Learn more

Twin Mountain and Sugarloaf Mountain Loop Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(93)
Indian Head Wilderness

Twin Mountain and Sugarloaf Mountain Loop Trail is a 8.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Elka Park, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.9 miles Elevation Gain: 3,520 feet Route Type: Loop

Did devils path to Indian head to Twin to sugarloaf to plateau. Took a long time and was hard. This map shows a different option but includes 2 of the peaks I covered and they were hard but doable and very rewarding. Seek the viewpoints. There are some hidden. Use multiple maps to find em. Enjoy. Completed 4 of the 3500’s. Epic day.

Excellent hike with challenging terrain that’ll have you going “oh snap” quite a few times. Full review and video breakdown at Roulette-Travel.com

Great hike. Tougher than expected . One of the harder Catskills hikes I’m done so far. Had planned to do Indian too , but decided not to.

icy

Pretty passable with hiking boots alone for the first 2.6 mi on the way to Sugarloaf. Before the intersect with Devil’s Path at about 2700’ we had to turn around due to full snow coverage. Nice trail though with some small waterfalls!

turned back, needed crampons the microspikes were not enough. will be back next week with the proper gear

closed

FYI the trail between Pecoy Notch and Twin Mountain Peak is closed until further notice. Twin Mountain can still be reached from the east.

Hiked on Oct 1, 2019. Our first Catskill Hike after completing 20 high peaks in ADK. This trail was s beautiful walk in the woods into the last mile incline, which has a lot of rock scramble. But very manageable. The way down is always tough in this terrain, and with a bum knee, I was really slow for the first mile down. Unfortunately, we had to skip Twin bc if my stupid knee. It was a nice surprise to stumble into Dibbles Quarry and all it had to offer. Sat in a throne chair for a the last rest before hiking out. Total miles- 6.81. Time with stops to enjoy the changing leaves - 5 hrs, 35 mins.

Great view from Sugarloaf and Twin also had a nice view. I'm glad I didn't bring my dog because I wouldn't have been able to climb Twin if I brought her. There is a 10 or so foot vertical climb using just metal ladder rungs. The Sugarloaf hike was dog friendly though. Nice stone quarry along the way, as well.

Awesome pretty tough

I added Plateau to the start of the hike and hoped to do Indian Head as well, but ending up calling it after Twin. Definitely a challenging, but very rewarding, hike. Trails were in good condition and I only had to use a head net for the trail between Twin’s two summits, otherwise bugs weren’t bad

Wed Oct 24 2018

A tough one, but also very enjoyable. There is some scrambling and waterproof shoes or boots would be a good idea. Would echo another reviewer's comment to take the loop clockwise. That means that the ascent is shorter and steeper but we were glad not to have to have to climb down that steeper way, particularly through any wettish sections. On the midweek day in October we did the hike we saw no-one else.

Mon Oct 15 2018

Great hike. I was happy with my decision to go counterclockwise. Hike starts out mellow and works up to a fun scramble up the west side if Sugarloaf. Trail was wet and covered with leaves which made it a little tricky. Once up and over the top of Sugarloaf the descent on the east side is steep but fun. I then hiked up to Twin Peaks. Another really fun scramble, challenging in a few spots. Great view from the top. On the way out I stopped and relaxed at the quarry for a few minutes. Nice view from there also. Hike took about 6.5 hours. I would recommend wearing a good pair of hiking boots as the ground is uneven on most of the trail.

Tue Sep 18 2018

I've done both Devil's Path in-full and recently hiked this section again by entering via Pecoy Notch. Pecoy has a gradual ascent into the notch of Sugarloaf and Twin, with low difficulty and an awesome rest stop at the quarry (to the junction and back on Pecoy can easily be done in 3hrs and is not dangerous at all). If you do the full loop, know that the west side of Sugarloaf (via Mink Hollow) is very steep. If you are looking for less scrambling, I recommend just doing Twin Mountain, as there is only a small section of steep scrambling. The eastern peak has a better viewpoint. Dogs are not recommended, unless you like lifting them.

Mon Jul 30 2018

Really fun and engaging hike. There is significant uphill up to Sugarloaf and quite a bit of fun scrambling throughout, however nothing too technical and dangerous in my opinion-no scrambling along a ridge line, etc. I did it solo in about 6 or 7 hours and felt totally safe. The only thing to note is that the area is generally very wet so many of the rocks are a bit slippery, and i do think this would be very challenging to attempt on a rainy day. Sugarloaf does not offer great views, but toward the top of Twin is really spectacular and not that much more of a climb once you have made it to Sugarloaf. Enjoy!

Sun May 06 2018

This was my first real hiking. Since I am a crazy person and like to push my body, I start with this very hard trail. Oh my God, this trail is very challenging. I would not recommend for someone to do it solo or out of shape. People must be careful and pay attention of your footing. I don’t want to scare anyone, but people can get hurt very badly on this trail. Stay safe.

Mon Jan 22 2018

This is the most difficult part of Devils Path. I did it from Mink Hollow and climbed Plateau and Sugarloaf. On 1/21 crampons (not just microspikes) were very useful

Sun Dec 24 2017

Twin mountain has such an excellent summit view.. and the sugarloaf view is also one of my favorites in the Catskills. you can see the Shawangunks in the distance!

Sun Dec 03 2017

Great hike. Very challenging. Left flashlight at home so started descending from the top during sunset so had to use iPhone as flash light. Be aware of animals at sunset. There are two spots with a great view. However I went all the way to the top as well thinking that’s where the best view would be but there was no view from there. Good luck to anyone it’s definitely a great experience :)

Sat Oct 21 2017

Did Twin Mtn trail from Pediger Rd. Decent hike. Lots of rock scrambles. Nice pano view near summit. 4-4.5 hrs.

Fri Sep 22 2017

A tough uphill. Real huff and puff. No view on top of Sugarloaf ( just a tiny 3 rock cairn to mark summit). Still worth it. Rocks are slippery so use caution.

Sat Jul 15 2017

Difficult but fun hike .

Sat Mar 25 2017

Had to change out of snowshoes and into spikes for the final ascent. There was too much scrambling for snowshoes( (3/25/17), though at lower elevation they were very useful. Only made Twin. One of the better, more technical trails in the Catskills I think, especially in winter conditions.