Vischer Ferry Trail

Vischer Ferry Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Clifton Park, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

beach

historic site

Vischer Ferry Nature and Historic Preserve is a 600-acre preserve which includes the area between Riverview Road and the Mohawk River in the Town of Clifton Park. The Preserve has three areas of interest: a wetland ecosystem, the remains of the Erie Canal, and the site of the towns first settlement Located through the preserve, there are historical markers providing information dating back to the early 1900s. This wetland provides an excellent habitat for many species of birds and plants.

Cool wildlife but it smelt really gross.

The trail is wonderful and I would give it a 5 star rating were it not for very poor sign posts.

Beautiful summer afternoon for a hike. The bright sun and cool breeze made for an enjoyable walk to Lock 19. We saw several blue herons and a huge snapping turtle in the old canal.

The only drawback today was the copious amount of goose poop in several locations along the path. There was so much that it smelled like the poultry barn at the county fair.

Lovely but poorly marked trails.

Beautiful and quiet. However, the trails along the river a not all that well marked. The tow path along the old canal is straight and flat good for an easy walk, bike or run.

Easy trail...very buggy at dusk!

We walked the boundrary when we found trails we took them. Came out short distant from lock 19. Beautiful place...

Walked the tow path down to Lock 19. Trail was in good shape. Plenty of people out enjoying a blustery day. Tons of migrating waterfowl.

Really nice trail brought my dog for a walk

There are a few different trails that connect to a perimeters here. The outer path near the river has reeds 10 to 15 feet tall. Lots of geese flying in this time of year. Pretty highly trafficked, but I've gone twice, and plan to again. The airport is close by though, and some planes come close overhead.

9.22.17
The northern section of the loop mapped in this app, 3 stars. Primary: Well kept & maintained mostly cinder path. Secondary: wide & narrow of dirt, grass, & roots. Apparently well traveled by horses as there was manure throughout.
The southern section of the loop mapped in this app, 1 star. Primary path: Beginning on Tyhe western end traveling south east was a cleared path of dirt, grass, & rocks. After about 1200 meters it devolved into an uneven rocky path only vehicles or hikers in covered gear should attempt & then further down only if on horseback. After that it becomes blocked by thick brush & virtually impassable even with a machete. Thankfully I had GPS & a signal seeing how much further I had to go. The only reason I even contemplated going further is due to all the brush I suffered through to get to where I was, but now seeing the trail was all but non-existant I turned back. Half maybe three quarters of the south east loop mapped here is nonexistent. I became very anxious as I was alone. Eventually I made it back feet & legs wet, muddy (see photos), & somehow tick free. Started out a good experience that ended horribly.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

I don't know how because it's just a loop, but we ended up going the wrong way. it was very buggy, a little stinky. not my favorite hike at all.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Map doesn't match trail either.

Monday, June 05, 2017

We hiked this trail last Friday. We ended up taking a wrong turn during the hike due to there being no trail markers. Our 5 mile hike turned into a 7 mile hike. I really enjoyed walking along the canal tow path. Really neat! Lastly, I want to make note that the following day after this hike we found 11 ticks total on my dog. Either leave your pets at home or make sure they are up to date on their flea and tick meds!! Check yourself and your pets after the trail. We will not be returning.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Nice day to check out old Lock 19 on the Erie Canal. The re-surfaced trail was great to walk on and the critters were out enjoying the spring sun.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Trail is not marked. Easy to get lost when there is snow covering the trail.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Trail is not marked, but is relatively easy to follow so long as you know where you are going. Take your time looking at the map and think about it before you go off the main trail. However, even if you do get lost the place is not very big, just give yourself ample time to get back to your car. Keep your sense of direction in relation to the river and you should be fine, when you're going back on one of the shortcuts back your back should be to the river.

Friday, November 25, 2016

November 2016: Trails aren't marked and it's easy to walk off on what appears to be a trail (and easy to get lost). I also think the map at the entrance is outdated. There are many large trucks parked on the trails.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

closed oct 8 - 14 2016

Saturday, October 08, 2016

Whipple Bridge!!!!!

Friday, September 16, 2016

I have visited a number of times, always during the summer. The only time I didn't enjoy it was when I forgot the insect repellent. Be warned! Can be very buggy.

This is a great place to observe wildlife as there are ponds, swampy areas and of course the river. I have seen frogs, butterflies, bees, dragonflies, herons, kingfishers, turtles and flocks of turkeys here.

Monday, September 05, 2016

This is an easy trail with areas of shade to cool you from the sun. Easy walk and has a couple small bridges over the water. Look for Eagles and Herring, butterflies and frogs. There is also picnic tables ( 1-2 ) and a coal grill you can use by the water. Bring bug spray although not terribly buggy just here and there. Our second visit here and will come again for a nice easy walk. Pet friendly on leash.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Nice walk.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Buggy and snakes. Trails are not marked. Very green and easy walking.

Monday, June 20, 2016

I pretty much love the preserve. Not really sure who wrote the main description, but while yes, once in a while you might see a horse or two being ridden on the trail, it's not primarily for that. Lots of walkers, runners, dog-walkers, bicyclists though. There are a good number of fairly easy trails to use. My favorite is along the Mohawk Scenic Towpath Byway. Some pretty awesome things to check out along that route that starts at the main entrance of the preserve and travels west to the Rexford side of lock 7 in abt a 6 mile round trip trek. There's also abundant wildlife to spy along the way.

Saturday, March 12, 2016

We had a nice walk on the trails. There were some ducks and we did see a brown bat hanging from a branch but that was pretty much it. Lots of picture perfect areas. Dog friendly trail and a picnic bench area with a grill. Perfect place for a picnic lunch. Trees were already budding too!

Saturday, February 27, 2016

This is one of my favorite places to go and think. During certain points in the year it is extremely buggy and there is no escaping it, so I agree with Jill, you should probably have some insect repellent handy.

Saturday, September 19, 2015

I hiked this trail during the summer. It was very buggy so make sure you have insect repellent. If it has rained recently, it can get muddy so be prepared. The trail itself is flat but scenic. I enjoyed seeing the muskrat dams.

Monday, September 07, 2015

We walked about 8 miles of the trails throughout. We saw a blue heron and the history and seeing the canal was very interesting. Great views of the Mohawk River. A lot of wildflowers throughout and the terrain is sometimes on wooded paths and others through forests of flowers.