Van Lone Hill Loop Trail

Van Lone Hill Loop Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, New York that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Camped for 1 night. The camp site was small but quite flat and comfortable. We just caught the last bit of beautiful autumn leaves!

Don't forget, a portion of Connecticut Hill is so called "haunted".

Had a lot of fun on this trail. Got off course for almost a mile and had to turn back to the orange/red trail. Great for my dogs!! Did not run into anyone on the trail.

Trail gets a little tricky in spots, make sure ya pay attention to the trail markers!

Wear bug spray!! Lots of bugs (standing water) throughout the loop. This was my first time taking the trail and got a bit confused at times so I'd recommend going with a friend and checking out a map periodically. Overall a fun place to run or hike and I only saw one other person the whole time (mid week). Hills weren't very steep, I'd allow 3 hours to complete.

Monday, February 06, 2017

pretty simple and beautiful trail. still water turns to flowing. follows the stream.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Great hike! I haven't been out in quite a while, so it was a moderately difficult trail for me. Great views most of the loop. I recommend starting by going up the road portion of the orange trail and ending on the white along the creek.

Monday, October 10, 2016

This was a VERY difficult trail to complete, not because of the terrain but because it is not a well marked trail and VERY easy to get off the correct path. The Google gps has different coordinates than the trail actually is, so I couldn't rely on that and it got me lost for about an hour and a half. I recommend you go with someone's who's done it before. A lot of the trail is up hill and I swear it was up hill starting and finishing. A frustrating hike for me but the woods are beautiful.

Monday, September 26, 2016

Moderate difficulty in fair weather. Beautiful 3-4 hour walk.

Monday, September 12, 2016

This was a nice hike as a backup plan yesterday. I had planned to do Slide Mtn in the Catskills but it seemed like it would be too wet in that direction. There were some nice inclines on the Van Lone loop but nothing over 30 or 35 degrees. So I would say the difficulty of 'hard' is a bit much. I managed this hike fine without a walking stick so I'd say 'moderate' at most. The straight part of the trail was a dirt access road so not as hikey as I likey. But overall it was a very nice hike with good scenery.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Mostly well-marked and where it wasn't, we had a brief feeling of adventure. Relaxing, entirely wooded, shady, some decent climbs, devoid of other people.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Well-marked, well-traveled trail for the most part but not clear where to divert from the access road when making the 5.8 mile loop. Drought conditions had the river bed virtually dry and stagnant water made for a few bugs. Decent incline at times but no real vistas. Not a bad trip from Ithaca (35 minutes).

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Awesome trail! We went on a day that it rained so no one else was on the trail. Well worth the trip.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

The whole trail is very scenic. We personally got a bit confused at the end of the straight path, but we ended up ok. Trail keeper is very polite. Careful on where you park your car, because it could mean quite the climb at the end or at the beginning!

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Nice clean trails, minimal people, a hidden gem!

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Hiked this loop with the family today. I really enjoyed this trail. Personally, I would rate this hike as moderate instead of hard. There were some challenging climbs but easy enough to do while carrying a toddler on our back. I will definitely be hiking this trail again and again!

Monday, September 07, 2015

Great hike, bring bug juice. The scenery was excellent

Saturday, August 01, 2015

The beginning of the hike along the water was really nice. When we turned up to do the climb the terrain got really muddy (it had rained in the morning but nothing crazy) We had fun trekking through the mud and trying to stay on the trail. There were some parts we had to check the map to make sure we were still going the right way. An adventure hike for sure, don't forget your bug spray!

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Great walk down the creek to start then turned up the hill for a little up hill time. At about the 3 mil mark or a little more we took the orange trial to return us to gulf road (6 miles total). Trail was marked but a little tough at times to follow if it is the first time you have hiked there. We took our 3 year old collie mix and he loved the water. There were no other people around all day. Great hike

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Wouldnt rate this as a difficult, pretty flat with moderate inclines. sure it would be much prettier with everything in bloom!

Monday, March 30, 2015

This is a beautiful hike with some climbing but is a definite must do! The trail follows alone the Finger Lakes Trail and then loops back to Gulf Rd on a orange blazed trail. The FLT section of trail meanders along a gorgeous creek and crosses two old trellis bridges, from the second bridge the trail starts climbing up and eventually reaches the trail register which is where the FLT intersects with the Orange blazed trail.

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Great 6 mile loop, intense climbs in some places, beautiful canopy covered trail with plentiful water features. This trail is well marked and not crowded in the least!

Sunday, September 29, 2013

A gorgeous way to spend a couple of hours hiking in the woods! The leaves have started to change color and although we are probably two weeks from peak colors there were some nice mixes of green, yellow, and red.

Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Nice 6 mile hike - leaves & plants just budding out. Stream flowing - just so nice. Worth the ride to get there!!

Monday, February 25, 2013

Great hike! Well marked even in 6 inches of snow. Lot's of elevation change and very challenging at points.