Indian Ladder Trail (CLOSED)

Indian Ladder Trail (CLOSED) is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Voorheesville, New York that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

closed

such a unique place, it's small but magical.

When I lived in Albany this was a go to trail for anyone visiting me from out of town. Enjoyed this trail dozens of times, particularly enjoyed the winter when the waterfall would freeze.

Visited in fall 2015. Was a perfect hike for my Mom who needs something a little easier and loves to learn about history. Hopefully they can find a way to reopen it.

Trail is still closed as of October 2017

Best trail

Beautiful views I like to do this trail on a rainy day
Sadly, the trail is closed right now

Just a wonderful walk. Shame someone got hurt and they had to close it. I saw some robins and cardinals.

The Indian Ladder Trail is closed indefinitely due to an injury caused by falling rock from the cliff wall. Park Staff said safety of the trail needs to be assessed. https://dailygazette.com/article/2017/07/07/thacher-park-s-indian-ladder-trail-remains-closed

Trail is closed indefinitely

Great trail for our 5 years old. Very nice park.

Great we escarpment trail. Muddy and tons of bugs on hog and paint trails. Hog and paint trail poorly marked and long (3 ft) grass in parts - got lost for miles when came out to road. Side roads (pinnacle Rd) not on trail map and visitor center could not find road when called.

great views

Beautiful waterfalls. Easy so you can take non-hiker friends.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Amazing views. Great waterfalls. Even the parking areas are filled with beautiful pick nic tables and grills. Down side- looks like they're charging for parking now.

Friday, May 12, 2017

This trail is my go-to if I want to enjoy a relatively quick, easy hike with a beautiful scene. It never takes me more than an hour to complete and is not hard to hike; the worst part is the slipperiness, which isn't even that bad. It gives you scenes such as beautiful cliffs to look off of and at, a lovely stone staircase, and two waterfalls. The only warning I have is that at some points it is narrow, so be mindful of those around you. A variety of parking lots gives you different points to start at so you have a bit of control of how long you walk. Overall, the greatness of this trail is the reason why I go to it again and again.

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Nice view along the entire trail. You start from lookout point and follow the escarpment passing various campgrounds on the left. It's fairly straight and simple until the way back where you can follow the trail below and under a few waterfalls. It's a nice change of pace but can be a bit slippery. It's closed off during the winter. Overall simple but enjoyable hike.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Beautiful view today. Plenty of folks enjoying the rim trail. The kids were a little disappointed we couldn't walk under the waterfall today, but we got over it pretty quickly.

The brand new visitor's Center is going to open up next month. Looks beautiful on the outside.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

The ladder was closed for the season (late April) so it is just flat walk next to the fence at the top of the escarpment. There is decent bathroom at the far end.

Friday, April 21, 2017

I always love taking day trips to thacher state park, and during the warmer months going down the ILT a few times for the waterfall. Its got beautiful and a peaceful quality to it.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

It was absolutely beautiful!!

Monday, October 03, 2016

we did both the long trail and ladder trail, we loved them both great views heavily trafficd but worth it very narrow path ways at points so not for the faint of heart but absolutely beautiful.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Nice easy stroll for the weekend!

Sunday, September 04, 2016

This is our scenic "go to" trail when we need a good mental detox from a long week.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Always an adventure. Some long stairways are far better than the Indian Ladders of long ago. Lots of fossils to be found in the shale along the cliffs.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

it was a fun day out with my 3 year old. a little disappointed how dry it was. no waterfall, or water anywhere actually, it hasn't rained that much this summer. we're going to go back around October:) I'd recommend it!

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

I have to say it is gorgeous. But as a beginner hiker, not as easy as labeled. The stairs leading to the trail are intimidating and rough on the knees.
I will say young children were on this trail, and they did better than myself. Actually my peekapoo did better than I did.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

easy and fun trail to walk through. it does get a bit tight at times but not too bad

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

I did this trail for the first time with my daughter this morning and was not disappointed! We saw American Black Vultures, Red-spotted Newts(orange salamanders), a millipede, and a Hickory Tussock Moth Caterpillar. Both falls along the trail were awesome sights. Can't wait to do it again!

Friday, June 17, 2016

Beautiful!! Tight pathways, dog friendly!

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Great views! The trail was a lot of fun to walk through as well.