Learn more

Teal Trail Loop is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Holmes, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 4.9 mi Elevation gain 757 ft Route type Loop

Wildlife

Description
Waypoints (0)
Getting There

Park in parking area on Ludingtonville Road. There is a kiosk there with trail maps. Take the blue trail up to and around the lake or explore the many side trails. Hikers have reported that the Yellow Trail off of this route is currently closed.

Ludingtonville road off of interstate 84 exit 17, Carmel, NY

Photos (175)
Recordings (159)
Completed (211)
Maddie O
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020

Please respect the neighbors of Wonder Lake by keeping your dogs leashed and staying on trails and not coming onto private property.

Dan Behr
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 18, 2020
Hiking

took my wife and I just under 3 despite taking a wrong turn and ending up on mooney rd. great hike, probably hard to run but doable. biking would be tough on the teal trail.

View Dan's Recording
Robert Polastre
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 8, 2020
HikingBlowdownOver grown
View Robert's Recording
Samantha Frickle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 7, 2020
HikingClosedOver grownRocky

First time hiking it. Pretty decent trail but I didn’t find any “WOW” views. All considering I enjoyed my hike. Some areas on the north side of Wonder Lake were a bit brush. I had seen some reviews about ticks. However, I’m in the clear! I took precaution by treating my boots with Permethrin before hitting the trail, used bug repellent and kept my clothing wear tucked in. This trail WILL make you sweat (if you’re hiking on a sunny summer day). Initial incline but smooth sailing after the first quarter mile. Terrain is soft with many rocks along the way. A few spots off the trail allow you to take a moment to appreciate where you are at. Trail markers are superb. At the time of writing this white and yellow trails northeastward are closed off. It’s good for being in our backyard - have fun with it!

View Samantha's Recording
Nancy Torres
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 1, 2020
HikingRockyScramble
View Nancy's Recording
Aidan McGuire
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 24, 2020

Too much noise from 84.

Ursula V.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 13, 2020
Hiking

I have to say that was one of the most beautiful trails I’ve walked. Totally recommend!

View Ursula's Recording
Chris B.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 3, 2020
HikingBlowdownMuddyRocky

Very nice hike! Agree with all the other reviews, the varied terrain is fun, something different every half mile. We went counterclockwise, and did the teal blazed trail up to Laurel Pond, back on the White blazed (mostly an old roadbed) and then made a loop around the north part of the yellow trail (this part is open). A day after a significant rainfall, there were a few muddy parts of the teal blazed trail in the first mile but very passable. The north part of the the yellow blazed trail was *very muddy* for about 1/4 mile about 1.5 miles from the trailhead. We made it through, but be advised in case you go after the rain. On a sunny Sunday in the time of COVID-19, there were three cars in the lot around 8:30 am, when we were done by 11:30 am it was almost full (about 20 car capacity). We did pull quite a few ticks off our dog ... but not sure there's any way around that in the area.

christine stuart
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 28, 2020
HikingBugsRocky

Great trail! Varied terrain, some elevation and nice view of the lake. Very few hikers on the trail (we hiked on a beautiful sunny Tuesday). We picked a few ticks off our dogs at the end but not too bad.

Joanne Amomonpon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 25, 2020
HikingBlowdownBugsMuddy
View Joanne's Recording
Michael Sweeney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 22, 2020
HikingMuddy

It is a really nice moderate hike of 5-6 miles. There are just two drawbacks: 1) The area must have been hit with a tornado as there were thousands of trees down. The Trail Association has done an amazing job but there are still a few closed trails. 2) I live in NYC, so I am sensitive to noise. The car hum from I-84 goes away in many spots, but it is there at the beginning, end, and some wind gaps on the trail.

Michael Koh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 19, 2020
View Michael's Recording
Julianna R.
View Julianna's Recording
Julie D
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 8, 2020
Hiking

miles of solace. other reviews here about terrain are accurate. would definitely do this trail again.

Nicole Sedran
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 7, 2020
HikingRocky
View Nicole's Recording
Laura Ratliff
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 14, 2020
Hiking

Fun trail! Dog loved it. Some traffic noise at first, but it quickly tapers off. The little lake is beautiful. We’ll repeat this one for sure, and I’d definitely recommend it if you’re looking for a hike on the easier end with lots of variety.

View Laura's Recording
Nicholas Aiello
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 21, 2019
Hiking

Nice hike... the first mile is the steepest then gets easier. Other then 1 guy ripping thru on a motocross bike, it was peaceful and tranquil.

View Nicholas's Recording
Anya Dicostanzo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 19, 2019
Hiking

Peaceful hike definitely recommend it

Lucia Philka
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 14, 2019
Hiking

I love this trail, very well marked, yellow trail still closed but doesn't matter... very good for my training and my dog.

View Lucia's Recording
Paul Toscano
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 23, 2018

We love this trail. 1/4 mile from my house so we use it often. Trail is well marked and it makes you feel good. Many different routes to take.

Pk Tessler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 25, 2018

I enjoy walking here with or without the dog but there are a lot of downed trees at the moment. the yellow trail is shut down due to fallen trees.