West Hills Park

West Hills Park is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Melville, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

If you start out in West Hills County Park enter at the dog park entrance which is on Sweet Hollow Road. Between Memorial Day & Labor Day there is an attendant and it costs $ 13 to park. If you don’t want to pay you can go to Reservoir Road and enter there. Once you enter the parking area turn left and go down to the end near the bathroom building. The picnic area is on your right. Walk through the picnic area and enter the woods. Keep moving to your left and you will pick up the white trail blazes. There are both single and double blazes but they seem to both stay on the same trail. While there are spots where you come to a fork in the trail and you have not seen a blaze mark for a while the trail is marked pretty well. If you come to one of those aforementioned forks just follow one path for a while. If you see a trail blaze just keep going. If you don’t see a blaze go back and try the other path and you will likely pick it up there. The trail will end at Reservoir Road. You will know you are near the road when you pass an abandoned playground and falling down bathroom building. Continue down the path and you will see a gate which is the end of Reservoir Road. Turn around and follow the trail back. The trail is not very crowded and it is a peaceful hike. There are some elevations to get through and the 43 steps to the top of Jaynes Hill is a nice work out. The only bad part is that the path uses horse trails at times and the ground, rocks and mini boulders can be hard on your feet. You can bring a lunch pack with you. There are some spots with benches where you can take a break and relax for a few minutes. All in all a nice trail and there are enough offshoots to explore if you have the time to spend. Ticks possible off trail, use common sense.

This is probably not for everyone, but it’s does live up to the name West Hills because it’s one of the more hilly hikes I’ve found on Long Island. The trails are a bit narrow and you should look for ticks when you’re done hiking. The park needs some serious love, especially near the dog park where there are random chain link fences up that separate the trails from one another. Once you figure out how to navigate around these haphazard fences, it’s actually enjoyable.

Confusing to find trails as we ended up in the boy about campground to start. It ended up being a beautiful day and we found out way and enjoyed the hike.

Compared to other trails it's sub-par. Too rocky and sandy in many places and not particularly well marked. It's also very run down and not well maintained. Won't be back any time soon. I always try to clear the trail of debris when I can, whether it's large rocks or branches, but after a while it was too much stopping. I like trails that are 3-5 feet wide tops and this just looks like they ran a bulldozer through it to make large 10-12' swaths in many places. I always take my 22 lbs dog and I definitely have to check her for ticks because there's so many leaves left on much of the trail. Jayne Hill is a joke. It's dilapidated and unremarkable. I'd take Makamah, Sunken Meadow, Blydenburgh Or Avalon over West Hills park any day of the week.

nice easy walk but check your dog for ticks asap. just got home and pulled 4 ticks off if it. not fun..

Parked on Sweet Hollow Rd . Walked west side first . Rolling hills and main trail easy to follow . Wide enough for a vehicle .
East side has much more elevation still same wide trails . There are some off shoot trails that fine to hike are not really well marked . Overall a nice walk .

Could be good.

Just finding the starting point was a pain. Waze and google maps took me to the wrong part of the park. Had to use AllTrails to find where to go. Once we finally found the parking lot (near big dog park, not the little one) I couldn't find starting point of the trail. No noticeable signs. Had to ask around. Then the trails are all over the place so we too some wrong turns and did circles. Had to use AllTrails map to stay on track.

Seems like if you know where to go and if the trails are clear it's good. Otherwise I'd recommend finding a different trail. Wasted a lot of time figuring out where to go.

nice easy warm up hiking trail

Good trail but it was poorly marked.

The first time I went here they had just closed off the street road on one side..the one that you can drive down to a parking lot and trails. On the news they said there was chemical dumping in this park so I can only assume that's the reason many of these trails are closed off. We went back a few months later and tried the other side with the dog park. We walked into the woods and to the left and found the trail was closed off here too.
I do plan on giving this place another chance once the trails are opened (and hopefully cleaned of any chemicals).

Great hike. Dog on a leash, great open areas and shaded trails. Nice people at the dog run. Easy parking.

RE: Trail Running
Positives... Very challenging single track, lots of elevation change.
Negatives... Their budget to maintain their park is GONE, I mean horrible disrepair beyond the dog park/main area. East side the trails are the worst marked I have ever seen, blazes faded or missing, signs falling apart, trails overgrown in areas. They have perma-fenced off many trails now for who knows why, they had the white trail blocked with temp fences. And the west side is not marked at all, good if you want to get lost I suppose.
Just avoid this place for trail running like the plague, it is not worth the aggravation.

Great trails for hiking with your dog, some uphill and downhills are easy/moderate. Been here multiple times never came across horseback riders tho have seen fresh scats. Lots of blue jays, robins, and other birds I'm sure. Some of the trails are in disrepair and hidden on the Northwest corner of the park where I believe it crosses over to Boy Scout area, but still manageable. They were clearing some trees along the outside edge near the free way near the Sweet Hollow Rd entrance. The park entrance with the dog run area on Sweet Hollow I was also told is contaminated with chemical from a poorly executed treatment, so I'd advise NOT to take your pet there.

good place to chill walk around, really enjoy my time :-)

Thursday, June 01, 2017

I think the only trail on LI that features some long range views. Not so impressive, but still.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

In all fairness we went hiking on one of the first warmer days we've had in a long time so everything was a mushy melted mess! We still had fun in spite of the mud! :)

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

I Love it

Thursday, July 21, 2016

I enjoy this park for most of the year. The summer can be difficult to hike with the constant nag of gnats and mosquitos. The trail from sweet hollow road going north will always have horse dung because the trail is primarily a bridle trail. There are other trails to enjoy with plenty of beautiful trees and flowers. The trails are best enjoyed during the Fall and Spring season. Plenty of options to choose when hiking because there are numerous trails to enjoy. If you're looking for a quiet hike to enjoy for a few hours then this is the place!

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Decent challenge, but theres horse droppings and the smell nearly everywhere and you have to cross two roads to do the full 7.5 trail. It wasnt extremely scenic but it was alright, I have no clue where those pictures of the water came from, I went north and south as I could and didnt see anything of that sort.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

I've been riding & walking these trails for decades. They're terrific, especially considering they're surrounded by major highways & suburbia. Often never see another person & feel like I have it all to myself. Great county park.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Nice trail. Parking is free and out of the hustle and bustle if the park. We hiked the whole trail and had trails mostly to ourselves. Some wider trails for horses too but lots of horse poop on them. The trail is well marked. Follow the white blazes and your sure to have a very nice walk. Bring spray as well as it was very buggy today.

Saturday, June 04, 2016

I found this trail with the app while staying at the Melville Marriott and liked it. I did a mile or two extra because of my poor sense of direction but no big deal. I didn't see any of the horse manure that others talked about. I also didn't see another person while I was running and the quiet was nice. There were some hills, but the trail is not at all technical. All told I enjoyed it.

Thursday, June 02, 2016

Growing up in Huntington you see the beauty of Mother Earth continually slip away year after year. This trail represents that beauty that once was and I'm happy that it's preserved. The trails are nice and the best trail in the preserve is marked by white lines in paint on trees, courtesy of the greenbelt conference of Long Island. Definitely worth a few hours of your time!

Monday, May 09, 2016

Great hike to walk good amount of uphill and downhill and good views.

Sunday, May 08, 2016

The nearby horse stables use the trails for horseback riding. Consequently, you'll find yourself ankle deep in horse dung through a lot of the trail. The inevitable flies hover around the ground. Some nice views and I read somewhere that the site has the highest point on Long Island but I can't get past the horse dung.

Friday, January 01, 2016

Easy hike but took a group of men and boys from the church. They had a hard time keeping up. It was a beautiful day. They were impressed that we made it to the rock. Supposed highest place on Long Island. Looking forward to doing different hikes with the group. Did the hike on 12/12.

Monday, December 21, 2015

Not clearly marked but a beautiful quiet trail

Monday, November 09, 2015

Not clearly marked. We followed the red dot trail but continuously veered off. Otherwise nice, easy and pretty.

Monday, November 09, 2015

Nice easy trail

Saturday, October 10, 2015

I started this hike from the Reservoir Road entrance. Go all the way to the end of Reservoir Road and park on the right. Enter the woods on the right. The trail will veer to the left and going this way you will get to the top of Jaynes Hill pretty quickly. However, you need to follow the trail down and take it all the way out to the picnic area by the West Hills Park parking area. Here you can relax at one of the benches and have a lunch before heading back as you came. Note that the trail heading back to Reservoir Road is more challenging with some decent inclines and the 43 steps back the top of Jaynes Hill is a nice work out.

The trail is marked pretty well in my opinion. There are both single and double blazes but they seem to both stay on the same trail. If you feel uncertain of following the trail or getting lost bring a compass and have a mobile device that can access Google maps. The app will give you a satellite view and you can see where you are and monitor your trek periodically to make sure you are going where you want to go.

The trail is not very crowded and it is a peaceful hike. I would consider the trail to be between easy and moderate. The only bad part is that the path uses horse trails at times and the ground, rocks and mini boulders can be hard on your feet. And of course you need to watch where you step.

Saturday, October 10, 2015

The West Hills Park trail is basically the same trail as Walt Whitman Revisited.

The trail is not very crowded and it is a peaceful hike. I would consider the trail to be between easy and moderate. There are some elevations to get through and the 43 steps to the top of Jaynes Hill is a nice work out. The only bad part is that the path uses horse trails at times and the ground, rocks and mini boulders can be hard on your feet.