The Labyrinth Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(292)
Mohonk Preserve

The Labyrinth Trail is a 1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near High Falls, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November.

Distance: 1.0 miles Elevation Gain: 291 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

cave

closed

fee

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options. Hiking Pass Fee (does not include lake access or access to the inside of the house): $21 Monday-Friday $26 weekends/holidays

This is a lot of fun! One of the highlights of my summer was getting to try this out after a long day of hiking at Mohonk. It’s worth the extra fee.

Great mix of the best Mohonk Trails.

Great trail, we went on a beautiful day and it wasn’t too crowded. I have gone on a weekend before and it was super crowded so I would recommend not doing this trail on weekends. I noticed a lot of people missed the crevice however. There is a section of the trail that will take up up a set of stairs to the sky tower but if you want to do the crevice don’t go up the stairs continue on the trail

Awesome hike, but not really kid friendly. Recommended for in shape hikers.

This was a very challenging hike. A good pair of hiking boots is a must as the rocks can be slippery and steady footing is necessary to maneuver safely. We started at the the very first entrance to the trail. Note that to get to the trail head, you have to walk about 1.5 miles on an easy path from the parking lot. There is very little elevation in the beginning giving you a few opportunities to bail out if you decide this isn’t the right hike for you. It took us 3.5 hours to complete and we went all the way to the “crevice” and just took a few breaks to take a drink. Make sure to leave enough time so not to run out of day light. The Crevice is not for people who are claustrophobic, as the ladders are narrow and you have to squeeze through an opening that you have to go through sideways. A headlamp is helpful because the Crevice is pretty dark even in the day light. There were plenty of red arrows guiding you in the right direction. However, once you come out of the Crevice make sure to go to your right and look for the red arrow leading you up towards the top of the vista. The rocks require you to do a lot of climbing and having upper body strength is a plus. It would have been helpful if there were markers telling us how much farther to the Sky Tower, especially since we ran out of day light and emerged from the Crevice in the dark. Overall, a technically challenging hike but the views from the vista are your reward at the end. Glad we did it but probably wouldn’t do it again.

Entry was $28 PER PERSON to park in the Mohonk preserve. We chose to park on the side of the road, down the hill.

Definitely worth going!!

The Labyrinth and Lemon squeeze is great but very challenging. You get rewarded with a beautiful view at the top. I recommend not to go alone but in group or at least 2. Bring the care kit in case you get hurt.

Definitely harder than I expected but I’m not in top physical condition. Lots of tricky places to find footholds. Some beautiful views once you figure out how to navigate your body of of the lemon squeeze! I’m glad I did it, but I doubt I’ll ever do it again!

So fun for me and my brother Climbing in the caves were so fun

The hardest hike I’ve been on to date but also the most fun! Took us about 3-3.5 hours with a few stops to rest. Challenging rock scramble with a particularly challenging finish at the lemon squeeze! Beautiful and well maintained, ladders to help where conditions are tricky.

Awesome trail. I went on a weekday and parked outside the mountain house area so I had a longer hike in and out but it was only $15 instead of $22. I’d do this again in a second. The labyrinth and lemon squeeze were awesome. I went early morning and on a weekday to avoid crowds and it worked perfectly.

I try out new hiking spots every weekend and have found some amazing trails but this one is like no other! Before I begin I just want to mention that this 1 mile hike is actually 5.5 miles. This was by far the coolest/scariest/difficult hike so far and while I’m extremely sore right now I am also so glad I did this! This is not an easy hike and it takes strength but it is so worth it. The top of the lemon squeeze is the hardest and I can honestly say I was not prepared for it!! It is definitely an adventure

5 mile round trip. $22 midweek Took us 3 hours RT with lots of breaks and to the top of Tower, etc. Finally, a tower I could climb!! A little under 2 miles on wide crushed stone path through woods from very large parking area (with nice BR and $1.50 vending machines) to Mohonk House(2nd BR in Art House) where the Labyrinth and Lemon Squeeze (Crevice) begins. Yes, you can bail from rock scramble at a few spots and hike back along lake to Skytop walking path(that is what makes this an EASY hike). I am afraid of heights and tight spaces with large drops. This was not EASY and a bit of challenge for me. Went two days after rain and the Crevice was still dripping and wet so my boots were slippery up final 5 ladders. First set of ladders in Crevice are 30 steps. 2nd set of ladders are narrower and a bit crooked with a last squeeze that requires creative foot and hand grips to push out to rock ledge and first amazing vista. And yes, you can bail on the crevice. Take a set of wooden stairs to Skytop Tower. Maybe 15-20 ladder sets in all with some wooden foot ledges and bridges too. Rock scramble along the side of the mountain was fun and the views and boulders were amazing. Very well marked with red arrows. Some newly painted this week(July 2019). The climb between and under boulders with drop offs into a dark crevices at beginning of hike freaked me out. Other people in my group loved it! To skip this part, you can maybe walk farther down the path along the lake to find a 2nd or 3rd entrance to Labyrinth.

Fun but a bit challenging, especially after hiking all the way in from the West Trapps parking at Mohonk Preserve, as we did. Lots of tricky ladders and picking your way among the rocks, then one really narrow squeeze at the end. Took me a while to figure out how to get out. Several moments where I needed to throw my bag up or carry it on my chest. Final push up to Skytop Tower was a relief. Amazing views of Millbrook Mountain and Gertrude’s Nose when you emerge from the squeeze. Nice views down to Mohonk Lake and the Mountain House as well.

The most amazing place to get outside with nature and friends.

I wouldn’t exactly call this rock scramble easy! Basically climbing and jumping over boulders. Did the Lemon squeeze up. Took the easy Nicely gravel path down—that is very easy!