Vernooy Falls Trail

Vernooy Falls Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kerhonkson, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.3 miles Elevation Gain: 639 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Such a nice hike, enjoyed by our whole group! It was really buggy when we started out, around 9:30am, but tapered off as we climbed and it got later in the day. The trail wasn’t too muddy, but there were lots of rocks on the path - hiking shoes are nice for this trail, if only to protect against stubbed toes. A nice, steady climb leads to the beautiful falls. We sat by them on the rocks for almost an hour, with tons of butterflies darting all around. A perfect spot to bring a picnic and dip your feet in the cold water! For most of the hour we sat there, we were the only people at the falls - we saw almost all of our fellow hikers on our way back. Highly recommended!

The parking lot on the Cherrytown Rd side is under construction. So park along the roadside. Don‘t follow the sign pointing up a gravel road for “parking.“ It‘s a private road and leads to zero parking, it’s hard to turn around too. They should take down the State Preserve sign, it‘s confusing. But they‘ll probably be done with the new lot in a few months. Nice trail this was my third time here. I’ve parked in the past at the “Vernooy Falls from Long Path” site, which is a shorter, flatter 1-mile walk. I liked this trail, and we brought our dog. Not too steep, a bit of climbing.

The trail and falls were great. On the way back we saw a timber rattlesnake on the side of the trail. It didn’t bother us and we had no issues but when I went home and talked to friends I learned that the trail is known for it’s rattlesnake population. I wish I had known that before going. Just be aware and stay on the path.

Great hike. The falls were beautiful. We stayed for almost a hour. The hike was a good climb but very doable for my family - 2 adults, 5 kids (7-15). The trail was well marked, cleared, and spacious. There were spots of significant mud, but it did not stop us. Waterproof shoes are helpful. There are a few areas of water that you need to cross. Overall a favorite of ours to date.

Awesome trail, conditions are fine, a little muddy at spots and some descent inclines on the way up. Well worth it all when you get to the falls, just sit and chill.

lovely, rewarding hike. easy 1.3miles to the falls which are quite spectacular! you can swim in the falls if you're feeling adventurous. bless the previous commenter for noting how buggy it is, reminded me to pack my mosquito spray which is a MUST for this hike. still a bit muddy in May '19.

nice easy hike a tad muddy but there has been a lot of rain, also very buggy.

good little hike , falls are beautiful, did this on a thru hike to denning for a trail inspection report for the LP

Very VERY icy — and much of the trail is also washed out by melted ice in places. Best in crampons, microspikes of Yak Traks. But I loved it!

Beautiful, easy hike with gorgeous falls!!! Such a wonderful hike and barely elevation but still satisfying. Will return in the summer for some nice swimming!

I saw a black bear only a few hundred feet from the trailhead! It crossed the trail and looked right at me, but didnt seem interested. Not a hard hike at all, but very wet during a downpour. Luckily I was wearing waterproof boots

It's not a difficult trail but make sure to wear comfortable and ankle supportive shoes.

Great waterfall at the end. There is also a campsite at the falls, if you wanted to hike in and spend an evening. Most of the trail is creek bed, with about 1-2 inches of water present after a rain in most portions. If there is heavy rain, be prepared to climb over a few logs.

Moderate trail even after a heavy rain. Payoff is the beautiful series of waterfalls.

Monday, July 16, 2018

Excellent hike. Trailhead was not difficult to find based on the AllTrails directions. It took us right to the parking lot which had signs towards the trail across the street. The path was wide for the most part and very easy to follow. There was one confusing part about 1mi into the hike which was a fork in the path. There were two wide paths so we did not know which one to follow, but we stuck to the right and it took us the correct way. At the end we took a swim in the water which was cold but felt amazing as it was a hot summer day. The hike back was a breeze, mostly downhill. The hike to get to the falls was not very challenging and perfect for a quick and easy thing. Mostly shaded. Took us 40min, and the way back was maybe 20min. Would do it again! Very fun.

Saturday, July 07, 2018

Easy hike. Nice Forrest views with a small set of falls at the top. Great place to cool down. Quick little hike

Monday, July 02, 2018

Easy hike , falls were visually appealing.

Friday, June 29, 2018

Nice hike and beautiful waterfalls.

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Easy walk on washout road . Very cool spot to spend time at the top

Sunday, October 22, 2017

TRAILHEAD IS ACROSS THE ROAD FROM PARKING AREA! Moderately challenging hike with lots of rock under foot... be sure to wear hiking shoes for this one. Peaceful, beautiful trail with delightful cascading falls at turnaround point. Really enjoyed this one!

Sunday, September 24, 2017

The unstable footing on loose rocks makes it very challenging for senior hikers. A large tree across the path also was difficult to negotiate. For more agile hikers (almost everyone), it's a beautiful trail with a lovely waterfall at the top.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Great hike! We parked on Upper Cherrytown and followed the map on AllTrails to the falls. A good portion of the hike to the falls was uphill and was pretty difficult for me, but it was totally worth it! The only downside was that we ran into a group of 15-20 young kids at the falls, but it is summer so I guess that's bound to happen. The water was pretty freezing, but that didn't stop our dog from enjoying it!

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Moderate to easy trail, would be easy but for some wet muddy spots and more then a few loose rocks. Widish trail with a steady rise. Saw lots of wild flowers but the real payoff is the falls, well worth the hike! The mileage listed on the trailhead sign was a couple tenths of a mile off. It's closer to 2 miles one way but the multi step falls make it a good destination hike.

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

The waterfall is very nice, great camping spot

Saturday, May 27, 2017

It was awesome. But the continual upgrade and tons of rocks on the way to the falls combined with a very wet trail today made it quite a challenge! It was right after a rainfall, so we knew we would get muddy trails, but there was streams running down the trails! Lol! It was all worth it when we got to the falls! Great day! Ages ranged from 5 to 54!

Saturday, April 08, 2017

This is such a beautiful cascade and swimming hole.. The snowmobile trail is much flatter and less of a workout.

Monday, March 13, 2017

A nice, fun relatively short hike. Easy to find, gradual climb which is not strenuous at all and then a nice waterfall and place to have lunch.