Vroman's Nose Loop Trail

Vroman's Nose Loop Trail is a 1.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Middleburgh, New York that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.7 miles Elevation Gain: 456 feet Route Type: Loop

It is one of NY State's most popular hiking destination with spectacular views from many rock outcrops on the top of steep cliffs. The main trailhead for Vroman's Nose is a large grassy parking area off West Middleburgh Road. There is a sign for the busy parking area. From the parking area, follow the old woods road toward the right and immediately begin to climb. The overall elevation gain for this hike is 485 feet, but the grade is gentle enough with some steep sections. After 0.25 miles the trail leaves the old woods road to the left (reroute in 2012) and still climbs. At 0.4 miles reach the junction of another trail on your left. This is a newer loop trail that this loop hike follows and will be your return trip. Soon the aqua blazed Long Path comes in from the right to join the main Vroman's Nose Trail. There is a campsite for Long Path backpackers near this junction. Now you've reached the top, or as it is sometimes called "The Dance Floor". Enjoy your walk along the edge and at 0.9 miles reach the last outcrop before the trail begins a quick steep descent. Some people turn around here and return the same way, which allows you the opportunity to enjoy all the views again. Our hike has you going down this quick steep pitch. At 1.0 miles reach a trail junction on your left. The main loop and Long Path continue straight, steeply descending. However, turn left and follow this new level trail. At 1.4 miles reach the junction of the main Vroman's Nose Trail and turn right. This was the trail you took up the hill. Now descend down the hill. Follow the well maintained and well used trail back to the parking area. The overall distance for the hike we described is 1.8 miles.

Quick up and big open views.

Beautiful views! Not a hike for little, little ones. My son is 8 and did well, I’d say not under 6-7.

Fairly easy hike. You can follow the trail in a large loop up to the summit and back down but there’s also a trail that connects the loop in the middle as well. About a mile and half total.

Very easy hike, brought my 3 year old and he hiked with no problem! The views are wonderful! Go on a clear day!

Great views on farms and amazing cliffs!

A fun hike ! A little slippery but not to bad

Make sure to hide your belongings in your trunk. Many cars were broken into today before noon. Very sad for the people who were there with kids and had to go through the smashed windows, loss of purses and wallets, etc. Terrible! Hike was nice. Cliffs are steep, but views are lovely.

Easy hike with great views. Plenty of families and dogs!

Great trail. I’m out of shape, so my friend and I did stop a few times so I could catch my breath and it took us 40 minutes to get to the top but so worth it! The view was beautiful and I imagine it’s even better when fall is at it’s full peak. I think this is one for all skill levels.

A great short hike with beautiful views at the top. A little steep just before you reach the “dance floor” but any 7 year old could handle it easily. “Officially you go up the green trail and loop down the blue. The blue it is steeper. Most people go down the way The came.

Great views slightly steep for being rated easy. Easy to follow trail took the green loop counterclockwise.

Arrived early sunny Saturday morning. Very few cars in the parking area. Three of us followed the green blazers to the "dance floor" and were impressed with the outstanding views of the valley. Rather than return the way we came up, we continued via the loop which has a pretty steep descent (trek poles help here) and then connected to the green trail back to parking. Will return for a sunrise view.

great day hooking with the dogs

Easy hike with a pretty view at the peak. Dog friendly.

Great dog trail

I love this hike, the view is amazing. I don’t suggest doing the loop though. I suggest taking the green trail that branches to the right up then turning around and taking the that trail back down.

I hiked up Vroman's nose to catch the sunrise. I started at around 5:40am and was up to the top by 6:00am (I took the blue trail up). I was using a headlamp, and missed the green (the easier) route up. Oh well. I enjoyed my sunrise on Vroman's nose by myself. :)

Dog friendly with great views

Great hike great conditions

Great hike. Going up is a nice steep climb at certain spots but very doable for the average person. Lots of families at all ages. The view is worth the effort. Every spot at the top is a great photo shoot. Flew my drone at the top- it was outstanding.

Great trail to take Cub Scouts on for a quick hike

Amazing views!

Great trail for everyone! The return loop is a bit steep at first with some loose rocks and dirt so some may enjoy the hike better by turning around after the final summit and using the more clean cut path they took in. Multiple spots with amazing views overlooking the valley. Beautiful hike in all seasons!

This is a great trail and hike. The walk on the trail on the right side of the loop is very pretty through the trees and relatively gentle on the ascent. I would actually recommend doing this loop clockwise as it is steeper and thus would make the overall hike easier. we found it quite steep on the way down. This hike is rated as easy and although we did this with our 5 year old I would rate it as moderate. the ascent on the green trail when you go clockwise is very steep for a short time. This part of the trail is not for the average person who is unprepared. If you are less skilled stick to the counterclockwise approach and you will be fine. Enjoy the views, it is great!

Easy hike definitely recommend it

1st hike in a long time! pretty easy if your in good shape. allot of roots and rocks and some sections are steep! the view is worth it and enjoyed watching Hawks.

very steep, I would tare moderate for those not used to the quick elevation