Trout Pond and Mud Pond Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(47)
Delaware Wild Forest

Trout Pond and Mud Pond Loop is a 7.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Roscoe, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,660 feet Route Type: Out & Back

To get to the trailhead, follow the path downhill from the parking lot and turn right onto a road that descends parallel to Russell Brook. At the end of the road, turn left and cross the wooden bridge. There will be a trail register on the left. Continue left at the fork and follow the signs to Mud Pond.

Turned out to be a beautiful, beautiful hike on a phenomenal day. Beautiful section within the forest, crossing some small creeks. Nice viewpoints around the lakes for lunch. 3 hours 40 minutes walking time for us.

This hike features 2 small lakes (Trout pond and Mud pond). The lakes were the most rewarding out of this hike. The rest of the trail takes you through a variety of forest scenery. From a field of baby birch trees to rows of pine trees, it’s all picture perfect. Please be mindful of trail markers to avoid taking the wrong turn. In addition, if you’re starting your journey from the trailhead parking lot (Russel Brooke Rd) don’t miss the waterfall after the path bridge. It’s about 2 minutes into the trail and make an immediate right after the path bridge. There are no signs depicting that there’s a waterfall so don’t miss out. I really believe more people should experience this hike! It’s beautiful.

Tue Sep 18 2018

Hiked in from Campbell Brook Rd parking lot. The first quarter mile of the trail was streaming with runoff, waterproof shoes would’ve helped. The rest of the way is a lovely walk in the woods. We found a canoe, it wasn’t anywhere near a site, so we took it for a quick spin. Thank you to whoever’s canoe that is! Dug the makeshift paddle. We continued around the west side of Mud Pond and understood how it got it’s namesake. Trail was a muddy mess, it’ll suck you in to your ankle if you don’t stick to the sides of the trail. We camped at Mud Pond, great place to get away for a night ⛺️

Mon Sep 17 2018

Pretty ponds, a couple lean-tos, and a few sites to camp, up and down hill walk in the woods.

Mon Jun 25 2018

Good trail for running - not super rocky or technical.

Fri Apr 20 2018

Hiked to trout pond from cambell mountain. The hike was good exercise but there is a parking area closer and the short distance means more people. But all and all not bad

Mon Apr 09 2018

So note to self, bring snowshoes next time just in case. Anyways I started from the trailhead at about 7 pm which gave me about 45 minutes to reach the first lean-to by dark. Thankfully the trail was well marked because there wasn’t a single footprint in the 6-9 inch deep snow. So I hoofed it over to the trout pond lean-to just as the sun dipped behind the horizon and had the entire place to myself. Got a fire going and some food cooking and my friend Jim Bean kept me cozy till the firewood was all spent. A little rat/squirrel woke me up around 4 as it scratched away at the little log book in the hut but beyond that I didn’t hear anything besides the water in the rushing stream nearby. When the sun rose in the morning it was a fantastic view of the frozen pond. I headed back out and plan to return when it’s warmer out. I’ll leave some photos for the curious

Sun Mar 25 2018

A moderate hike up to a lovely pond perfect for taking a dip. Will definitely be returning here in the summer

Sun Sep 03 2017

East to moderate hike to 2 ponds. just walking in the woods.

Wed Aug 16 2017

Hiked this trail on New Years Day! Cold but beautiful!

Mon Aug 14 2017

Thu Aug 03 2017

Camped here in February in a hot tent and also in July,both experiences were absolutely amazing. The sites are first come first serve so it would be wise to hike in as early as possible on a Friday to get a good spot right off the lake. The views are beautiful and it's just far enough away from civilization to not hear vehicles passing and still be able to get out quickly in case of an emergency. I'll definitely be returning here for years to come.

Sat Jul 29 2017

There is camping allowed in this area, some close to parking some that require going a ways in, some lean-tos as well. Rocky but mild inclines. One section is shown as a road on the map but is more of a snowmobile trail. Can be done as a 4.4 mile loop, which I would rate as easy

Wed Jun 21 2017

I just came back to Trout Pond after 30 years. Still an awesome place to camp and hike. So many good memories here, and now I was able to pass these on to my kids.

Sun Jul 17 2016

Nice relaxing afternoon hike. We swam for a bit in trout pond. It's quite warm for a mountain lake. Seems like a nice place to camp for the weekend.

Fri Jun 24 2016

The trail is beautiful and winding. The entire first mile is uphill, so it can get somewhat difficult but it's nothing too bad. There are really great old building foundations from a time where this once was a habited area. .....So bring your camera and a great hiking stick!!!

Wed Apr 27 2016

Hiked in from Morton Hill Rd. and camped at upper lean-to on Trout Pond. It was beautiful over looking the lake and the weather was nearly perfect. We dragged a canoe up to the pond with all of our gear for the long weekend. What an epic battle getting uphill to the pond... We were quite surprised to see vehicles drive in and out once we reached the pond. We asked how they got in, but our questions were met with some abrasion. Seems like somebody is sharing a key. The folks we asked did not appear to have any disability. Funny, cause one of our group has a paralyzed arm and can only carry minimal gear... It was fun

Wed Feb 11 2015

Question: Why is the Season only June Thru Oct. ? Regulation or weather? Thanks all! Will report back - planning on this being an early year outing if I can get up in April or May.

Sun Oct 05 2014

Can someone provide directions to trailhead? where do you start and where do you park? thanks!

Sat Sep 20 2014

We have done the Mud Pond/Trout Pond round about over hill and dale and over the mountain top, too, and it was a difficult, not impossible, but lovely hike in which you got to see America rise and fall in terms of its acquaintance and departures with and from the wilderness, per se. There are some old foundations, as you come back from Mud Pond and head over the mountain towards Trout Pond, and you can see that this was once a "settled place" among all that is now forgotten. Kind of sad in a way. We were out for a walk. We didn't expect to encounter history staring us in the face, and the voices of the dead and departed calling out to us from the grassy fields. It is a wonder to take a walk through history whenever it presents itself. Hallowed ground it was, in a way, but no tombstones.

Sat Aug 17 2013

Nice moderate hike with two gorgeous lakes.

Fri Sep 03 2010

We were coming from Walton so took Jug Tavern road off of rt. 206 and made our way to the parking area so did not have to walk on the road. Nice waterfall at the beginning and if it is warm out I highly recommend taking a dip to keep you cool on the hike. As mentioned it is a loop which is nice and we went left at the fork to go to Mud Pond first. Very pleasant relatively easy hike. In early September the falls were chilly but refreshing.