Street Mountain and Nye Mountain Trail is a 8.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near North Elba, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Street (ADK 31) and Nye (ADK 45) are considered trail-less peaks which means they are not officially maintained and are unmarked. Street and Nye are two of the Adirondack's 46 High Peaks and are considered trail-less which means they are not marked and they are not officially maintained. As you leave the Loj you head towards the Mt. Joe trailhead and enjoy a nice view of Heart Lake along the way. Once you reach the trailhead for Mt. Joe you will see a sign that says te trail is unmaintained from this point forward - that is where you are headed. After about 1.2 miles you will reach Indian Brook which you must make your way across by rock hopping - be careful in times of high water and keep it safe (if you need to think about the crossing twice, that is your answer to turn around, sit and enjoy the brook and then come back and cross it another day). After the rock hop there is a second crossing which can be done via a tree that has fallen over the brook. After this you can follow the herd paths up to Nye and Street. This is a little tougher to do in the winter. The hike is around 9 miles and gets a little steep and heavy with blow down towards the top but is very enjoyable.

This was the right hike for the busy Columbus Day weekend - only saw ten other hikers. The trail was not marked but fairly easy to follow. The brook was high enough that shoes off for the crossing was the right decision, and on the way back the water felt pretty refreshing. Some nice little lookouts from both Street and Nye. I've heard people say this hike isn't worth it unless you're going for 46, but I really enjoyed it and thought it was a pretty relaxed day compared to a lot of Adk hikes - "only" about 2500 ft of elevation gain. The gorgeous near-peak fall trees didn't hurt!

Nothing too special about these two. There were no great views and the trail was a bit hard to find in one spot in particular after a major river crossing - but I’m going to blame that on the new fallen leaves obscuring the trail.

Unless you’re going after all 46 of the highest peaks, I’d skip this hike. It wasn’t too hard, there were no good rock scrambles, and all in all, it wasn’t a very noteworthy hike.

My daughter and I did this on Saturday, September 22 it was muddy and fun only saw 10 other hikers. Outstanding views from the south west corner of the street summit

Street and Nye are trailess peaks. However, the herd path is fairly easy to follow. There are several split offs that go around obstacles in different ways but they all seemed to meet up. The beginning of the trail is fairly easy. The trail is fairly level ground for about the first mile to mile and a half. Start out at the ADK Loj trail to Mount Jo, sign in and follow the Street and Nye trail sign. Cross Indian Brook a little less than a mile in. You will see the creek then follow the path to the right and in a few minutes you will see the crossing marked with several cairns. The trail picks up right across the creek with a short, but steep climb. Follow the trail along the edge of the embankment. We accidentally followed a different trail, but it met up. You'll see a large beaver pond. Past this you will have a stream on one side of you or another and cross it several times as you make your way up the mountain. After this there is a fairly steep climb up a rocky path, not quite a boulder scramble, just rocky. After this there is a steep winding path. I didn't realize how steep it really was until I was coming back down. There are fallen trees and debris to climb over throughout the trail because it is not maintained. You'll reach a die-back area of old spruce trees, you're almost at the junction of the two mountains then. There is a cairn and a sign scratched into a tree at the junction. We took the trail that goes more to the left and went to Street first. This is a narrow, winding trail that drops to the col first and then up to the peak. It's not as steep as the earlier section. The best views are off the back of Street. There are herd paths on the top of the mountain going to different views. There is a small sign at the top. We went back down and up a very short climb to Nye. There is a ledge on your way to Nye on the left side of you're headed up. This has the best views. There's wasps, there's rocks, there's a lot of up, there's trees to climb over, but they are 46ers. It took us about 8 hours and we're not fast hikers.

Great Southern view of most 4k footers on Street if you stay right on all the spur trails going past the summit. Nye has a nice lookout. Took 4.5 hours total (2 to Nye, 1 to Street, 1/2 for lunch, 1 down), but I’d imagine 6 hours rt if you take breaks and hike carefully going downhill. Pretty well maintained/trafficked for a herd path.

The trail was pretty easy besides all of the elevation gain at the end. Everyone says there are no views but the lookout on Street and Nye had decent views.

Trail was easy enough to follow along and despite the concern for the trail being unmaintained it was manageable for kids (11 and 13) and dog. I’d like to rate it higher but there really wasn’t much in the way of views or good resting/lunch places to make the day a memorable one. Love the 46! This one is not one of the best.

The fam did this hike yesterday. It was a nice day for it, warm but not hot and not really buggy at all. Started at the loj using the Mt Jo trail signs. The 'trailless' path was easy to follow from there for most of the hike. Crossing over the Indian Brook was no problem, water was low. I think it'd have to have literally just rained to not be able to cross in your boots. We reached the junction tree with St & Nye carved into it and decided to get Nye done first since there is zero view. It was a quick walk to the peak, then back and moving on to Street. This was also not a terrible ascent, most of the path is fairly flat until the final ascent to the peak. The peak itself didn't have a view but if you walk around a little bit you can find an opening with a decent view. From start to finish it took us 6 hours. I enjoyed the hike itself, I only gave 4 stars because the views are not great.

Excellent herd trails, decent views. 6 hours including 20 minutes on Street's and 10 minutes on Nye's summit

Not a review...I'm new to the site and am curious if the distance is one way? I assume it is but wanted to make sure. Thanks in advance!

Did this on August 2nd. This was a great hike, the views weren't the best since it was raining, but the trail wasn't that hard to follow for it being unmarked and unmaintained. Crossing the brook was easy and after crossing that you cross another about 5-10 minutes later (we didn't realize that at first). The first 3 miles is easy to moderate and after that it gets pretty steep and muddy, nothing to worry about. We went to Nye first and then Street. The street mountain sign is to the left up on a tree and then there are about 3 different places to look out from. Wish we could have seen more summits, but my friend and I would say this is easier than Tabletop/Phelps!

Did this one on July 30th 2018. Enjoyable day, glad it was sunny most of the way, maybe saw 5 other people all day.

I would suggest when you first encounter the creek to avoid the temptation to cross right away, but instead follow along downstream a couple hundred feet to where the cairns are - not because it is easier to cross but because it will line you up with the trail on the other side. The crossing involved a couple of bold rock hops, but nothing dangerous and no wet feet.

When you get to the summit of Street, take a few minutes to find a trail through the pines (no more than 50 yards) to get a stunning view of both the Santanoni Range and the Seward Range. This is one of the 3 or 4 best views in the Adirondacks simply for its uniqueness - you can’t see these ranges so close from any road or mountain

Easier than I thought get it would be to navigate a trail less peak. Beautiful summits and blessed silence along the way.

Even though the views were limited, I really enjoyed this hike. There were no issues with insects or muddiness--my boots were drier than most days. I did change into sandals to cross the stream but barefoot would have been fine. Trekking poles help. The trail was narrow but easy to follow for the most part (overcast July day). Look for piles of limbs to warn you away from wrong turns (or add them yourself when you go). No view from the summit of Nye and a narrow window of a view from Street. It was not crowded at all even on a Saturday.

I chose a cloudy day knowing I wouldn't be looking forward to much at the summit. Considering there was a lot of rain this week, the mud wasn't bad, nor was the stream crossing.

We knew heading in that these two peaks have limited views but for aspiring 46ers you have to tag them!After leaving the ADK Loj loop trail to Mt. Jo you go “trailless “. Herd paths are well defined.A word of advice: if there has been a lot of rain or snow melt you will get wet crossing a brook. Rock hopped ourselves but was rather dry anyway.As the trail gains elevation you encounter lots of logs to scramble. Nye offers little view. Street has some views. I climbed a hardy spruce and got some awesome pics!All in all a good trip. Our fav moments were finding a red eft(?) salamander in the trail. The cedar log bridge over a creek. Mostly the creeks themselves.Worth the trip. Need to be in decent shape though. Not easy but doable.Take your time and you will be rewarded. Lots of birds.

I personally loved this hike! It wasn’t muddy or buggy and even though they were wooded, the summits were still a nice place to chat and eat lunch. Make sure you check out the lookout at the top of Street that’s just a bit past the summit sign! Such a beautifully green trail. The stream crossings were fine except the crossing the big one in the way back got us mixed up a bit so pay close attention to the trail there. (Hiked 7/13/18 - 8&9th 46ers)

A nice hike if you’re looking for a walk in the woods. Otherwise, not much of a view/payoff at the summit. Between trail split and Nye summit there’s a boulder on the left that offers a nice view. I had no issues finding the path on other side of the brook, which leads downstream. Also, you can look for Cairn in middle of stream as a guide, but I imagine it could be washed away in high water. At end of heart lake, take Nye ski trail which leads to herd path. Have fun!!

My daughter (7) and I really enjoyed this hike! The trail was really easy to follow (you do need to pay attention for the cairn to cross the brook - we had no issues spotting it). No technical or difficult climbing is involved. An easy climb for us.. These mountains do have some nice views - you just need to put in a few extra seconds of effort to find them. It was pretty hot, we drank regularly and had a lunch on each summit to keep our energy up. When we got back to the Loj, my daughter took a quick refreshing dip in Heart Lake. That's how you finish a hike!

As others have stated, it's a good idea to bring a GPS & map - even though the trail is obvious. Some people on here have complained about bugs and mud... So what!?! Those are the things you face hiking in the Adirondacks!

Street and Nye are certainly not my first recommendations for people to hike but if trying to become a 46-r than they must be hiked. Or if someone wants a less populated hike it’s worth doing, though there’s many better ones to choose still. Wooded summits with some partial views. First couple miles are a flat’ish woods walk before going up after crossing the river. For being unmaintained the trail is easy to follow and obvious, though locating the trail around the river crossing may take an extra minute or two since people have crossed the river in various places. The hike took me two hours to the trail split. Once reaching the split, Nye took me 7 minutes to summit, and then back at the trail split Street took 21 minutes. Overall a 5.5 hour hike at a moderate pace with minimal stops. Ate a PB&J for maybe 5 minutes at the split for a boost of energy, summits didn’t have many good spots to hang out on so I didn’t stay up there long before heading back. The trail is muddy like most, but also very green and narrow towards the top. Happy hiking!

Not the best views in the Adirondacks for sure. Moderately challenging trail made for a full day. Had rained the night before so we took off shoes and socks to cross the stream, which was up to our knees in some spots. Be prepared for black flies!

Only a sadist would hike these peaks if they weren't going for all 46.

I had some trepidation about tackling this unmaintained and unmarked trail, but I found that the path is decently apparent. That being said, doing some research, packing a GPS device (as well as a map and compass ) was handy. I checked my GPS a few times, mostly as a second opinion that I was on the right track. I actually had more difficulty locating the trailhead in relation to the parking lot. (For the record, it’s to your right as you pay for parking at the kiosk.)

A few things...

Indian Pass Brook was no problem to cross on 6/12/18; my boots got wetter on the trail.

You will step over/crawl under approximately 346 instances of blowdown.

There’s plenty of water along the trail for the first 2.5 miles or so. I started off carrying 4 liters for myself and canine companion and regretted it. If stopping to filter is your thing, you’ll be passing by a lot of water that you wouldn’t have to carry.

This was a great hike, but no true summit views. The trail was super muddy and the water was somewhat high so we stream crossing was tricky at times.

I agree with previous posts, do this in the winter. It made life much easier when following the trail. The river wasn't bad at all. There were some really amazing views on Street. It was a fantastic day hike, knocking out 2 more high peaks!

Do these during winter. Seriously. They are notorious for mud/bugs in the warner months. Decently steep towards the top of the brook, the ascent to both peaks from the junction was relatively easy. Street has an awesome lookout just 30 feet or so from the summit sign, don't miss out. Nye has minimal views, but it's an easy walk from the junction. Water crossing is pretty easy when the ice is thick enough. If not, just make sure you're surefooted.

I see this trail was recently changed from moderate to hard. Shout out to who ever changed it as this trail was far from moderate. I would consider myself an experienced hiker and would not classify this as moderate. I would recommend taking a GPS or researching this trail before hand as at times it can be hard to follow (not maintained trail). Keep your eyes out for the few cairns as they will help you stay the course.

Also whoever said there are no views from either of these mountains is absolutely wrong. Yes, technically the actual peak is filled with trees but take a quick look around and you will find beautiful views of the surrounding mountains/area.

Hiked Street & Nye Mountains on 12/26/2017. Set out from Adirondack Loj at 7:30am. Arrived at the Old Nye Ski trail shortly after and began the trail break. The trail appeared to be unused for at least a few days. Trail was defined but had probably eight to twelve inches of powdery fresh snow. We arrived at the first water crossing to find no defined way across and lots of fresh white snow. Long story short, we went very slow but not too slow and made it across without incident. It is frozen but was still mid level sketchy. I weigh around 225 and heard no cracking. Still sketchy though. Would hate to fall in there. Probably wouldn't be hurt but your hike would almost certainly be over. We continued up a relatively defined path and crossed a few more simple water hops. As we gained in elevation you could definetly see the difference in snow volume. Lots of snow, very narrow, very untouched. It was actually quite an experience for us. This was by far our snowiest outing to date. Had to crawl under a few trees over the course of the day but the blowdown was more than manageable. We broke good trail for approximately seventy five percent of the trip and felt great about it. Then out of nowhere the trail literally dissappeared. No sign at all of any possible trail. I walked maybe fifty feet and felt odd of it so turned around to regroup quickly. Literally as soon as we turned around another very friendly couple came walking up behind us and looked as lost as we were. I took a compass reading while they checked their phones. Turns out we were all walking the right way after all. We now had four snowshoes. Yay! It couldn't have come at a better time because we were now leaving "trail breaking" territory. This now looked like a straight bushwack to me. Snow was at least two feet deep. Probably five minutes later another came up from behind and joined in the fun. Six snowshoes! Even better! Again, it couldn't have come at a better time. Everything really felt like it happened for a reason to all of us for the rest of the day. Shortly after we reached the junction. Everyone waited while everyone else regrouped and drank and organized. Everyone was incredibly friendly. More friendly than I've seen. We all seemed to be in this together now. It was nice. Me and my partner hung our packs at the junction and headed to Street. More and more narrow snow hallways all the way to the summit. We hung, took a few pictures, took pictures for others and left. We were actually cold today and not ready to linger up top at all, haha. Made short work of the descent and then headed to Nye. Made even shorter work of that, did our photo stuff and left even quicker than we had at Street. We arrived back at junction and we all kinda said our "nice to meet ya's" and headed down at our own paces. We were last out at about 4:30pm. I know thats not a stellar time compared to some but we were happy. We walked basically a mile an hour which is where I'm usually at regardless of weather. All in all today was a totally different experience than we've ever had. All snow, no visible ice, cold as hell! It was awesome. We were definetly feeling it when we got down but it was a good burn. No slips, no falls, no submerged feet. That's a good day in my book. Street & Nye is good to go again. :)

Definitely don't regret my decision to spend my Black Friday in the mountains rather than in a shopping mall. Cloud cover broke way to blue skies late morning. Trails were covered with snow and the tracks of previous hikers which made it a little easier to find my way on this unmaintained trail. Stream crossing was fun. Just make sure you're surefooted. Peak views weren't the best but if you pass by the summit for street there is a nice little lookout. And the views on the descent were glorious. Great day hike with the dog. Watch for ice

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Not much of a view at the top, but that's not the point of this hike, in my opinion. The terrain is difficult, especially since the trail is not marked or maintained once you get past Hart Lake. It would be very challenging to stay on the trail without a GPS. Towards the end of the trail, it gets steep, muddy and narrow, but the terrain is so beautiful and unique, that it's worth it. The best part of the hike is definitely at the bottom where the creek crossing, beautiful birch trees and Hart Lake are. Wouldn't recommend if you're looking to go on a nice day hike, but if you're looking to become a 46r, it's not all that bad. Just make sure you come prepared with extra clothing (jacket, socks, etc.) and a GPS so you don't get lost!