Tongue Mountain Range Loop Trail

Tongue Mountain Range Loop Trail is a 11.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bolton Landing, New York that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A great loop hike that brings you along the shore of Lake George then over 3 small peaks on the Tongue Mountain Range This is a wonderful hike. You will park at the southern trailhead for the Tongue Range, Clay Meadows next to a quarry. From there you will follow a nice trail around the shore of the lake to Montcalm Point where you'll have great views of the Narrrows. Then you'll gradually ascend the southern end of the Tongue Range over 3 nice peaks with great views over the lake below.

Good moderately-difficult trail. Very nice views of Lake George. Definitely hike the Tongue ridge before the shore side. Be wary of sparsely marked trails that are not well worn by foot traffic. I lost the trail a few times.

Fun hike! We did the loop counterclockwise (like some of the recommendations) to get the "harder" part of the hike out of the way. Had just rained the day before, so some of the rocks we're slippery and the trail near the lake had some swampy areas. Marked fairly well the entire way. Encountered a ratllesnake as well. Overall, good hike, good workout, good views. Definitely not for people who are not skilled at hiking. We did the 12 mile loop in 7 hours (including stops).

challenging trail excellent views a lot of the trail actually in several small streams throughout the higher sections adding to the difficulty

This was a nice 12.4 mile loop hike that we did. The only issue is there was a lot of blowdown on the trail along the side of the lake and trail markers were scarce on that side also.

Outstanding vistas of the Green Mountains at the top, great fall and spring hike.

This is one of my favorite hikes in adirondacks. Decent length and very beautiful hike. I did this over the summer I would love to do it again one fall while the leaves are changing. definitely to someone who has done a few hikes and is looking for something nice.

Great views and one of the most difficult hikes I've ever done. This was a test to see how my girlfriend and I have come along in hiking and we barely passed. I definitely recommend going clockwise or you will hate yourself, unless you are doing this in multiple days. If you are doing it in one day however, definitely get the peaks over with as it is a long and grueling trail for sure. Had one mishap at the lean-to where we had to backtrack in order to find the trail, but other than that it was great. If you are not confident in your skills/health do not hike this.

This is a long hike, but pretty straight forward. It'd be difficult to get lost. when I feel the need to get away from Suburbia, this is usually the hike I choose.

I agree with Jim Zack and most others on this. My gf and I just completed the loop in 2 tenting overnights. We enjoy the camping experience as much as the hike. We started at Clay Meadows to 5th Peak (day one). Across the ridge, lots of ups and downs, some are difficult (this is not young child friendly); to Montcalm Pt and around a bit to find a tent site (day 2). There are several fire pits people have made by the lake (likely unauthorized) but you should tent at least 150' off trail and away from the lake.You will not find a water source until you reach the point so the 3.5 ltrs we each packed was perfect for us for hydration, coffee making (my constant need) and cooking. Lake George is drinking water so it is potable although I still boil or filter anyway (I hate diarrhea) :-) The return to Clay Meadows parking area is a nice easy hike but is poorly marked (well over a full mile with no trail markers) and has lots of downed trees. It is easy to lose the trail especially with freshly fallen leaves on it. NYS DEC maintenance is glaringly lacking along this portion of the loop. I also noted that both All Trails and Gaia GPS tracking did not show us precisely on the trail for much of the hike although we were clearly on it. Use common sense in navigating if you get off the trail at any point. I'd also like to mention that although I was actively looking for rattlesnakes the closest I came to seeing one was the shed skin of a 3 footer.

This is a great loop. Definitely not for novice or sneaker-lycra hikers, but if you carry enough water and snacks, you can get some great views of Lake George, the Green Mountains, and the High Peaks. I think the 11.8 miles in the description is a bit short of actual mileage, but we took a the Yellow trail to the Fifth Peak lean-to, which added nearly a half-mile. I think you want to do the loop clockwise, as the range is pretty grueling and I wouldn't recommend waiting till the end to do it. Don't be fooled by the low peak elevations; there is a lot of up and down between each of the five peaks. Montcalm Point is a great place to rest and dunk your head. There are a lot of downed trees on the shoreline trail, and the Blue trail markers aren't always visible. Hug the shoreline and you will find the trail if you get lost going around the big trees that have fallen. Total time 8.5 hours, estimated distance 13.2 miles (AllTrails app crashed on me).

We did it as a backpacking trip. Start early. Pack light. Bring lots of water. There are no sources of water on the ridge. Once you get to the point the trail out is pretty easy. The views were spectacular.

It was the best hike. But now I cant feel my legs ))
Better to start as early as possible, because we finished at 7 and it's getting dark already around this time.

This was incredibly hard if you do the entire 12 mile trail, which we did. You need a lot of water. At least 2.5 quarts per person and plenty of food. Start early! We started at 11 and ended at 6:30. We had to do this at a fast pace. The views are spectacular. You can see the lake from many different angles. After the tongue mt lean to are the incredible views. We never found a Montcalm point sign. It's unclear if we saw that but maybe we did since we did the whole loop. All in all it took forever, and we are exhausted. We did go in the lake near the end and that was delightful.

This hike was great. But the mileage was way underestimated. We did the whole loop and our fit bits registered about 20 miles of hiking. The views are breathtaking though. Even saw a rattle snake but he just went the other way! We camped at 5th peak and the view of the mountains was great but the lake view is obstructed. Would have been nice to sleep on first peak! Watched the fireworks on the forth of July and again they were obstructed which was a bummer but from first peak they would be amazing! Still a great and strenuous hike worth doing! Bring lots of water and be prepared for the ups and downs!