The Dix Range to Macomb and Dix Mountain

The Dix Range to Macomb and Dix Mountain is a 15.7 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Keene Valley, New York that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

In this one hike you will climb to the top of four 4,000 foot ADK 46er Peaks on an unmaintained trail.

We did the whole range except for Macomb. Took about 12 hours. Took a few breaks mostly on the summits. Best views were on Grace and Dix but there are many good views along the range around the summits. Quite steep going down Dix. I recommend bringing two cars and parking one at Round Pond and one at the Trailhead for Grace (formerly East Dix).

We Hiked up the Macomb Slide and went on to do South Dix (a scramble) & then Hough. Really awesome 3 peak day hike. I loved the variety of this trail! Great views pretty much the entire time! They call it "un-maintained..." But, if that was true, then who's been out there cutting through the blowdown? Someone certainly has. Definitely a blast & would climb them again!

I did 4 of the 5 peaks this past weekend (June 29-July 1). I wanted to do all five but did not manage (first backpacking trip and I was carrying too much weight) anyways... We started at the Elk Lake Trailhead, hiked in Friday night, camped at the Slide Brooke then proceeded to Macomb the next morning. The slide on Macomb is a bear but doable. It will slow you down. East Dix (Grace Peak) was amazing. The hike to Hough was very difficult. We ran out of water so hiked down the Lillian Brook Trail and camped another night at the Slide Brook Lean To Area before hiking out the next morning. Overall it was a grueling but worth it hike. Every peak had spectacular views. I wish I had gotten to Dix but I will have the conquer that another time.

Check me out on Instagram for pictures of the hikes and other adventures @wildrumpfie

Saturday, August 05, 2017

I did Macomb and didn't necessarily finish. U follow the trail to the Dix Range. After about 1.5 miles, you go of right before the Brooke and it was hard to find. The trail that leads off to Macomb was very narrow and skinny but was well-used. Right before u get to the scrabble (the rocks)..I would take a left and take that creek around and that shoots right up to the top! Even though I found this out after I did this hike...I would still do this hike again...wouldn't recommend this hike for beginners but it's a good day hike!

Sunday, July 23, 2017

I did 4 of the 5 peaks on July 20th. I'd done Dix Mountain before so I decided to skip it on this trek.
My brother and I started from Elk Lake Trailhead and proceeded towards Macomb.
Having gotten a very late start I knew we would have to hightail it to get the 4 peaks in.
It was a relatively easy start until we hit the slide on Macomb.
Loose soil and small rocks made for some very unsure footing.
Once we reached the peak we ate some lunch @ noon and then moved onto South Dix.
I saw no marker on S. Dix but my altimeter confirmed the height.
From there it was onto East Dix (Grace Peak). The climb wasn't too bad and the view was gorgeous.
Trekking back I failed to look at my GPS and actually was a third of the way down South Dix before I realized I had missed the cairn.
I went back up and got on the trail to Hough.
Hough was a tougher climb than either S. Dix or E. Dix. There was a pretty straight shoot up a out 700-800 feet to get to the top.
The top was designated by a little yellow disk nailed to a pine tree.
The trip back was long and a bit scary at the slide on Macomb.
The mud from the over abundance of rain beginning to get harder after a couple of days of sunshine.
All in all a very rewarding hike moving my number to 36 of 46 completed.
Thank to the unnamed gentleman who gave us a ride to the trailhead and Chris 'Rainbow Dash' for the ride out. You saved us two hours of uneventful hiking.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

getting to the base of E.Dix/ Grace is actually quite easy just follow the cairns like said. A little confusing after the last campsite make sure to stay to your left, Not a Bad Day hike definitely have to be prepared for it, it's a long walk out it's a little monotonous could have done it quicker but weather played a part as we had to torrential downpours and lack of footing. round trip 14 hours door-to-door with stops

Monday, September 18, 2017