Vischer Ferry Trail

Vischer Ferry Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Clifton Park, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

beach

historic site

Vischer Ferry Nature and Historic Preserve is a 600-acre preserve which includes the area between Riverview Road and the Mohawk River in the Town of Clifton Park. The Preserve has three areas of interest: a wetland ecosystem, the remains of the Erie Canal, and the site of the towns first settlement Located through the preserve, there are historical markers providing information dating back to the early 1900s. This wetland provides an excellent habitat for many species of birds and plants.

I don't know how because it's just a loop, but we ended up going the wrong way. it was very buggy, a little stinky. not my favorite hike at all.

Map doesn't match trail either.

We hiked this trail last Friday. We ended up taking a wrong turn during the hike due to there being no trail markers. Our 5 mile hike turned into a 7 mile hike. I really enjoyed walking along the canal tow path. Really neat! Lastly, I want to make note that the following day after this hike we found 11 ticks total on my dog. Either leave your pets at home or make sure they are up to date on their flea and tick meds!! Check yourself and your pets after the trail. We will not be returning.

Nice day to check out old Lock 19 on the Erie Canal. The re-surfaced trail was great to walk on and the critters were out enjoying the spring sun.

Trail is not marked. Easy to get lost when there is snow covering the trail.

Trail is not marked, but is relatively easy to follow so long as you know where you are going. Take your time looking at the map and think about it before you go off the main trail. However, even if you do get lost the place is not very big, just give yourself ample time to get back to your car. Keep your sense of direction in relation to the river and you should be fine, when you're going back on one of the shortcuts back your back should be to the river.

November 2016: Trails aren't marked and it's easy to walk off on what appears to be a trail (and easy to get lost). I also think the map at the entrance is outdated. There are many large trucks parked on the trails.

closed oct 8 - 14 2016

Whipple Bridge!!!!!

I have visited a number of times, always during the summer. The only time I didn't enjoy it was when I forgot the insect repellent. Be warned! Can be very buggy.

This is a great place to observe wildlife as there are ponds, swampy areas and of course the river. I have seen frogs, butterflies, bees, dragonflies, herons, kingfishers, turtles and flocks of turkeys here.