Storm King Mountain via Storm King Trail

Storm King Mountain via Storm King Trail is a 3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Cornwall, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from August until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Pull off on Northbound side.

It was a great hike for Saturday afternoon! sharp inclines in the beginning to get the heart racing.

I did the orange trail to the teal and yellow trail and it immediately starts off with rock scrambling and a pretty steep climb. There are multiple beautiful views though. The snow made it a little slippery, but be sure to have a trail map on hand because there are quite a few trail intersections that made it confusing and easy to get lost.

It’s a nice moderate hike. Great views from the top. There are several trails within this hike. Easy to confuse the route even when following the signs, so it may require some navigation on your part. It’s great for novices and those who don’t want to drive too far up north. You can hear cars and see the road from some points of the hike, so that helps too

I love this trail. I've hiked it a handful of times and I still enjoy the vistas and lookouts. Moderate difficulty with a few points of extreme gradation. Takes about 3 hours to hike. Also significantly less traffic than on Anthony's Nose or Breakneck.

Good, short, moderate hike with a lot of rewarding views.

Did the trail covered in snow, it was lovely (as described). PLEASE have an understanding of the trail loop BEFORE arriving as the map at trailhead is sun-faded. Confusion can occur due to a few trail crossroads. I'm uploading a map pic. Highly recommend this trail!

TOOO COLD

Amazing views even on a foggy day.

I did the white then blue/yellow followed by the red. This should provide you the loop as shown on the map

We took the white trail (right side at entrance) to blue/yellow to red and I found this more rewarding as the views got better and better along the way. Minor scrambling at the end, but nothing my dog couldn't handle.

Gorgeous views all around. I would say besides some minor scrambling this hike is not hard at all. The way back is a lot of downhill

Incredible Hike. You cannot go wrong in the Hudson Valley. Check out my full write up with pictures and things to look out for.

Pretty quick and easy. Took white up and back to avoid too much rock scrambling. Great views

Great views and hike. For the experienced hiker start the loop on left and circle back with the white trail. For those not up for the scrambling just follow the white trail on the right up to storm king mountain for the Hudson view and head back on the same trail.

This was a fun trail — followed orange blaze up, a bit steep the the beginning with a bit of rock scrambling in a couple places. Areas were carpeted In leaves and the end was especially beautiful because it looked like fall. A bit of a gradual downhill for the most part at the end and then a short steep hike up to the road/parking lot. Not sure how tires and some metal machinery or appliances for stranded there right toward the end. Bed of leaves meant I had to pay extra attention to jagged rocks for foot placement.

Fantastic. Great climb. Some mild scrambling. Stunning foliage in the fall. Perfect view of the Hudson from the top. Sweaty climb to an easy stroll. Totally worth it.

This is a beautiful hike. Lots of view points and just gorgeous with the fall foliage. Get there early! The parking lot was half full when I arrived around 8:30 am and by noon when I left there was no place to park and people were parking down 9w. I went the red markers to blue to blue/yellow and then looped back on the white markers.

Amazing fall colors. Cannot imagine a better hike in the fall. Very accessible.

Everything you want in a mtn hike... views the whole way.. you will def work for it though... super fun in the oc

I found the trail to be challenging with lots of rocky terrain. This was my first hike ever, but it was manageable. A previous commenter was very helpful in noting the simple directions of following the orange markers to ascend, continue to blue/yellow and then descend following white markers. The views were fantastic! great hike!

Hiked with 5 kids! Very challenging but rewarding. Beware of some rock climbing/sliding involved but mostly moderate.

Definitely would not classify this as a Hard hike. Views are extremely rewarding. IMO, better than breakneck which is across the river.

great 3 hr hike, not too difficult, and you csn bring your dog too.

Excellent hike. I would have given it a moderate hiking level. Fantastic views of the Hudson. Decent birding. I would recommend this to somebody looking for a brief afternoon hike in the Cornwall area.

Some challenging ups and downs but well worth it for the views.

Should really be rated as moderate. Nice hike!

Strenuous and rocky, so make sure you have good footwear. Easy to follow trail, but you need to be cognizant of the changing trail blaze colors (orange to teal to white). There are three different peaks all with great views.

My first hiking experience was 7/31/17 and it was the Butterhill/Stormking trail. I got there about 10:00AM and had a blast. I was by myself which now looking back might not have been the most wise decision. But it was a great time to be had. I found it challenging and now I feel as if I've been bit by some sort of bug. This has definitely opened up a new chapter in my life as I'm really not able to compete in organized sports at a high level anymore. The views were great and it had a good taste of how scrambling across rocks feel. It was quite sunny and a good and thorough sweat was achieved. I will definitely look into a better water carrying apparatus before my next jaunt. Did get lost and ended up descending what I believe to be was storm king mountain and had to end up backtracking up to the correct way the blue trail was headed. I think that added a solid mile to my trip because Endomondo logged me in at a bit over 4 miles from the parking lot and back. I'm researching breakneck ridge for the next endeavor before heading further north. I really appreciate these apps and sites like catskill mountaineer for the first hand accounts and experiences from other individuals. It gives one the opportunity to somewhat visualize a potential trail and develop what I like to call a health fear and respect before actually undertaking the hike itself. I don't know maybe I'm looking too much into it but the outdoors are great for a reason and I certainly want to do my share of keeping them that way. Corny as it sounds but we only have one Earth.

Did this in July. Excellent trail. Main parking lot was full on Sunday so we parked at a nearby trail and added one mile hike to our route to both butter hill and storm summits. 5.5 miles total round trip.