Three Lakes Loop via Appalachian Trail

Three Lakes Loop via Appalachian Trail is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Putnam Valley, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

bridge out

The Three Lakes section is scenic and easy except in the very beginning. The AT half of the loop has steep climbs and not as much to see. We're not fast and we completed in under 3.5 hours. Next time I will take the side trail to look at the abandoned mines.

It was really nice and almost clearly marked for novice hikers but at the point where it loops back we got so lost we followed the blue dots across the creek which ended up being a different trail only realizing it when I looked at this app that we had gone way off the trail, we turned around and could not find our way back on the trail off course it was my first time using this app and didn’t want to pay for it not knowing if it’s any good so I used google maps gps to bush wack our way towards the parking lot finally crossing the return trail that now had white markers instead of blue. At the turn around point where we got lost an area almost appeared like there was a bit of a land slide cause the path pretty much disappeared into a bit of a cliff. It was great though. I will be buying this app

Nice trail, highly moderate in some spots, easy in others. Scenic and quiet. Although it was a beautiful day, few people on the trail, just like we like it.

I really enjoyed this trail. Beautiful scenery and two beautiful lakes.

The creek on the AT off Sunken Mine Rd was too deep to cross; a section of the beaver dam burst.
Returned via blue trail.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Nice long walk through nature and pretty lake view. The trail did not lead to any spectacular vistas, and even the hardest parts were not very challenging. I did find a tick on me so use bug spray! Overall, not bad; a good trail for beginners.

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Easy to find from the parking lot GPS and clearly marked with blue blazes. We only made it halfway because the rain started coming down in buckets.

It may have become more moderate in the second half, but it was very easy except for a couple of small uphill stretches and one small scramble towards the start. Overall it felt fairly remote and far from suburbia, however, there were a couple of dirt roads running through. The topography changed throughout the hike - lake, dams, etc - which was nice and the trees were pretty. I wonder what the second half of the hike would have been like -- from the map it looked a little confusing as to which loop to take. Would go back and explore this trail and Fahnestock in general more.

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Good trail. Use the many trails that intersect with it to make a nice "loop"

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Pretty good workout on this 6 mile loop. Varying terrain, with minor rock climbing as the trail runs up the rocks in 2 different places. Not too many good views, unless you like lakes, streams, marshlands, and a closed mine or two. This is backwoods with very little sounds, other than wildlife.

Saturday, August 12, 2017