Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started
Learn more

Timp Torne Loop Trail is a 6.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Tomkins Cove, New York that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,788 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

Start at the Anthony Wayne Recreation Area and hike into Bear Mountain State Park via the Fawn trail. The Fawn trail intersects the Timp Torne trail which you can follow South up the ridge leading to Western Mountain then turn East towards Jones Point overlooking the Hudson River. This also makes a great hike. When you reach Timp's peak, you have a great (distant) view of Manhattan. Bring food and water!

Went yesterday (3/18) during this self-isolation period and it was just that! Saw maybe 10 people the whole hike. I skipped part of the loop because I left late and was worried about daylight (finished at 6:30): stuck to the left side of the loop, up to the top of Timp and back the same way. Cut off about 1.6mi. Trail was a good mix of rocky and smooth terrain. Good uphill spots - wouldn’t say any part was really a scramble. Always leveled off or dipped back down tho before becoming too challenging. Quiet trail made for lots of wildlife, including 3 white tail does about 40 yds in front of me. Red tail hawk as well, and 3 turkey vultures who seemed to follow me for a while. Neat cave about 20 mins in. Great hike. (Took about 2.5 hours out-and-back, but note I did not do the rest of the loop.)

Pleasant day hike. With foliage down, there are great views up and down the Hudson river, but a lot of views of the Indian point power plant. Trail is typical for the area - a well maintained mix of steeps and flats with lots of lichen covered rock (was a bit slippery the day we were out because of the recent rains). There was a large cave about 1/3 of the way up that we didn't venture into because it was flooded that day. Large parking area. At a modest pace, it took us about 3 hours with a lunch break at the top.

It was a less trafficked trail but the views were not that stunning as compared I have seen in other similar trails. It took a ya about 4 hours.

-neg: too many sections of either old road or atv trails. also some sections of trail(only hiking) is covered with man made pulverized stone which is very ugly. +pos: sum sections of hiking trail r fun scramble dancing, hardly traversed by many people fun. would like to maybe explore other options to skip the sections i dislike or think r boring.

This is a great trail. Parking is roadside. Get there early. Semi steep ascent but smooths out 1/2 way up. Great views. A must in this area.

The first bump of elevation gain is barely enough to get the heart going. Inescapable noise of society: traffic, trains, and manufacturing throughout the whole trail. If I didn't ride my bike to the trail I would of left bored and frustrated.

7/8/19 Very cool spot. Challenging elevation gain to begin with and then moderate difficulty throughout. Really good exercise. Very lush. Small cave along the way. Great views of the Hudson River. Bugs were mild, at least at this time if year. Trail was well marked if a touch overgrown in a couple spots.

6.14.19. In the lower reaches, I thought this trail was a bit so-what, but by the time I reached the upper levels, it certainly did not disappoint. I parked in the lot 200 yards away from the trail head and climbed on the Blue trail quite steeply for about 4/5ths of a mile, after which it leveled out a bit. Wild Honeysuckle perfumed the lower parts, while the Mountain Laurel blooms were out in force higher up. There are stunning views of the Hudson river at the top, as well as quite open woodland with a grassy floor. I continued on the Blue trail clockwise around the loop to the Timp; frankly, the 180º + view from here blew me away. (As did the wind up there.) The second third of the loop section was not blazed, but the final part is the 1777 trail which rejoins the Blue at a rather nice cairn. Then back down to the lot. All in all, a gorgeous outing, but tough on the legs. NB: we spotted an Eastern Timber Rattlesnake on the trail at the top. I took a photo and had it ID’d by NJ Audubon. So be alert up there! Here are my stats as a rough guide to what to expect: Distance: 8.9 miles (I took a wrong turn on the way back, so the entire thing is about 8.2) Elevation Gain: 1,857 feet Moving Time: 4:08:28

Sat Aug 25 2018

Not really a loop unless you turn off on the Ramapo-Dunderberg Trail for a few miles and loop back into the Timp-Torne Trail. Sick views once you reach bald mountain. Not an easy run, but a doable 7.5 Miles with just over 2000 feet of vert. Free parking and easy access from the Timp-Torne Trailhead on Route 202 (shorter and easier distance from NYC than Bear Mountain). Lots of wimpy reviews on here. I wear shorts, singlet, bring a few gels and a handheld water bottle, that’s it. https://www.strava.com/activities/1741097624

Tue Jun 19 2018

Solid hike, decent views and a cool cave. Nothing too crazy but enjoyable.

Mon Apr 02 2018

This should be an out and back trail. There is no need for the loop unless you just want to add miles and walk through the woods. Take the blue trail from the 9 up to the Timp viewpoint then just round the corner to see the Bear Mountain bridge. Beyond that, the loop is just a long climb down that you have to climb back up. You have to leave the blue trail, follow an old fire road by the creek and then meet up with 1777 trail and climb back up (with no views), kind of a waste and a real leg burner. I woulda been more than happy with the out and back

Sun Apr 01 2018

Take the blue blaze to the 1777 foot path blaze and connect back to the blue blaze to finish up. I'd just do an out and back to the Timp peak instead of the loop. The loop adds no value except additional miles. The loop descends into a valley only to reascend back up to connect to the blue with no additional sites.

Sun Feb 11 2018

From 9W where the trail head launches the immediate 2 Miles are a strenuous 350 foot ascent. We hiked underneath a storm system covering the lower Catskills and the north side of bear Mountain...but it only rained for the last 2 hours. The trail was very icy and slushy in most parts and I would not advise hiking without micro spikes bc it would be way too dangerous. Please be advised that there are other trails that intersect with this loop and it is VERY EASY to lose your way! This is a difficult hike in every sense of the word when conditions are this icy and wet. We handled it gracefully, however you must bring heaps of water and food to complete this journey. The views of the Hudson and the torne are exquisite but I feel they are more pretty bc the trail demanded such effort to survive. Hiking this in February requires a careful calculus of time needed to complete this loop, and with our gear and current trail/weather conditions we were lucky to finish before darkness. I would probably not hike here in warmer months bc of growth and the other trails that intersect as it would make it too tight in the growth and trafficked. However, it is without question a beautiful part of rockland county and the hike offers tremendous terrain, elevation gain and careful decision making. Have fun!

Wed Oct 18 2017

My husband and I didn't do the loop, we ended up starting off at the parking lot off of 4wd rd and ended up at the Ramapdo dunderberg trailhead parking lot.. Difficult hike with great views. Definitely recommend.

Thu Jul 06 2017

Careful around the loop at the end theres a mile long stretch where the trail becomes unmarked if you follow this loop exactly. Easy to get lost given theres a couple of intersections right there. Good trail, ran into a black bear close to the large cave on the trail

Tue Jun 27 2017

I did this trail last week. Very good challenge. The inclination will push you to your limits. Here are few tips: Summer Time Hike: 1. Better take some serious insect repellents. Mosquitoes will eat you. Honestly speaking am still itching. 2. Caterpillars everywhere on the trees, watch out where and what you are touching 3. Its too bushy in some places, I would suggest not to wear shorts. Complexity: Hard Terrain: Muddy and Rocky in some places. Mostly rocky Trekking Pole: Needed if you are not used to rocky climbs Foot Wear: Hiking shoe preferably ( Even though my Keen worked very well, but I had to watch out for the bugs, caterpillars and Eastern Newt ) Scenic View: Lots of spots actually Water Stream: Few small streams but better carry your own water. Trail Markers: Mostly follow the blue trail, but at a point you have to take 1477 foot path for the loop.

Mon Apr 17 2017

Good Easter Day hike took red out of parking lot up and around to blue great views of Hudson River and bear mtn bridge

Sat Jan 28 2017

This hike surprised me with the amazing views it offered throughout the entire hike. In addition there were a couple cool features like an awesome cave halfway up. This hike should certainly not be labeled as "hard" though, definitely a moderate hike. The only downside is that there is not a great vista viewpoint at the end, but the views on the way up make up for it.

Fri Oct 28 2016

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a great workout, being that it was a steady difficult incline as well as steep descent (on the blue). The views on the way up were unreal! My friend and I couldn't stop taking pictures. When you reach Timp's peak, you have a great (distant) view of Manhattan. I would recommend you bring food and water. It took us about 4 hours, with a few stops. I'd say it would be best if you are active already and have done a few hikes before. Enjoyed it!

Sat Sep 17 2016

Great trail with good views.

Thu Jul 21 2016

Great views

Sun Jun 12 2016

Great! Beautiful views

Thu Mar 03 2016

A good challenging preparatory trail for a larger backpacking trip, or hike. You can access west mountain, but the trail up, and down west mountain is a difficult scramble. With a thirty pound pack this trail is quite good, but I would recommend camping on west mountain.

Fri Feb 12 2016

Very challenging at times, specially at the beginning, yet so worth it for the amazing sunrise and sunset views! Didn't encounter any wild life. I'll definitely do it again

Sun Jan 17 2016

I parked on 202 just past the anchor monument and took the Timp-Torne trail to The Timp and went back the same way. I initially wanted to go back on the RD, which I will do eventually, but unfortunately I was on a bit of a time constraint. The one negative about this hike is the pollution on the Hudson and the sound of the train because it somewhat takes away from being on a mountain. The trail has a lot of steep inclines and declines, but the switchbacks really help. The abandoned spiral railway sections are cool as well. The Timp is the star of this trail and to be honest it's one of the better views I've ever seen. Will definitely be going back.

Mon Dec 07 2015

great hike

Sun Sep 20 2015

I started on the Timp and connected to ramapo dunderberg to go around dunderberg mountain. The hudson views were beautiful. You also have a spot on the other side of the mountain that gives you nice views of bear mountain. It was pretty quiet too not crowded at all. I went on a foggy morning so the views were a little hard but I heard at the first lookout on a clear day you can see nyc. Overall it was pretty strenuous but fun!

Mon Sep 07 2015

We combined the Timp, Bald Mountain and Dunderburg Mountain in one hike. Ended up hiking total of 8.5 miles (all strenuous ups or downs). Proper footing is recommended not only because of rocky trails all the way but we stumbled upon a 300 yards of steep descend on man-made bed of rocks (Railway stuff?) at the last part of our hike and was really difficult for our tired legs.

Thu Jul 09 2015

We personalized an extended loop hike that ended up being about 17 miles. This was a pretty challenging day trip. We drove into the Fort Montgomery historical site and parked. From there we took the 1777 Historical Trail, which is the red, until it met up with Timp Trail. Timp offered a pretty nice summit climb and good views. We looped around Timp and followed the Timp Trail (blue) allllllll the way down south to where it connected with the Appalachian trail, made the hard left, and started north on the AT. We then followed the AT all the way back to the bear mountain parking lot, and made a sorta risky 1 mile road walk back to the Montgomery Site. Overall it was nice. Good mix of rocks and wooded trail. As a fit 20 year old this was hard but not too bad. Lots of ascents and descents on this path we took.... Our path was definitely the most difficult way around Bear Mountain Park, but we saw most of the park.