Welwyn Preserve County Park Loop

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(53)
Welwyn Preserve County Park

Welwyn Preserve County Park Loop is a 2.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Glen Cove, New York that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 206 feet Route Type: Loop

A gorgeous trail with breathtaking views of the beach. Perfect for a quick 2 hour walk on any day

Loved how you can walk through the woods and end up at the beach! Trails were overgrown and definitely needed better markers. We went into the wrong entrance but ended up finding our way back.

Not crowded. Turn into the Holocaust entrance to find it. Fun ruins forest and a beach.

Holocust center, alot of graffiti, hits the LI sound, trail wasn’t that well marked

We did not do the whole loop... walked down to water then back along pond and crossover to trail back to parking lot. Definitely need trail map.... trails need to be maintained but adequate. Surprised to see creepy graffiti ruins along the way. View of the sound lovely

I did not like the trail stunk by sitting water swamp if u wanna call it smells bad.....Walk and workout on beach was great

closed

no entrance to the place

One of my favorite trails - forest, the sound, a jetty, some abandoned buildings... so much to explore. Been coming here for 20 years and still find new trails to follow. This was my first time following this specific trail and it brought me somewhere new. Would do again. Should also note that there are signs everywhere stating that dogs aren’t allowed, but I saw six throughout our trip.

closed
private property

Great little local walk. Loved exploring the old ruins. Great view down by the water of the sound.

Nice little walk plenty of modern ruins to explore with multiple environments.

Not dog friendly

CHECK FOR TICKS

Totally overgrown, trails in bad shape. Tons of ticks anytime of year. Poison ivy over the entire northeast section. Use caution.

I don’t even know if we found the right trail, there are no signs or markings anywhere. We parked by the Holocaust Center, a trash-filled lot full of broken glass. We found a couple overgrown trails with graffiti-covered ruins and trash all around. We turned around and got out of there. Not recommended!

I am a Glen Cove resident, and I must say the trails in those woods are terrible over grown and in need of a little TLC. Come on Glen Cove clean up your act.

an unusual hike on Long Island. the trails are not maintained and over grown, and poorly marked. we went in August and it seemed like a jungle at times. we felt lost though it is small enough to not get too worry. we will try again in the fall.

Visited on Friday, trail not well marked, overgrown bushes, buggy, not able to do the loop because of it. Walked paved road to beach and walked along beach... that was nice!

recorded Recording - Jun 27, 01:44 PM

The app bugged out cause I had no service but we did the loop within 95 minutes. We walked at a slow pace and taking time to enjoy the beautiful woods, beach, and wildlife. brought Gemma (dog) and she loved it and even made me doggy friends too

Mon Nov 05 2018

This place is absolutely beautiful. I was so happy to hear about this place by a friend and will be going often with my pup!

Sat Nov 03 2018

This preserve is a hidden gem of Glen Cove. The preserve has an array of habitats including a tulip tree forest, small streams, a small pond, marshlands, and the Long Island Sound. Some trails are wide and others can be narrow and slightly overgrown in the summer. There are many smaller trails that branch from the main trail. Also, there is a nice jetty on the beach. Finally, the preserve has rich historical background, once belonging to the oil magnate Charles Pratt and his family. After hiking, check you and your dog for ticks.