy in places and the falls were free flowing.

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Beautiful trail with waterfalls at beginning and some minor technical climbs. Would say it’s moderately difficult. The lookout is breathtaking. Summit ecosystem very nice as well. My top 10 of Catskills hikes.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Beautiful mountain! The steep ascent was a workout and well worth the lookout just .1 from the summit. Perfect round-trip mileage. From Spruceton Parking round trip is about 8 miles.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Great moderate difficulty mountain. Very little scrambling, fun challenge. Seem to be closer to 8 or 9 miles round trip, not 6.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Great trail. Bit difficult with moderate scramble. This trail is part of the Devils Footpath and lives up to its name. Went up and over, Summiting St. Anne also. Well worth the trip. Another 3500'+ bagged.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

I hiked Westkill via the Diamond Notch. Challenging for me but my daughter looked like it was stroll in the woods. The falls and Westkill Creek were pretty. It was slippery due to recent rains. Beautiful views from the lookout.

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Combined with Hunter total 16.2 miles, 7 hrs

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Challenging but fun. Fantastic view at the top. 4 to 4.5 hr hike.

Monday, September 19, 2016

There were definitely some challenging parts to this hike, although some reprieve in spots. It took me 6 hours from start to finish, with only a few minutes at the summit to take in the view. The trail was very well marked and easy to follow.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Pretty tough uphill after the first 10 minutes. You go about 1,200' elevation in a short time, but the view at the top is totally worth it

Sunday, November 29, 2015

This is one of my favorite hikes. It is challenging and technical but not too much. My wife and I took our 4 small boys( 9,7 and twins at 6) on one of our trips up and they made it without issue. I think this is a good hike for a beginner that is in good shape. The view is well worth the effort and will give someone new to hiking a wow moment that will make them crave more hiking.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

This trail is a little involved, and can be a little daunting for a first-time hiker.
The trail is demarcated, but it is possible to loose your way. So ensure, you have a correct trail map apriori.
* It has nice small waterfalls and streams of water flow.
* There are spots in between to take breaks.
* Being the last one up to the buck ridge lookout meant we could take a food break at the look out @ 2-3pm

Sunday, May 25, 2014

We hiked West Kill Mountain in the Catskills, one the hikes required for membership in the Catskills 3500 Foot Club. We parked in the DEC PA at the very end of Spruceton Rd (village of West Kill) off State Road 42. The trail rambles along the left side of the West Kill Creek which includes a series of impressive waterfalls. The trail crosses over the creek at about the .8 mile mark and turns right at the end of a recently reconstructed wooden bridge. From the parking lot to the bridge the trail rises mildly. Shortly after the bridge the trail starts to climb rather steeply and it doesn't stop climbing until it hits the summit at about the 3.5 mile point. There are however stretches of the trail where it's not so steep and you can catch your breath as the burning in your thighs subsides! Just short of the summit are two impressive lookouts. One looks West and the other looks East and they are about 50 feet apart. This is the spot for a break, lunch, and photo ops. The summit is another .15 miles from the two lookouts. There is a four foot rock cairn at the summit. Some websites indicate a summit sign posted on tree but I was unable to find that sign nor the sign you normally see when you cross the 3500 foot mark on mountains in the Catskills. This was a fun hike but lacks vista views anywhere along the trail. The only view is near the summit. The hike back down isn't as rough on the knees as some other trails are. I love hiking in the Catskills and enjoyed this hike. I think you will too.

Sunday, August 25, 2013

BEAUTIFUL hike. Best views of Lake George. A long hike and I found it quite a bit challenging. It can be very steep at points but it's beautiful and totally worth the time