Sugarloaf Mountain Loop Trail

Sugarloaf Mountain Loop Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Elka Park, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Catskillmountaineer.com rates this hike as double diamond difficult, and it is. It is MUCH harder than moderate. Sugarloaf is a great hike for experienced hikers who are comfortable rock climbing. Do not bring a dog unless you can lift them. It says 6.69 miles, but my Fitbit clocked 8 miles altogether. It took us 6 hours and we are locals who've hiked a lot (we did get caught in a thunderstorm though).

Took us about 4.5 hours to complete the full loop. We started counterclockwise and it was the best decision....there are some seriously steep parts where you really need to scramble. I had to pull myself up over rocks numerous times and can't imagine having to go down that way! It rained the day before so very mucky and definitely slippery in sections. I highly recommend hiking boots and taking your time, quite a bit of loose rocks throughout! The views were good but as others said, a bit overgrown. Be aware of the summit, we walked right past the piled rocks marking it and didn't even realise! Overall, a tough hike but very enjoyable.

Did the full loop with 3 friends. We were all fairly athletic at one point and are now at sedentary jobs so we aren't well conditioned, with that in mind it took us about 7-8 hours to do the trail with frequent water breaks and one lunch break on the summit on a cloudy 65 degree day. You need about 3 L of water to do the hike, maybe more if it's hot or sunny. We all enjoyed the ascent, it was steep and challenging. Definitely worth the trip if you like scrambling. All in all a beautiful and challenging hike that I would recommend to most people so long as they are in ok shape and not very overweight.

This is NOT a moderate trail, at least not in April 2017. Some incredibly steep and difficult sections on both the way up and down, made treacherous by ice. Completely inappropriate for anyone with a dog or child. We made it (just) but most people turned back halfway.

Great hike! The west side of Sugarloaf had some very steep and rocky hand over hand climbing. Two nice vistas on Sugarloaf (getting pretty overgrown) plus beautiful views at the quarry and pond. One of my favorite hikes.

Good trail. Some steep ascents but all in all not bad. Nice shale lounge on the south side

Sugarloaf Mountain can be summed up in one word: fulfilling. I am surprised no one else reviewed this mountain because this hike has it all. I disagree with the consensus that this trail is moderate because it will definitely be difficult for some on the descent. My Uncle and I trekked this mountain at a steady pace with multiple inclines varying from steep to rock scrambles. You will come upon a man-made rock throne that makes for a memorable photo. There are thousands of shale rocks piled in groups that mimic a scene out of Conan the Barbarian. After this encounter, you will stumble upon a beaver dam that is breathtaking. It began to mist as we gazed upon the dam overlooked by looming trees which added to the majestic experience. The views overlooking the Catskill peaks are worthwhile and not as overgrown as most peaks have become in this region. The descent is where things get a little tricky and you have to follow the correct color path you are on. They are not spaced out conveniently so you need to be aware of your bearings. In case of rain, be mindful of the many flat rocks you must shimmy down as the down slope becomes a hazard if you are not taking your time. We fell a few times by taking the lightest step onto these rocks - make sure your hiking boots are in pristine shape. You actually begin to ascend again after a while which may confuse you to believe you took the wrong path back to complete the loop. A pattern of ups and downs happens frequently for about 2 miles until you reach the end of the loop. Overall, this hike has been my favorite of my slew of Catskill expeditions. A true gem that deserves more recognition.

Monday, July 02, 2012