Timp Torne Loop Trail

Timp Torne Loop Trail is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tomkins Cove, New York that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Start at the Anthony Wayne Recreation Area and hike into Bear Mountain State Park via the Fawn trail. The Fawn trail intersects the Timp Torne trail which you can follow South up the ridge leading to Western Mountain then turn East towards Jones Point overlooking the Hudson River. This also makes a great hike. When you reach Timp's peak, you have a great (distant) view of Manhattan. Bring food and water!

From 9W where the trail head launches the immediate 2 Miles are a strenuous 350 foot ascent. We hiked underneath a storm system covering the lower Catskills and the north side of bear Mountain...but it only rained for the last 2 hours. The trail was very icy and slushy in most parts and I would not advise hiking without micro spikes bc it would be way too dangerous. Please be advised that there are other trails that intersect with this loop and it is VERY EASY to lose your way! This is a difficult hike in every sense of the word when conditions are this icy and wet. We handled it gracefully, however you must bring heaps of water and food to complete this journey. The views of the Hudson and the torne are exquisite but I feel they are more pretty bc the trail demanded such effort to survive. Hiking this in February requires a careful calculus of time needed to complete this loop, and with our gear and current trail/weather conditions we were lucky to finish before darkness.

I would probably not hike here in warmer months bc of growth and the other trails that intersect as it would make it too tight in the growth and trafficked. However, it is without question a beautiful part of rockland county and the hike offers tremendous terrain, elevation gain and careful decision making.

Have fun!

My husband and I didn't do the loop, we ended up starting off at the parking lot off of 4wd rd and ended up at the Ramapdo dunderberg trailhead parking lot.. Difficult hike with great views. Definitely recommend.

Careful around the loop at the end theres a mile long stretch where the trail becomes unmarked if you follow this loop exactly. Easy to get lost given theres a couple of intersections right there. Good trail, ran into a black bear close to the large cave on the trail

I did this trail last week. Very good challenge. The inclination will push you to your limits. Here are few tips:

Summer Time Hike:
1. Better take some serious insect repellents. Mosquitoes will eat you. Honestly speaking am still itching.
2. Caterpillars everywhere on the trees, watch out where and what you are touching
3. Its too bushy in some places, I would suggest not to wear shorts.

Complexity: Hard
Terrain: Muddy and Rocky in some places. Mostly rocky
Trekking Pole: Needed if you are not used to rocky climbs
Foot Wear: Hiking shoe preferably ( Even though my Keen worked very well, but I had to watch out for the bugs, caterpillars and Eastern Newt )
Scenic View: Lots of spots actually
Water Stream: Few small streams but better carry your own water.
Trail Markers: Mostly follow the blue trail, but at a point you have to take 1477 foot path for the loop.

Good Easter Day hike took red out of parking lot up and around to blue great views of Hudson River and bear mtn bridge

Saturday, January 28, 2017

This hike surprised me with the amazing views it offered throughout the entire hike. In addition there were a couple cool features like an awesome cave halfway up. This hike should certainly not be labeled as "hard" though, definitely a moderate hike. The only downside is that there is not a great vista viewpoint at the end, but the views on the way up make up for it.

Friday, October 28, 2016

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a great workout, being that it was a steady difficult incline as well as steep descent (on the blue). The views on the way up were unreal! My friend and I couldn't stop taking pictures. When you reach Timp's peak, you have a great (distant) view of Manhattan. I would recommend you bring food and water. It took us about 4 hours, with a few stops. I'd say it would be best if you are active already and have done a few hikes before. Enjoyed it!

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Great trail with good views.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Great views

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Great! Beautiful views

Thursday, March 03, 2016

A good challenging preparatory trail for a larger backpacking trip, or hike. You can access west mountain, but the trail up, and down west mountain is a difficult scramble. With a thirty pound pack this trail is quite good, but I would recommend camping on west mountain.

Friday, February 12, 2016

Very challenging at times, specially at the beginning, yet so worth it for the amazing sunrise and sunset views! Didn't encounter any wild life. I'll definitely do it again

Sunday, January 17, 2016

I parked on 202 just past the anchor monument and took the Timp-Torne trail to The Timp and went back the same way. I initially wanted to go back on the RD, which I will do eventually, but unfortunately I was on a bit of a time constraint. The one negative about this hike is the pollution on the Hudson and the sound of the train because it somewhat takes away from being on a mountain. The trail has a lot of steep inclines and declines, but the switchbacks really help. The abandoned spiral railway sections are cool as well. The Timp is the star of this trail and to be honest it's one of the better views I've ever seen. Will definitely be going back.

Monday, December 07, 2015

great hike

Sunday, September 20, 2015

I started on the Timp and connected to ramapo dunderberg to go around dunderberg mountain. The hudson views were beautiful. You also have a spot on the other side of the mountain that gives you nice views of bear mountain. It was pretty quiet too not crowded at all. I went on a foggy morning so the views were a little hard but I heard at the first lookout on a clear day you can see nyc. Overall it was pretty strenuous but fun!

Monday, September 07, 2015

We combined the Timp, Bald Mountain and Dunderburg Mountain in one hike. Ended up hiking total of 8.5 miles (all strenuous ups or downs). Proper footing is recommended not only because of rocky trails all the way but we stumbled upon a 300 yards of steep descend on man-made bed of rocks (Railway stuff?) at the last part of our hike and was really difficult for our tired legs.

Thursday, July 09, 2015

We personalized an extended loop hike that ended up being about 17 miles. This was a pretty challenging day trip.

We drove into the Fort Montgomery historical site and parked. From there we took the 1777 Historical Trail, which is the red, until it met up with Timp Trail. Timp offered a pretty nice summit climb and good views. We looped around Timp and followed the Timp Trail (blue) allllllll the way down south to where it connected with the Appalachian trail, made the hard left, and started north on the AT. We then followed the AT all the way back to the bear mountain parking lot, and made a sorta risky 1 mile road walk back to the Montgomery Site.

Overall it was nice. Good mix of rocks and wooded trail. As a fit 20 year old this was hard but not too bad. Lots of ascents and descents on this path we took.... Our path was definitely the most difficult way around Bear Mountain Park, but we saw most of the park.

Sunday, July 05, 2015

Decent route. Good views of the Hudson. Trail head not well marked.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

It was a challenging trail but great views.
Didn't see any wildlife but still worth doing if your looking for a trail with good mileage & steep trails along the way

Monday, May 25, 2015

Did a partial hike of the Appalachian Trail, Timp, and Fawn. Was a great loop of about 6 miles starting at Anthony Wayne Rec area. The descent of the AT, with all the little streams, on the east side was great.

Thursday, January 03, 2013

Good hike with great views of the Hudson, Bear Mountain Bridge and if you squint on a clear day NYC skyline. It is a good loop if you are looking for a hike that is 4-5 hours with a couple elevation changes.

Friday, October 05, 2012

It's a great trail but strenuous, beautiful views. We did it in September excellent weather. Go early so you take all the rest you want.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Great hike! I thought it was longer than 8 miles though. It's doesn't have as much of a high elevation gain as some hikes but fantastic all the same. The views are great!

Friday, September 23, 2011

This is easily one of my favorite trails of the summer. The trailhead off of 9W is REALLY hard to see, but it's about 100 yards north of the parking lot. The marker listed on All Trails is almost exactly dead-on, though, so if you're tracking using GPS it should bring you right to it.

Anyway, we started on the 1777 trail and followed along a very well marked trail all the way until we branched off to the red trail. The hike in along 1777 is through really quiet forest without too much elevation gain. If you're looking to branch off for the Timp loop this is another spot where you need to keep your eyes peeled for the trail that loops around the Timp - the trail will be on your left and will be before you hit the well traveled Pleasant Valley Road to Bear Mtn. If you get to a point where the trail turns to pavement/ATV trails or you see a super old hut you've gone too far. Once you're on the red trail keep an eye out for those blazes as it's not as well marked as the 1777 trail. The red trail crosses some streams and gains more elevation until you hit the cross between the blue and red trails. We took a side tour onto the blue trail up the peak to northwest for lunch. There's a little AT-style hut up there and amazing views of the Manhattan skyline, definitely one of the highlights of the hike. We went back down the blue trail and continued onto the red trail, following some pretty rocky terrain while scouting out some potential bouldering and top rope spots, around the Timp, and then back down the 1777 trail. I think our total mileage was around 7.5 miles with lots of elevation gain since the trail undulates most of the way. It's a pretty rocky trail overall, so make sure you have good boots. Also, it's a pretty long day hike (especially if you hike up to the hut at the top of the blue trail) so make sure you bring plenty of food and water.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Nice views of the Hudson Valley & River (Ignore Indian Point) a little narrow around one side of the ridge. Spotted 1 eagle on this trip.