Sutherland Pond Trail Loop

Sutherland Pond Trail Loop is a 1.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Old Chatham, New York that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.7 miles Elevation Gain: 131 feet Route Type: Loop

From the Taconic State Parkway: Take the exit marked for Route 295, East Chatham/Chatham. From the north, turn right off the exit ramp onto Hartigan Road. From the south, turn left onto Route 295 heading toward Chatham, proceed under the Taconic State Parkway, and then turn right onto Hartigan Road (which also leads to the southbound ramp to the Taconic State Parkway keep to the left to avoid getting on the parkway). Follow Hartigan Road for one mile until you come to a Y intersection. Proceed left for 0.3 miles; the main parking area will be on the left.

Lovely quick walk.

This is a lovely and easy walk around a lake surrounded by gentle rolling hills on mown grass paths. There are a number of alternative trails that are not shown on the app. The trail is dotted with benches, gazebos and even a picnic table.

Beautiful trail that winds up and down hills through meadows, light forest and along the pond with lots of lovely spots for resting or picnicking. Very easy - more a walk than a hike - and really enjoyable.

Great bird watching

Thursday, May 03, 2018

Great location as I wrote last year in my review, but be aware that there a a LARGE very active hive in some dead wood near the northwest corner of the trail. I've never actually HEARD the sound of a hive on the trail, and we didn't realize until we walked into the guard bees hovering. Made it past without issue, but YIKES.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Great easy trail with some nice views. Great for families or large groups.

Monday, July 03, 2017

I come here a lot to walk and relax... always enjoy it.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

This is a very nice place to walk; the only reason that I didn't give it 5 stars was that it was a bit wet in areas that I thought really wouldn't be wet (granted we had dourpour storms yesterday). Rolling hills, tall waving grass, beautiful sunset. It could have the potential of buggy, but they didn't bother me. I brought my wife and 7 kids, my youngest is 2 and he had no problem walking the entire trail himself. Definitely could have easily brought a stroller or even the kids on mountain bikes. Will definitely do again.

Friday, February 24, 2017

Two kids (7&11), myself and a dog. went 2/23/17. it was super wet and muddy due to recent melt of snow. we wore boots changed into flip flops because it was warm. Started at main parkings spot, stopped at benches up to the gazebo..coming down to finish the trail along the road was super muddy. Kids didn't care. they took off flip flops and we all left muddy, wet and happy. It is a pretty, open, space. lovely views. we saw about 6 beavers. we loved the space. BUT...there is dog feces everywhere. Even on the dock. it was horrible. This is why more places will not allow pets because people are so disrespectful to the land.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Hiked on a cold day in February, not much to see. We've also been in early fall and that was much more exciting. There are a lot of beavers living in the pond and their presence is easy to see in felled logs, lodges, etc. We spotted several swimming too. Keep dogs on a leash and pick up after them please!!

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Beautiful and peaceful place. Nice easy hike. Great for families. Nice area to sit at the top and overlook the pond.

Monday, February 29, 2016

Beautiful area with lots of open space to view the distant rolling hills and mountains. There are many benches along the way along with some nice wooden bridges and a gazebo at the top of the highest hill. My 3year-old daughter walked the whole way, and we brought my dogs along as well. I have hiked here several times since.

Sunday, July 19, 2015

I enjoyed my time here. Lots of up and down hills, portions of fields, and bits of woods. Very peaceful.

Friday, June 12, 2015

We live nearby and come here regularly for walks, picnics, relaxing. It's very pastoral, and I personally think it's the prettiest of the county land conservancy's properties. To the reviewer who questioned the miles, there are a few different trails.

Saturday, July 05, 2014

Very pretty pond. Not sure it was miles tho. Seemed shorter.

Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Enjoyed a few nice family hikes through this preserve.

recorded pond walk

Friday, July 06, 2018

Monday, May 28, 2018

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Sunday, July 23, 2017

recorded With Alicia!!!

Tuesday, December 06, 2016

recorded first trail with puppy

Thursday, December 01, 2016