Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Vanderwhacker Mountain is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Minerva, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,706 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The fire tower on Vanderwhacker mountain provides a spectacular view of the Adirondack High Peaks. The trail is marked with red disks. Sign in at the trail register. Within the next mile, you will cross several small creeks and pass around a wetlands. Then, the trail splits. The old road (now a snow mobile trail) continues to the left, while the path you want bears right. After passing two cabins used by the fire observer, you begin a strenuous climb. After another mile, the climb becomes more moderate. Soon you reach the fire tower. Climb the tower and enjoy the panorama to the north.

45 minutes ago

We had a beautiful hike yesterday - mostly dry. Great views- worth the effort.

icy

Good views. The half after the cabin is really steep. There was still some snow and ice on the upper 1/4 but we got through it without spikes pretty easily.

Even though it was pouring rain I really enjoyed hiking up this mountain. It is VERY hard to find and the trail rests a bit further up from where you park. Once on it the climb is pretty steep for a good bit before finally letting up to some amazing views. Can not wait to go back here when it is not raining and I can truly enjoy the breathtaking views

icy

Great hike! Be mindful of snow and ice near the finally accent. Could have benefitted from my spikes but was able to climb without them! There is a small overlook at the top with amazing views of the high peaks!

icy

I'm guessing it's because of our current pandemic situation, but the trail to and from the fire tower is not well marked at all. There are many downed trees and it is easy to go off trail. With the tower being closed off to climbing it, the views from the summit were less than spectacular. I did see a coyote a long the way. I don't usually see too much wildlife on these hikes, so that was really cool. This is #23 in the fire tower challenge for me. I did the hike on Monday 4/20/20.

Definitely didn’t read the fine print about the seasonal road that lead to the trail head ... made the hike 11.1 miles total. Used micro spikes — definitely some fall through and sliding at this point. Trail was very poorly marked and, due to the time of year, trees were down everywhere. BEAUTIFUL view at the fire tower, though.

Typical awesome Adirondack mountains. The trail starts easy but the last section is a tough climb. Great views with a lot of big name mountains all around. Check out my full write up along with things to look out for. eastcoasthiker.com/trails/vanderwhacker/

The 2.6 mile access road is for 4-wheel drive and if you have enough clearance to get over the first little hill you'll be fine the rest of the way in. 5-6 inches of snow at this point and a gorgeous hike! We had the mountain to ourselves...and a ton of animal tracks!! :)

icy

If you like walking miles in a stream, this hike is for you!!! Insanely muddy, slightly steep in parts, and very slippery. The views and the mini waterfalls make up for it but it’s definitely on the harder side at times. The drive in is no joke either. I’m not sure a car would make it to the trailhead.

The drive in is fun. Easily manageable, just pay attention to potholes and rocks sticking out the ground. The parking area is very small. The first half of the trail is pretty easy. Don't underestimate the second half of the trail. As others have mentioned, once past the Observers Cabin the trail gets significantly steeper. With all the recent rain the upper trail is VERY wet, making it basically a stream - gaitors and poles will come in very handy. Views from the top are stunning. The AllTrails app kept yelling at me that I was off-trail. I clearly wasn't. I'm guessing the trail has rerouted slightly over time.

Vander What? So I turned off of 28N onto a narrow gravel road, single lane, that soon became mostly rugged and not maintained. I would advise that you go in a 4x4 type vehicle with plenty of ground clearance. I have 8"+ on my SUV and I know some of those rocks were close and would have hit or even damaged the underside if I had less clearance. The book Views For On High gives a great description on what to expect during the hike. The trail was well marked (red DEC) and obvious; in fact wide in all but the mile of the draw/wash section which was narrow by comparison. This hike had few views of the ADK until the top. The tower was open but no views today as the base of the cloud deck was at the summit. Enjoy!

nice hike. foggy. no views. tower number 6 for us. btw the All trails app tracked us at over 6 miles.