New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

T Lake Falls Trail

T Lake Falls Trail is a 10 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Speculator, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,978 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Parking area at trailhead across from Poplar Point campground.

Trail was fun, pretty aggressive elevation gain in the initial mile. Very buggy, maybe 8-10 blowdowns. Had a ton of fun on my first hike of the summer. We went to the lean-to and back. Spent time afterwards on G Lake. That is a definite must do.

recorded T Lake Falls Trail

Tue Jul 31 2018

My family and I did this hike last week and it was not quite what we were expecting! Be aware that the actual trail to the falls was closed years ago to several deaths at the falls. If you are planning to hike to the bottom of the falls you may want some hiking experience, bushwhacking skills, and access to a GPS or topographical map. The trail to the lake was well marked and fairly easy to traverse. After the lake we had difficulty picking up the trail but were able to do so ( thanks All Trails app!). The trail to the falls was unmarked and difficult to follow, but followed the stream from the lake pretty closely. We arrived at the top of the falls and found it quite startlingly high! It was easy to see why many deadly falls occurred here, the top of the falls is bulbous, in a way that could invite hikers to peer too close. We started to try to make our way to the bottom of the gorge by weaving out around the falls but got nervous and headed back. If you are really set on seeing the full view of the falls then I have heard that there is another unmarked trail that comes in from Mountain Home Road that approaches the falls from the bottom.

Sat Jul 07 2018

Trail was well marked, easy to figure out where we were going. Went first weekend in July and the deer flies were terrible!!! Nice view of the lake. The lake did have leeches and was a little mucky. Falls was cool, but we couldn’t see the front of it. Could easily been a one day hike to falls and back, but we decided to camp out and make it a two day trip.

Thu May 17 2018

beautiful trail. what is lacks in breathtaking views, it more than makes up for by being less trafficked and peaceful.

Sat Aug 19 2017

Did the full trail . All the way to the death falls. There is a sign hung on a tree at the end from the 70s worth a look and appears some one camped out there recently. Be very very careful if you decide to venture past the lake and lean to . The trail is very over grown and we could not manage to find a better view of the main falls im going to go back there soon and find another route . I'd love to see these falls from a better safer point . All in all great trail and challenging if your not used to extended hikes .

Sun Jul 23 2017

hiked the whole trail leading to the top of the falls very long hike, after t lake you can make out the trail as long as you pay attention there also still old markers and red ribbons to help you along, bug spray is a must! this trail is not for beginners, also hiking boots should be considered. was disappointed due to the fact there wasn't a trail leading to the bottom of the falls, i will try again from another point but am having difficulties finding the 3rd trail head.

Sun Jul 09 2017

I hiked all the way to the falls, and I'm glad I did. Like Brannon said, the abandoned trail was tricky to follow. It's overgrown, more so before you reach the glades, and you will have to wade through brush. You can make out what is left of the footpath if you pay attention, and there are a few ribbons and markers left. Once I reached the falls, I also tried to climb down and quickly decided against it. If you do go out onto the rocks at the falls, stay far away from the water and be very careful. Several people have died going over the falls. There are areas of deep mud along the entire trail so boots are a must.

Sun Jun 18 2017

super awesome easy to use love it

Sat Jun 03 2017

Amazingly the trail was not too muddy (considering the amount of rain we've had) and bug free. A very cool and breezy day. The trail is mostly uphill or flat on the way to the lake. Very pretty woodlands. One good view of a wetland. A few small stream crossings. One larger stream crossing. Plenty of stones to hop across. The lean to is quite a bit away from the lake. It took me 2 hours to hike in. Same to hike out. Saw moose tracks.

Thu May 18 2017

Hiked all the way to the falls. The trail to the lean-to is fairly tame and typical for an Adirondack hike. The trail is well marked and a couple water crossings is all you'll have to worry about. Once you get to the lean-to you can see the faint remnants of the trail to the falls. I recommend only very experienced hikers attempt to follow it as the trail quickly disappears. If you pay attention it can still be followed, and on occasion you may see a ribbon or old trail marker lying on the ground, but Its apparent the DEC made an effort to remove all markers when they shut the trail to the falls down (due to several deaths at the falls). If you follow the river that flows from the lake you should be able to find them though, and the path offers some amazing views of wetlands. Closer to the falls I did run into some fresh bear tracks and territory markings on trees however, so make sure you bring your bear mace if you have it and make sure you're always paying attention. Once you get to the falls you finally get a sense of just how tall they are. The pictures don't do the height justice. After finding the old trail to the bottom I made an attempt to climb down, but it looks like a landslide took out a portion of the trail and only slippery moss covered rock at a 45 degree angle remains. it would be very easy to slip and tumble off the wooded area so I don't recommend even trying the decent. I went into this thinking I could manage the climb down. I changed my mind very quickly. All in all it was a great hike with excellent views. The lake is nice and the view from the top of the falls is worth it. Keep in mind there are signs of bears once you're on the abandoned trail to the falls.

Sun Apr 24 2016

Never went completely to the falls as I heard that the path is dangerous and difficult, if not impossible, to follow. We did make it past the lean-to to the lake which was very quiet and it was obvious that people had camped there before. It was a challenging hike in spots but the lake is peaceful.

Thu Dec 26 2013

We broke the trail as no one had used the trail in a while, so it was a fairly gruelling 7 miles or so. Decided to turnaround at the lean to and not do the falls, as I knew from some summer trail runs into T Lake, that it was difficult to work your way down to get a falls view vantage point. Will try hiking to the falls maybe sometime in fall or spring from G Lake instead

recorded Recording - Jul 14, 3:38 PM