West Hills Park Purple and Orange Loops

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(325)
West Hills County Park

West Hills Park Purple and Orange Loops is a 6.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Melville, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.8 miles Elevation Gain: 610 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

Enter at the dog park entrance on Sweet Hollow Road. Between Memorial Day & Labor Day there is an attendant and it costs $13 to park. If you don’t want to pay you can go to Reservoir Road and enter there. Once you enter the parking area turn left and go down to the end near the bathroom building. The picnic area is on your right. Walk through the picnic area and enter the woods. Keep moving to your left and you will pick up the white trail blazes. There are both single and double blazes but they seem to both stay on the same trail. While there are spots where you come to a fork in the trail and you have not seen a blaze mark for a while the trail is marked pretty well. If you come to one of those aforementioned forks just follow one path for a while. If you see a trail blaze just keep going. If you don’t see a blaze go back and try the other path and you will likely pick it up there. The trail will end at Reservoir Road. You will know you are near the road when you pass an abandoned playground and falling down bathroom building. Continue down the path and you will see a gate which is the end of Reservoir Road. Turn around and follow the trail back. The trail is not very crowded and it is a peaceful hike. There are some elevations to get through and the 43 steps to the top of Jaynes Hill is a nice work out. The only bad part is that the path uses horse trails at times and the ground, rocks and mini boulders can be hard on your feet.

private property

Great area, beautiful surroundings, but I wish you luck trying to follow the trail in the app. There are many diverging trails that make it incredibly difficult. I started at the reservoir road entrance and doubled, tripled, quadrupled, I don’t even know how many times circling the same paths. Very few markings and signs.

Didn’t step in horse poop even once.

Careful of horse poop! Fun easy trail

Great trail, we did both sides in about 3 hours1 really pretty but very easy to get lost on the Jayne’s Hill side.

private property

Would recommend this trail. Make sure you know the map. Very easy to get lost. Trails have not been remarked in a while. Couple signs have fallen.

Perfect conditions. Spacious trails.

Nice hike with challenging terrain and enough trails to avoid traffic.

I hiked the West loop this time. Not sure if I have a preference between East and West loops. Both are great and nice gradual elevation changes. Beautiful hiking trails, well marked.

I would not recommend this to novices. The trails aren't well marked and it's easy to get turned around. watch out for the horse poop.

Nice long trail. Not many people. There are horses along the way. Some trees were down and lots of horse poop on trail.

Great trail not too many people. Perfect for just getting out and moving

Really nice hike did not feel like Long Island

nice trail, fairly empty. couple dog parks along the way.

trails are good. poop all over though, horse and dog. easy to get off trail in some spots as areas open up. horse can be seen at one point in the trail by the houses. which was cool. dog park was nice. after the hike I let my girl play. unfortunately as the case with most all dog parks, owners bring in their unacclimated dogs which then leads to issues. in my case another dog attacked my 7mo dobe. lucky everyone's ok. just a small gash under her eye.

Great park with lots of trails and interesting things to see. A few trees down here and there, but a lot of varied trails both in the woods and on more trafficked carriage roads. Kind of easy to get lost and miss trail entrances, I def had to make my way back someway entirely different than intended. Found myself on a main road at two points and had to figure a way back into the park. All beautiful areas, though! Not many people. Excellent for walking your dog.

Awesome cross crossing trails. Horses use trails from the appearance of the poop on every trail. The Jane’s Hill was a let down if you’re looking for a view but the trails all over are really fun and woody. My favorites were the hill top trails where you ride the ridge line. Most importantly, DOG FRIENDLY!!

The worst marked trail I’ve ever walked. Took the fun out of the hike because we were constantly wondering if we were lost and got on quite a few wrong trails. How hard is it to mark a main trail? Better off using a map and compass like I did for 23 years in the Army. No maps along the way, poorly maintained. Not impressed.

It’s been more than 30 years since the last time I hiked from west hills to Jaynes Hill. It has changed so much, I remember when I could see all the way to the ocean. It would be great to see that again someday.

Overall this trail is an easy hike... the things that make it not so great include the insane amount of horse poop everywhere and it’s really overgrown in places. I came across 2-3 downed trees that were blocking the trail. In many places the path was like walking along wet sand at the beach. I was also literally the only person out there on a Sunday morning which made it super creepy when I saw a random guy in basketball shorts and sandals kind of hobbling down the path. I ended up turning back around at that point but that’s my fault for going out alone.

I did have a nice time on this trail, my dog did as well. But I do have to say this, be careful with trying to attempt the big loop around because it’s very long and tiring for you and your dog. But over all I’d do it again!!