Street Mountain and Nye Mountain Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(431)
High Peaks Wilderness

Street Mountain and Nye Mountain Trail is a 8.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Placid, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,634 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Street (ADK 31) and Nye (ADK 45) are considered trail-less peaks which means they are not officially maintained and are unmarked. Street and Nye are two of the Adirondack's 46 High Peaks and are considered trail-less which means they are not marked and they are not officially maintained. As you leave the Loj you head towards the Mt. Joe trailhead and enjoy a nice view of Heart Lake along the way. Once you reach the trailhead for Mt. Joe you will see a sign that says te trail is unmaintained from this point forward - that is where you are headed. After about 1.2 miles you will reach Indian Brook which you must make your way across by rock hopping - be careful in times of high water and keep it safe (if you need to think about the crossing twice, that is your answer to turn around, sit and enjoy the brook and then come back and cross it another day). After the rock hop there is a second crossing which can be done via a tree that has fallen over the brook. After this you can follow the herd paths up to Nye and Street. This is a little tougher to do in the winter. The hike is around 9 miles and gets a little steep and heavy with blow down towards the top but is very enjoyable.

icy

Street and Nye were very manageable hikes however because they are unmarked and unkept trails it made it a bit trickier to navigate. I highly suggest using this apps map to make sure you’re on trail. Crossing the Brooke was no picnic but was not impossible! Not many views but overall a good hike and pretty forest all the way up. All the toads kept us alert!

fee

fee
icy

Our biggest worry going into this hike was how the river crossing was going to be. We decided to just change shoes and forge through the river and it wasn't very difficult as we took it slow and used our hiking poles for assistance. The hike itself was of medium difficulty and a few times we had to stop and say "wait a second, are we on the trail". The weather was gorgeous all day long and our conversations helped to pass the time as we reached the summit of both Street & Nye. We found a nice little rock overlooking the high peaks (more specifically Algonquin) in order to take a break on both the ascent and descent in order to refuel and take in the beauty of the ADKs.

icy

Awesome trail, I crossed the creek without getting wet (a couple hundred feet upstream of where most people crossed). Not very spectacular summits but still defiantly worth the hike

icy

Almost drowned within first 20 minutes by crossing high flow-freezing water but pushed on up to the summits only to be greeted by a cleared out circle of sad looking pine trees (both summits). Zero views from the summits but I digress, needed the pair for the checklist on the 46ers. On the way back down, I offered to provide safe passage across the raging frigid river to a small terrified dog, and I nearly lost my life again. The dog and I locked eyes as the raging water rushed over us and forced us under the water. We both knew it was now or never to make it - you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. I pulled the strength from deep in my aching body and held the dog above my head and forged against the mighty current. “Not today Satan” I shouted at the raging river. It was angry that day, but the dog and I persevered. I now am friends with him on Instagram, we are taking it slow. You also need microspikes for the ice.