Suffern-Bear Mountain Trail

Suffern-Bear Mountain Trail is a 21.5 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Suffern, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

Challenging and great views. Up and down peaks!

Had a black bear encounter today (Wednesday, July 19th) as I was returning from "The Pines", about 2 miles from the dump-out point long the Palisades Parkway hiker crossing. Halfway down the hill, distracted by my own singing (yes, I was being very loud), I turned my head to the right and no more than 15-20 feet away ( about 3 car lengths), stood a VERY large bear, as this was my first ever bear encounter, I was paralyzed from fear, as this was my first ever encounter with a bear and it's incredibly close proximity to the trail into my eyes (it was instinctual, I'll know not to do that next time) Keep in mind, it seems to be peak blueberry season and the valley I was descending to had an abundant supply for Harriman's berry-loving bears, so the likelihood of bears in that area may be higher this time of year.

I did a few miles of the trail, parked on Queensboro rd and took the white trail to the yellow trail that lead up to pingpy mountain. I had to turn around when I got to the top because it had rained the night before and between the damp ground and the wet leaves it was extremely dangerous. I will definitely come back in the spring to do it again.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

The toughest end to end trail in Harriman . The SBM never makes it easy! Great for overnighter on weekends ! Stay alert as trail can be difficult in spots , especially on the Pyngyp the toughest climb up or down I've done in Harriman .

Tuesday, July 19, 2016