The Labyrinth Trail

The Labyrinth Trail is a 1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near High Falls, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November.

cave

Entrance fee of $26 per person

I’m sure the trails are great, but they stop selling hiking passes at 4:30 p.m.. Very disappointing after a 3.5 hour drive.

Less hiking more rock scramble at parts but so fun!

Great hike

Very fun trail up Skytop Mountain. It begins by snaking between boulders and in and out of caves. Near the end, it goes through a rock formation known as "the crevice." This includes ascending a vertical ladder and squeezing through a crack in the rocks. At the top is a tower, with great, 360 degree views of the surrounding countryside, including the Walkill River Valley and the Catskills. I would not recommend this trail for those with a fear of heights, and I would definitely not recommend it to those with claustrophobia.

Fun trail full of great views and manoeuvring under and over boulders. One of the best parts is the lemon squeeze just before the summit where you hoist yourself up through a narrow opening between two boulder slabs. You get a lot out of the trail considering how short it is in distance, but the entrance fee is definitely overpriced at $26/person.

Wasn't going to pay the rediculous parking fee at Mohonk, so my son and I parked at the Trapps lot and took Undercarriage all the way out. Did the Labyrinth and then the Lemon Squeeze. 8 mile round trip.

I was leery about doing this trail. But I tried it and thoroughly enjoyed climbed over, under, and through rocks, over wooden bridges and climbing wooden ladders , the last one in a crevice before reaching the top by Sky Top tower. In the end I thought, "that wasn't so bad."

Too short!! this was an amazing trail, it is true if you are afraid of heights better not to do it, but it is totally rewarding. The view is spectacular and the way back to the parking lot easy and relaxing. Take water, you'll drink it. A small backpack to be agile is better. Children did this, so don't be (too much) scared.

The labyrinth trail is a must! Just make sure your hands are free at all times. I had my tripod with me and had to get back to put it away when I realized the narrow path created by the rocks. Keep a light backpack also. When ascending the crevice I got stuck and had to take it away (in risky circumstances) to push it forward so that I could continue climbing. And do the Crevice! Totally worth it!

From the Mohonk Visitor Center along the lower trail and back along the upper Trail, there were some other hikers at peak color season, but it was not overrun.
The Labyrinth Trail itself was another matter. Certainly a blast to scramble over everything. The downer on a Saturday in October is that is was so busy and there were so many families with children as young as 5, that there were often very long waits as People coaxed and cajoled their children through tight spaces and scary spots.

So fun... amazing views... really cool scrambling trail... super tight in spots ... a mental challenge as much as it was a physical one... highly recommended for avid hikers in the area... something a bit different to spice it up

REALLY COOL. Very different than your typical loop or out and back in the Hudson area. Very touristy though so start super early. Loved this one. It's a a lot of work though so be warned it will take some effort to get to the top. Nice view though.

Scrambling

Absolutely loved this trail!!! Can’t wait to go back again

A great challenge.

A must to do

awesome trail! lots of fun & very challenging! if you’re claustrophobic or afraid of heights it might not be for you, but there’s lots of exit paths throughout so you can always bail if you get too nervous. the payoff at the top is absolutely worth it though!

Not for the weary at heart and those scared of heights like myself. Thankfully, I was able to conquer my fears which brought great reward.

Entered by the mountain house (near where people rock climb) and combined it with the giants workshop for a like 8ish mile trail with a smaller entrance fee. The labyrinth is incredibly unique and should be on everyone's bucket list. Unquestionably my favorite hike in the area

Awesome scramble! One of the most fun trails I've ever done. However, I thought that 45 minute sign at the beginning was to scare the "out of shape" folk away. It wasn't, it took all of 45 minutes. Many tight spots and over and unders. If you're afraid of heights or claustrophobic DO NOT ATTEMPT. Views can be beat once you reach the top.

I absolutely loved this hike. Rock scrambling at its finest. Trail is marked perfectly. Great work out!!

We had an absolute blast on this trail. Def worth the money and drive to get out there. Love the views and rocks and the rock climbs. Check it out. You won't be disappointed.

Love this trail, used this course cross training 35 years ago doing three ascents descending each time on the shorter route with switchbacks.

Great trail if you're looking for something a little more intense. Climbing through the rocks makes the view so much more worth it! The trail was marked pretty well so it was easy enough to follow along and if you wanted a break you could sit down in a few areas on the rocks.

Unique rock scramble in a stunning place. It's busy during the summer. If you have a Monhonk Preserve pass entry is cheaper at the gate house. Bring shoes with good traction.

An amazing trail! Definitely technical in nature, but worth it. A ton of scrambling for about 45 mins until you reach the summit. We climbed up with a 6 yr old and 8 yr old and there were some serious crevices that made my heart skip a beat, as I was with two youngsters, but we made it up safety and enjoyed the vista.Also, be sure that if you're going as a family of 4 , that they charge you $70 for the day and not the $26 per person they ask for when at the gate. These are the rates for weekends. Check their website for more info.

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Started at Duck Pond trail, then made it to the Labyrinth! This trail was longer, quite challenging, and well worth the time and exertion! One of the coolest hikes around!

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Unfortunately the labyrinth trail was closed when we went. I was a little annoyed paying $55.00 dollars and it wasn't even open. We hiked a few trails around the area and the trail were pretty good but nothing to strenuous. The labyrinth trail looks like it would be extremely fun from what I saw and I'm rating 5 stars for that alone. I definitely will be back to do the whole thing.

Friday, April 07, 2017

I hiked this trail with my friend about a year and a half ago! We had a blast. Take heed you must be in some sort of shape to finish this hike it's not for the weak. At one part you have have to crawl under boulders and upper body strength is needed unless you have a friend like mine who can assist by pulling you up out of the cave. It was definitely a lot of fun and challenging as well in parts but the view once you get to the top is totally worth it. We recorded most of it on my go pro without a mount which the video is quite hysterical.