Learn more

Thompson Park Trails is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Watertown, New York that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 2.9 mi Elevation gain 131 ft Route type Loop
Dogs on leash Kid friendly Cross country skiing Hiking Mountain biking Walking Forest Over grown Snow
Waypoints (0)
Photos (56)
Recordings (63)
Completed (111)
David Chirnitch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 19, 2020
View David's Recording
Yanelly Sanchez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 15, 2020
Hiking

the trail is close half way I have to jump some trees so I can get back to trail

View Yanelly's Recording
Christian Villalobos
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 1, 2020
Mountain biking

Trails not kept up at all, lot of tress down blocking most the trails. Was okay for the bits open but usually lead in a dead end on my bike

View Christian's Recording
Colin Wheeler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 3, 2020
Hiking

Be aware. If you follow the track I took it will force you onto the golf course. The other way may be better but no promises. Over grown in some spots. 5/10

View Colin's Recording
Cindy M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 9, 2020
HikingBugsOff trailOver grown

I started at the olmstead trailhead and just followed my instincts with the AllTrails app open. Much of the marked trail is overgrown or blocked by fallen trees. The golf course appeared beside me several times so I never felt lost. You can also hear the construction on the pool throughout the wooded area, which sucks, but will lead you back out of the woods if needed. It’s clear that the park’s trails change overtime and you really just need to find your own path, so anyone who walks here, please “record” so we have a better idea of where the trails are presently.

View Cindy's Recording
h s
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 24, 2020

Love this place. It's an easy stroll, but it offers different views around the park. Very picturesque.

Todd Phelps
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 21, 2020
Hiking

The trail map is no longer accurate as some land owners have denied access. There are many trails within the park that are great and there are maps of the open trails. But this is not one of them.

Tori Massey-Ignatowski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 12, 2020
HikingBlowdownOver grownPrivate propertyRocky

Honestly got lost a few times, but I have my map. Had to duck under a few fallen trees. Saw some deer. Lots of other mini trails along the way. Will come back and explore more.

View Tori's Recording
Deanna Saliba
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 6, 2019
Hiking

The paths are nice and the location is beautiful but the actual trail isn't marked at all so I have no idea how to follow it.

View Deanna's Recording
Brooke Dylewski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 22, 2019
RunningBugsRocky

Amazing wooded trails that intertwine just past the Area 51 sign, well kept, no trash. Spray yourself down with lots of bug spray. Watch for rocks and stumps. Some parts get pretty narrow. Lots of shade. Only saw one other person out there.

View Brooke's Recording
Lauren Teller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 20, 2019
HikingClosedOff trailOver grownPrivate property

I did this hike yesterday starting clockwise from the parking lot because I couldn't find the trail going counterclockwise. I definitely needed to have my phone out the whole time. There are no trail markers anywhere with a variety of trail spurs. Going clockwise, when you get to the first straight/ downward diagonal stretch at the bottom of the map, it is a big field of knee high prickers and weeds. I could distinguish, with some difficulty,where people had walked before but it wasn't super easy in all of the grass. Once I exited that area I came to a larger cleared lot with a house under construction. At this point I completely lost the trail. I circled back, found a spur trail into the golf course which wasn't it, back tracked again and wasn't ever able to find the trail. I was on top of the red trail marking the whole time, holding my phone in my hand. Where it wanted me to go was down a steep drop off through tightly knit pricker bushes. I tried to walk down the open field to catch up with the trail again, to no avail. I ended up turning around. Parts of the trail are quite scenic and very well distinguished which is why I gave it a 2 star review. I've never had an issue with navigating trails but this one annoyed me... Also, it is pretty overgrown with a narrow trail. I foolishly wore shorts and got multiple scraps and cuts.

Deb Cannan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 14, 2019
Michael Barajas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 16, 2019
HikingBlowdownOff trailOver grown

It a nice trail but half way there trees blocking the path had to go around to finish the trail.

View Michael's Recording
Bill Friedline
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 12, 2019
Hiking

Decent trail for about 70% of the trail. The trail is not marked. If I was not holding my phone on the AllTrails route I would have gotten lost. Multiple cleared areas makes it difficult to find the trail. Not enough foot traffic to know where the trail is on the western side of the zoo and golf course.

Paul Reape
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 27, 2018
Hiking

nice little hike in the city of Watertown.

Bryan Palmer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 21, 2018
Cross Country Skiing

Great place in the winter time to xcross or snow shoe. Moderate elevation with a few easy passes. Dry Hill downhill skiing and snow tubing is close by as well.

Victoria G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 20, 2018
Walking

Took my dog here to get her out of the car during our long drive. It was a good park but never found a hike! Large green area to run, tennis courts, kids playgrounds, lots of other dogs, parking lot good pit stop place

Mark Peabody
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 27, 2018
Walking

nice place for a good family walk with pets. a little bit of city view when you get to the top area.

Michael Kahle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 29, 2017
Walking

We started at the north entrance close to the zoo parking lot. The trail starts out nice, moderate terrain through the woods. Some nice scenery and easily walked however, as the trail progressed, it became more and more overgrown. We had a jogger stroller and began to experience a harder and harder time the farther we went. As we got near the end, the trail became extremely narrow and overgrown and we encountered an impassible pile of debris, almost like a stick fence that kept us from going further. Unfortunately we had to turn back the way we came. Not fun!