Van Lone Hill Loop Trail

Van Lone Hill Loop Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, New York that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 948 feet Route Type: Loop

great trail and length white to orange blazes. the scenery was really beautiful and going in and out of the pine forests was really fun. the last part of the trail near the gate is a big hunting area. make sure you're wearing orange.

Great dog friendly trail. Trail marks have been recently refreshed but make sure you pay attention to them.

I’m looking to find out what type of large predator is in this area! Couple close encounters but no one willing enough to help me look. Just wondering if anyone has seen or heard anything, thanks!

not an effortless hike! this trail has everything... uphill, downhill, rocks, mud, tree roots, and enough wide flat trail that it's not frustrating or overwhelming. my phone crapped out so my recording was lost.

I just reviewed this trail. apparently my recording was saved so it's asking for another one!

Connecticut Hill loop, thunderstorm, turned around at 1.22

The trail was in pretty good shape considering how much rain we have had this spring/summer. A few bridges are missing but all the crossings were easy enough. I'd recommend bringing poles or a walking stick.

Great trail to walk. Definitely take a walking stick. Parts of the trail were muddy but so much to see. Waterfalls, deep woods, ravine sights and a few paved roads. We saw a stone foundation and crossed the old bridge. Made quite a memory.

Very muddy and with lots of bugs. That might be because it rained recently. I am not sure if I agree with the moderate rating. I’d say it was more difficult.

bridge out

We loved this trail. The things we disliked were the mud holes throughout (expected with the weather). Parts of the trail were hard to find the marker. Also if you are looking to stay on the trail indicated in this app you need to follow the white markers, then once you get to the box to sign in you should follow the orange markers! Otherwise halfway through you will go off the trail designated on this app. Lastly, the second bridge is out so we had to put some rocks down to cross.

Tue Jan 15 2019

Great short and quick hike. Pay attention to trail markers though!

Sun Jul 22 2018

Great place to hike! Very nice!

Sun Jun 10 2018

Great scenery the whole way. Very peaceful. Took my dog, he enjoyed cooling off in the streams along the way. Only saw one other person, and it wasn’t until the very end, when we were almost back to the car. Some mud, LOTS of bugs. Glad I brought my bug spray. Don’t agree with “hard” rating. An easy “moderate” rating is probably more realistic.

Mon May 14 2018

Have taken this loop many times. Take the loop section (about 2.5 miles) to the FLT connection to either return for the loop or extend the hike as an out n back.

Sat Nov 04 2017

Camped for 1 night. The camp site was small but quite flat and comfortable. We just caught the last bit of beautiful autumn leaves!

Tue Aug 15 2017

Don't forget, a portion of Connecticut Hill is so called "haunted".

Sun Aug 13 2017

Had a lot of fun on this trail. Got off course for almost a mile and had to turn back to the orange/red trail. Great for my dogs!! Did not run into anyone on the trail.

Wed Jul 19 2017

Trail gets a little tricky in spots, make sure ya pay attention to the trail markers!

Wed Jun 14 2017

Wear bug spray!! Lots of bugs (standing water) throughout the loop. This was my first time taking the trail and got a bit confused at times so I'd recommend going with a friend and checking out a map periodically. Overall a fun place to run or hike and I only saw one other person the whole time (mid week). Hills weren't very steep, I'd allow 3 hours to complete.

Mon Feb 06 2017

pretty simple and beautiful trail. still water turns to flowing. follows the stream.

Sun Nov 06 2016

Great hike! I haven't been out in quite a while, so it was a moderately difficult trail for me. Great views most of the loop. I recommend starting by going up the road portion of the orange trail and ending on the white along the creek.

Mon Oct 10 2016

This was a VERY difficult trail to complete, not because of the terrain but because it is not a well marked trail and VERY easy to get off the correct path. The Google gps has different coordinates than the trail actually is, so I couldn't rely on that and it got me lost for about an hour and a half. I recommend you go with someone's who's done it before. A lot of the trail is up hill and I swear it was up hill starting and finishing. A frustrating hike for me but the woods are beautiful.