Thompson Pond Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pine Plains, New York that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 75 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

Great trail totally recommend it. It’s beautiful and peaceful hearing the birds. Definitely coming back

Nice easy trail. Pretty muddy on the far side and the walking bridge over the water is getting a bit rough. But nice view. A few steep sides but nothing a five year old couldn’t handle.

I actually happened upon this trail by mistake, thinking I was taking the Stissing mountain trail.... and I was very pleased to make this mistake! It was a very peaceful walk/run. I intended to run it, but there were a lot of tree roots that would make tripping inevitable, so I could only run certain parts of the trail. I found a nice area near the pond to sit down and enjoy the sunshine. And oh my, the cows were a great surprise! There were ducks too. Also, there are two paths, a yellow and a white path. The yellow path was longer and is what brought me around this pond. I recommend this trail for a peaceful outing that can’t help but give you the appropriate does of me-time. Enjoy!

bridge out
flooded
icy

This was a very nice hike. I was pleasantly surprised by the beauty and the changing terrain. Some spots were grassy, some narrow with tree roots, other areas almost had the feel of a rainforest. It was raining on n off during our hike and it was very humid and LOTS of bugs and some wildlife. There were a few board walks and a wooden bridge that leads to some really cool cows at the end. The bridge has some areas that had fallen down and we're laying in the muck. It was still passable. I agree there are some spots of the trail that were overgrown, as well as on the bridge. Got caught by breyers several times. The cows were awesome and nice to talk to. Beautiful views of Stissing mtn. It was very peaceful and very nice views of the pond/lake.

bridge out
Fri May 24 2019

The first boardwalk through the wetlands if you go right on the white trail at the info board has a broken spot, where it sinks into the water on the right side. A 4x4 has been placed over the spot, and it’s actually very sturdy. I’m pretty hefty, over 250 pounds and it held my weight easily. I just took it slow and listened for cracks or creaking. I wouldn’t go running over it though. There’s a few spots that have gotten very overgrown, and I got snagged by thorns a few times. I did meet a friendly herd of curious cows, who joined me for part of my walk and mooed their encouragement from their side of the fence. I also met a LOT of bugs, I’m glad I brought my spray with me, cause I had to reapply twice to keep my face from being constantly attacked. But despite the bugs I really enjoyed this hike!

Thu Apr 11 2019

Peaceful...!!!

Tue Jun 05 2018

Great trail. A few muddy pieces but easy enough to get around. Bring bug spray TONS of mosquitoes during the warm months.

Sun Feb 11 2018

A bit slippery in the ice, but pretty views of the pond and mountain in the winter with no leaves. Easy walk.

Tue Jan 16 2018

nice trail to walk in the snow

Tue Oct 17 2017

Mon Oct 16 2017

Beautiful wetlands and birds.

Mon Apr 24 2017

Muddy and unkempt... but that just makes it all the more atmospheric on foggy rainy days in late winter!

Sat Jun 04 2016

The yellow trail is a 2.5 mile loop. It is okay for the first and last mile but the south east section turns narrow and overgrown with some muddy parts, especially along the farm's barbed wire fence where the cows were congregated. I won't do it again.

Fri Jul 17 2015

i been walking this trail since i moved to ny in 1971 i love this trail

Tue Sep 04 2012

Thompson Pond is a wildlife sanctuary maintained by The Nature Conservancy. People are encouraged to visit the area but DOGS are NOT welcome! It is an easy 2.7 miles that can be hiked in less than 2 hours. The trail is somewhat narrow on the east side but passable nevertheless. The pond is home to large numbers of waterfowl.

recorded Recording - May 24, 11:41 AM