The Labyrinth Trail

The Labyrinth Trail is a 1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near High Falls, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November.

Distance: 1.0 miles Elevation Gain: 291 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

cave

fee

Hiking Pass Fee (does not include lake access or access to the inside of the house): $21 Monday-Friday $26 weekends/holidays

Entry was $28 PER PERSON to park in the Mohonk preserve. We chose to park on the side of the road, down the hill.

Definitely worth going!!

The Labyrinth and Lemon squeeze is great but very challenging. You get rewarded with a beautiful view at the top. I recommend not to go alone but in group or at least 2. Bring the care kit in case you get hurt.

Definitely harder than I expected but I’m not in top physical condition. Lots of tricky places to find footholds. Some beautiful views once you figure out how to navigate your body of of the lemon squeeze! I’m glad I did it, but I doubt I’ll ever do it again!

So fun for me and my brother Climbing in the caves were so fun

The hardest hike I’ve been on to date but also the most fun! Took us about 3-3.5 hours with a few stops to rest. Challenging rock scramble with a particularly challenging finish at the lemon squeeze! Beautiful and well maintained, ladders to help where conditions are tricky.

Awesome trail. I went on a weekday and parked outside the mountain house area so I had a longer hike in and out but it was only $15 instead of $22. I’d do this again in a second. The labyrinth and lemon squeeze were awesome. I went early morning and on a weekday to avoid crowds and it worked perfectly.

I try out new hiking spots every weekend and have found some amazing trails but this one is like no other! Before I begin I just want to mention that this 1 mile hike is actually 5.5 miles. This was by far the coolest/scariest/difficult hike so far and while I’m extremely sore right now I am also so glad I did this! This is not an easy hike and it takes strength but it is so worth it. The top of the lemon squeeze is the hardest and I can honestly say I was not prepared for it!! It is definitely an adventure

5 mile round trip. $22 midweek Took us 3 hours RT with lots of breaks and to the top of Tower, etc. Finally, a tower I could climb!! A little under 2 miles on wide crushed stone path through woods from very large parking area (with nice BR and $1.50 vending machines) to Mohonk House(2nd BR in Art House) where the Labyrinth and Lemon Squeeze (Crevice) begins. Yes, you can bail from rock scramble at a few spots and hike back along lake to Skytop walking path(that is what makes this an EASY hike). I am afraid of heights and tight spaces with large drops. This was not EASY and a bit of challenge for me. Went two days after rain and the Crevice was still dripping and wet so my boots were slippery up final 5 ladders. First set of ladders in Crevice are 30 steps. 2nd set of ladders are narrower and a bit crooked with a last squeeze that requires creative foot and hand grips to push out to rock ledge and first amazing vista. And yes, you can bail on the crevice. Take a set of wooden stairs to Skytop Tower. Maybe 15-20 ladder sets in all with some wooden foot ledges and bridges too. Rock scramble along the side of the mountain was fun and the views and boulders were amazing. Very well marked with red arrows. Some newly painted this week(July 2019). The climb between and under boulders with drop offs into a dark crevices at beginning of hike freaked me out. Other people in my group loved it! To skip this part, you can maybe walk farther down the path along the lake to find a 2nd or 3rd entrance to Labyrinth.

Fun but a bit challenging, especially after hiking all the way in from the West Trapps parking at Mohonk Preserve, as we did. Lots of tricky ladders and picking your way among the rocks, then one really narrow squeeze at the end. Took me a while to figure out how to get out. Several moments where I needed to throw my bag up or carry it on my chest. Final push up to Skytop Tower was a relief. Amazing views of Millbrook Mountain and Gertrude’s Nose when you emerge from the squeeze. Nice views down to Mohonk Lake and the Mountain House as well.

The most amazing place to get outside with nature and friends.

I wouldn’t exactly call this rock scramble easy! Basically climbing and jumping over boulders. Did the Lemon squeeze up. Took the easy Nicely gravel path down—that is very easy!

fantastic hike. sometimes a little crowded at the ladder, but once you are to the top, there are some great views.

Amazing workout.

One of my favorite hikes I’ve ever done. You park in the visitors lot and pay $21 a person ($26 on weekends) and then it’s a 1.5 mile walk to the start of the Labyrinth. The 1.5 mile walk isn’t bad though! It’s your average stroll through the woods, with a few nice lookouts to keep you from getting bored. Once you get to the hotel there are some more beautiful views and places to rest. Head to the left of the lake on Lake Shore walking along the water. Before you know it you will see a sign on your left for the labyrinth. The first quarter mile or so offers you a taste of the labyrinth with plenty of places to bail if you realize it’s not for you. DO NOT go in the rain or just after a rainfall, and don’t bring children unless they are fairly tall and athletic (some tough reaches). The lemon squeeze itself is tight but doable, I’m not someone you would consider skinny and I was fine, but it was tight. Some upper body strength required, but I think any somewhat in shape person who isn’t particularly claustrophobic could do it. Well worth the money.

Really enjoyed this hike many times!

beautiful place for just a short walk.

private property