Tongue Mountain Range Loop Trail

Tongue Mountain Range Loop Trail is a 11.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bolton Landing, New York that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A great loop hike that brings you along the shore of Lake George then over 3 small peaks on the Tongue Mountain Range This is a wonderful hike. You will park at the southern trailhead for the Tongue Range, Clay Meadows next to a quarry. From there you will follow a nice trail around the shore of the lake to Montcalm Point where you'll have great views of the Narrrows. Then you'll gradually ascend the southern end of the Tongue Range over 3 nice peaks with great views over the lake below.

Did the full loop in one day. Absolutely exhausted by the end. Too cloudy to see anything from most of the peaks. Still a fun challenge. The northwest bay trail was very muddy. The rocky sections on the peaks were very slippery.

This trail is pretty brutal if you try to do it all in one day but offers amazing views of Lake George for most of the hike. There are very few water sources on the ridge so if backpacking bring enough water to get you through the day. I went through 4 liters doing the whole trail. As others have said the trail is probably closer to 20 miles (what my fitness tracker said) and is not for children or people out of shape. Several descents from peaks are fairly steep so watch your footing and be wary of rattlesnakes. I did see one on the trail close to the entrance. Make sure to step on logs and not over them to avoid getting bit by anything hiding on the other side.

Entered the woods (from Clay Meadow Parking Lot) at 3PM. At Trail Junction, we proceeded clockwise, even going down to the lake passed Deer Junction for a quick swim. From there, we backtracked to Fifth Peak and made it by sunset, camping there for the first night. The following morning, we ascended French Point, then First Peak, and made our way to Montcalm Point by 3PM, and set up camp there for the second night. The next morning, via the Northwest Bay Trail, we finished the loop by the early afternoon.
NOTES:
1. There is very little drinkable water anywhere near Fifth Peak, French Point, or First Peak. Good news being, there are small creeks that look more like a series of puddles that contain murky water, so be sure to have a water filtration system if you're trekking that eastern portion of the loop (which is the most scenic and breathtaking, literally).
2. If going off trail (in pursuit of water), be vary wary about rattlesnakes, and keep your eyes alert to the ground ahead of you. We were very close to stepping on one, coiled up.
3. Near the tip of Montcalm Point, there are several campsites that are very welcoming.
4. Behind the Lean-To at Fifth Peak is another excellent campground, including a number of hollowed out tree stumps that work great as fire-pits.
5. Over 3 days (in June), we saw just a handful of people, and all of those people were very close to the parking lot and not carrying any gear. We saw nobody at all on the eastern half of the loop, along the peaks.

I hiked this in May 2015, along the lake first then up the mountains. Phenomenal views of Lake George. I remember the trail markers were hard to follow on the way up; lots of blow-down between peaks. I made a weekend of it; camping by the 5th Peak Lean-to. Great perch. Like another comment, this is definitely around 15 miles.

Great trail, absolutely beautiful. HOWEVER, this is NOT 11.8 miles. If you plan on hiking the entire loop (I recommend hiking the steep side of the range before the lake side), prepare for at least 15 miles; not sure what the exact length is, but we had a GPS running that clocked us ending at 16 miles, and we excluded the 1/2 mile at the last 'AllTrails' view point. Make sure you bring at least three liters of water, and you may need at least 2,000 calories. 3 people, of varying hiking experience, finished this trail in 9 hours.

Some very nice views on top. However most of it is in the forest.

Good moderately-difficult trail. Very nice views of Lake George. Definitely hike the Tongue ridge before the shore side. Be wary of sparsely marked trails that are not well worn by foot traffic. I lost the trail a few times.

Fun hike! We did the loop counterclockwise (like some of the recommendations) to get the "harder" part of the hike out of the way. Had just rained the day before, so some of the rocks we're slippery and the trail near the lake had some swampy areas. Marked fairly well the entire way. Encountered a ratllesnake as well. Overall, good hike, good workout, good views. Definitely not for people who are not skilled at hiking. We did the 12 mile loop in 7 hours (including stops).

challenging trail excellent views a lot of the trail actually in several small streams throughout the higher sections adding to the difficulty

This was a nice 12.4 mile loop hike that we did. The only issue is there was a lot of blowdown on the trail along the side of the lake and trail markers were scarce on that side also.

Outstanding vistas of the Green Mountains at the top, great fall and spring hike.

This is one of my favorite hikes in adirondacks. Decent length and very beautiful hike. I did this over the summer I would love to do it again one fall while the leaves are changing. definitely to someone who has done a few hikes and is looking for something nice.

Great views and one of the most difficult hikes I've ever done. This was a test to see how my girlfriend and I have come along in hiking and we barely passed. I definitely recommend going clockwise or you will hate yourself, unless you are doing this in multiple days. If you are doing it in one day however, definitely get the peaks over with as it is a long and grueling trail for sure. Had one mishap at the lean-to where we had to backtrack in order to find the trail, but other than that it was great. If you are not confident in your skills/health do not hike this.