Watkins Glen Gorge Trail

Watkins Glen Gorge Trail is a 2.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Watkins Glen, New York that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

Watkins Glen State Park in New York is one of the most well known parks of the Finger Lakes region. Within two miles, the glen's stream features 19 waterfalls viewable from the hiking trails. The gorge trail features stone steps, and meanders past Glen Creek and the waterfalls and through Cavern Cascade, providing spectacular views that make this one of the best state parks. The South Rim Trail and the Indian Trail provide views of the gorge. Campers and day-visitors can swim in the Olympic-sized swimming pool, go on guided hikes through the gorge in summer, stay overnight in tent and trailer campsites, have lunch in the picnic facilities or do some fishing in nearby Seneca Lake or Catherine Creek, where in the mid-May you can find rainbow trout.

The trail and scenery along it are lovely. However this place is way too touristy for my liking. A lot of people seem to have no concept of trail etiquette and it blows my mind how many people wear flip flops to do this! It’s wet and slippery even when it hasn’t been raining! Please don’t be a hazard to yourself or others!

very beautiful

Very nice hike, quite a few steps if ypu go all the way up. On weekends there is a ton of people as it is very touristy. Going around some of the waterfalls gets tricky as alot of people congregate around them and make passing them very difficult. try it in the middle of the week when there are less people and its a great hike.

good trail. moderate rating is accurate. good views from gorge trail.

Absolutely stunning; favorite spot I’ve ever been. Many stairs so not friendly to those with disabilities or issues with stairs. Also proper shoes required as it gets very slip! Seems a lot long that 2.4 miles each way lol. My map my walk usually says around 6 miles from from the pool parking lot. So worth it!

Beautiful trail!

Love this hike! We do it about once every two years. So pretty and fun for all ages.

Easily my favorite place in the world. If you're anywhere near this park, it's absolutely stunning, and a very fun park to explore. A moderate hike that's mostly paved, but with a LOT of steps - The views are worth it. I've done this trail with a knee injury and was able to do most of the steps without issue. It can get very crowded, especially during fall foliage season, but worth the crowds for the scenery!

Easily one of my favorite hiking spots. There are so many unique waterfalls and overhangs to walk under and around. Be prepared to get wet, as some of the waterfalls fall directly on the pathway. Dress and pack accordingly.

Like walking through Rivendell!

Beautiful trail. We went early in the morning, so there weren't many people, but I can imagine it is pretty crowded during the day. There are signs everywhere saying no dogs on the trail, but if you have a well-behaved dog and you go early enough that it isn't crowded, I'd dare to say that you could take your dog on the trail. The path is fenced in the whole way, I think they are scared of dogs jumping over the fence.

Hands down the prettiest gorge trail I have been to. Took my family here during graduation weekend.

Beautiful park and trails however the Gorge Trail Does NOT allow dogs it is posted on all of the trail heads. There are other less scenic trails that do allow dogs.

beautiful views...chilly in the gorge and lots of steps. slippery in the gorge too so be wary for those with knee or mobility issues.
enjoy!
not dog friendly

Beautiful. Very easy

Scenic all the way!

Beautiful scenery. Pretty busy when I went on Columbus Day weekend. Lots of steps but other than that a very easy trail.

Beautiful but very crowded place! We went there after days of heavy rainfall and the water was pretty muddy, which spoiled the views a little, but we loved it anyways.

Absolutely LOVE this place. We stayed in Oneida village. Very peaceful and spacious. Will definitely be coming back soon!

The scenery itself was amazing!!!! However, a narrow trail combined with way too many people made this a hike that was just not enjoyable.

Been here twice. The first time I came was in the winter and the Gorge was closed due to fallen trees from a storm. We went on the Indian trail and sort of climbed down into the gorge from there and snuck in. Seeing it in the winter when there was no one ese around was pretty magical. Came again in the summer and it was definitely crowed but still just as beautiful.

beautiful walk I only got to see just a little of the gorge trail because they don't allow dogs on the trail so I didn't see to much but from what I did see it was exceptional... they should allow dogs on the gorge trail and because they don't I probably won't go back.

This is a beautiful trail with lots of falls and pools to visually enjoy but the heavy touristy traffic makes if difficult to get a 'great picture.' If you can hike these trails during off peak seasons, it would prove rewarding.

Beautiful... but crowded

You just have to hike this trail! Just do it!
We hike north to south, all downhill.
This is one of those hikes that words cannot properly describe.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Beautiful - amazing to see the gorge and how the water has carved it. It became crowded and a person actually started to push me at one point of congestion.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Beautiful falls, caves, and cliffs

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Beautiful, but crowded with folks that weren't very trail friendly.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Very cool spot with awesome views. Pretty neat getting to walk under the falls and through caves. You will get a tad wet from the splashing water! Unfortunately quite touristy and hard to navigate around the crowds of people. Recommend a visit though!