The Dix Range to Macomb and Dix Mountain

The Dix Range to Macomb and Dix Mountain is a 15.7 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Keene Valley, New York that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 15.7 miles Elevation Gain: 5,475 feet Route Type: Point to Point

In this one hike you will climb to the top of five 4,000 foot Adirondack Forty-Sixers. This trail includes Dix, South Dix, Grace Peak, Macomb and Hough.

If you are planning on making this a multi day hike, do not approach from the 73 - unless you want to summit with full packs. South Fork river is a great trail (though unmarked) however there is limited designated camping on the east side of the range, and no way to retrieve stowed gear without doubling back. Ideally, parking at Elk Lake gives access to designated campsites and leantos at the base of Lillian Brook trail, and better access to summit trails. Contact Elk Lake Lodge for matters of parking, and consult the official High Peaks map for seasonal closures of the Elk Lake area (private property, hunting etc) Also, consult the actual map for trail classifications (dots vs. dashes). Grace, South Dix, Macomb are considered "lesser 46ers" so the trails are herd paths (unmarked, unmaintained etc). We had planned to do all 5, but weather and gear issues sent us out after only two. Our only option (from Lillian Brook camp zone) was to skip Dix summit, and take Hunters Pass up and over, to the North Fork trail back to the 73. Hunters Pass was rather treacherous, though doable. Again, consult actual trail map (old fashioned, fold out) as well as local resources (staff at Mountaineer, ADK Lodges etc) before tackling this range. All that to say, it was a great trek, at the mercy of nature (as it should be). :) We will be returning to bag the 3 summits that eluded us.

A bit longer and tougher than “for advanced hikers”. Should be split up into two days unless you can somehow pack very lightly and are very fit. Took me and my buddy 13 hours, lost the trail a few times. I would hike in from the exit and grab one of the camp sites at round pond, then walk down 73 to the suggested start point, that way you’re finishing at your site, not having to walk that 2 miles down the road after a very long hike Epic, though. def more creative summits out there, but it’s an amazing string of peaks with 360 views

I’d recommend this during mid summer, before the leaves start falling, and the herd path is more visible. A 6 mile or so hike to the bottom of grace to set up camp, is the only way to not end up on icy peaks at dark when the days are shorter. Fill up water before you start the climb, and pack up camp early to get walking by dawn. Have water proof boots, gloves, a wind proof shell and layers to shed to avoid sweating too much. Stash your heavy items at s. Dix to get Malcolm a little lighter footed. Marked mileage is as the crow flies, don’t underestimate the increased distance with grade. We clocked 22 miles coming out at round lake after midnight. Challenging hike, keep up on weather beforehand and have a emergency plan. A twisted ankle between peaks could make for dangerous situation.

Great views from 4/5 mountains. Once you gain the ridge is moderate. Trails are not marked. Pay close attention when heading over to Dix, the trail is at the top of Hough to the left. It doesn’t look like a trail initially. Not too muddy. Would suggest going up Macomb first to gain the elevation.

Hiked this loop from the grace mountain trailhead finishing at round pond trailhead on 73 October 13th. Started at 6:00 am. Trail conditions were wet and cold, snowing at times and very muddy; perfect weather for a long ass day hike! This trail is longer than 15.7 mi. The trail up the east dix slide seemingly disappears and I had to bushwhack the last two hundred vertical feet to the summit after climbing straight up the slide, which was pretty sketchy, due to the very wet and cold conditions. Once on top of east dix the herd path became easy to follow. My garmin recorded this hike as being closer to 22 miles. Took me and my girlfriend 14.5 hours moving at a fast pace and bagging all five peaks. I probably could have done it in 12 hours if I had found the trail at the top of the slide, and was by myself. We ended up hitchhiking back to the car in the dark. This is a challenging but doable day hike that I would only recommend to more advanced hikers. Be prepared for some dense, uphill bushwhacking at the top of East dix slide and bring an extra pair or two of dry socks as there are many stream and river crossings not to mention the mud pits, I'm super glad I did! Spectacular views the whole way!!!!

Did it yeaterday (october 13th)! I had the first snow of the year up there! It was super muddy and wet. But not so many hikers, especially on Dix Mountain. I was alone! I started at 7h40 at the North Noonmark Trail head, and ended with this “sketchy in fall season trail”, because leaves eere hiding the trail, called Bosquet Forks Trail, Nut I really ejoyed it! I did aproximatly 30km (according to Stepz app), but I think in general it is less than that! Although it was a bit technical with all that mud!

Friday, August 17, 2018

We did the whole range except for Macomb. Took about 12 hours. Took a few breaks mostly on the summits. Best views were on Grace and Dix but there are many good views along the range around the summits. Quite steep going down Dix. I recommend bringing two cars and parking one at Round Pond and one at the Trailhead for Grace (formerly East Dix).

Saturday, July 21, 2018

We Hiked up the Macomb Slide and went on to do South Dix (a scramble) & then Hough. Really awesome 3 peak day hike. I loved the variety of this trail! Great views pretty much the entire time! They call it "un-maintained..." But, if that was true, then who's been out there cutting through the blowdown? Someone certainly has. Definitely a blast & would climb them again!

Monday, July 02, 2018

I did 4 of the 5 peaks this past weekend (June 29-July 1). I wanted to do all five but did not manage (first backpacking trip and I was carrying too much weight) anyways... We started at the Elk Lake Trailhead, hiked in Friday night, camped at the Slide Brooke then proceeded to Macomb the next morning. The slide on Macomb is a bear but doable. It will slow you down. East Dix (Grace Peak) was amazing. The hike to Hough was very difficult. We ran out of water so hiked down the Lillian Brook Trail and camped another night at the Slide Brook Lean To Area before hiking out the next morning. Overall it was a grueling but worth it hike. Every peak had spectacular views. I wish I had gotten to Dix but I will have the conquer that another time. Check me out on Instagram for pictures of the hikes and other adventures @wildrumpfie

Saturday, August 05, 2017

I did Macomb and didn't necessarily finish. U follow the trail to the Dix Range. After about 1.5 miles, you go of right before the Brooke and it was hard to find. The trail that leads off to Macomb was very narrow and skinny but was well-used. Right before u get to the scrabble (the rocks)..I would take a left and take that creek around and that shoots right up to the top! Even though I found this out after I did this hike...I would still do this hike again...wouldn't recommend this hike for beginners but it's a good day hike!

Sunday, July 23, 2017

I did 4 of the 5 peaks on July 20th. I'd done Dix Mountain before so I decided to skip it on this trek. My brother and I started from Elk Lake Trailhead and proceeded towards Macomb. Having gotten a very late start I knew we would have to hightail it to get the 4 peaks in. It was a relatively easy start until we hit the slide on Macomb. Loose soil and small rocks made for some very unsure footing. Once we reached the peak we ate some lunch @ noon and then moved onto South Dix. I saw no marker on S. Dix but my altimeter confirmed the height. From there it was onto East Dix (Grace Peak). The climb wasn't too bad and the view was gorgeous. Trekking back I failed to look at my GPS and actually was a third of the way down South Dix before I realized I had missed the cairn. I went back up and got on the trail to Hough. Hough was a tougher climb than either S. Dix or E. Dix. There was a pretty straight shoot up a out 700-800 feet to get to the top. The top was designated by a little yellow disk nailed to a pine tree. The trip back was long and a bit scary at the slide on Macomb. The mud from the over abundance of rain beginning to get harder after a couple of days of sunshine. All in all a very rewarding hike moving my number to 36 of 46 completed. Thank to the unnamed gentleman who gave us a ride to the trailhead and Chris 'Rainbow Dash' for the ride out. You saved us two hours of uneventful hiking.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

getting to the base of E.Dix/ Grace is actually quite easy just follow the cairns like said. A little confusing after the last campsite make sure to stay to your left, Not a Bad Day hike definitely have to be prepared for it, it's a long walk out it's a little monotonous could have done it quicker but weather played a part as we had to torrential downpours and lack of footing. round trip 14 hours door-to-door with stops

Saturday, September 01, 2018