Storm King Mountain via Storm King Trail

Storm King Mountain via Storm King Trail is a 2.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Cornwall, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Pull off on Northbound side.

I did this hike with my parents and sister for the first time with a guide. I booked it for Father's Day. There were some moderately steep climbs that my parents (both over 50 and not super active) were able to do but struggle a little bit. The views were worth it and now they can't stop talking about it! We started at 7:30am on a Sunday morning and there were only a couple hikers on the trail. When we finished around 10:30am there were so many more cars so I recommend starting before 8am.

If you go from near the highway to around the mountain and up, it can be exhausting. The hiking trip our group did was about 6 miles. Gorgeous area, you can see vultures flying above and even find wild blueberries there.

great hike. tip: go to http://hikethehudsonvalley.com/storm-king/ and follow their trail guide. easy to get lost at points. per their guide, it’s about an hour hike to the money point, with some rock scrambling. not suitable for small hikers or those wishing for an easy stroll. once you’re ready to head back down, it’s about another half hour walk. AS OF JUNE 17, the parking lot is still closed. park along the roadway, can get crowded at times.

Nicely challenging 3mile hike. Go up to the left on aqua yellow trail which is a good climb in the beginning. Nice views very quickly and then meandering moderately. Come down on the white.

Fantastic hike with great views.

Awesome hike with great views! I did see a Rattlesnake on the side of the main trail and it warned me when I was about 5 feet away. Not great for small dogs unless you carry them, there’s some actual rock climbing where you use your hands to help get up it. But my Lab and German Shepherd did fine. Highly recommend!

Really stupendous hike. Definitely strenuous the first mile out but the money spots are so worth it. One of the best hikes in the area.

Beautiful hike, moderate is about right I'd say. There are some phenomenal views -- really, some of the best anywhere in the Hudson Highlands -- just 0.4 miles in (taking the counter-clockwise route), so it's also well suited for a quick up-and-down if that's all you've got the time or inclination for. In addition to a cute red fox bounding across the trail, today I saw a small black bear, probably a juvenile, sniffing around next to a ridge, about 50 yards off the path. It took note of me, seeming basically uninterested, and then ambled over the ridge. Reader, I did not stick around to find out if there were more.

I brought my roommate here and as people who haven't hiked in some years, this was a great and challenging trail!
The red/blue path makes a subtle turn which we missed and had to backtrack for, but otherwise very enjoyable!

First things first...make sure you approach the parking area from the northbound side of 9W. This was a nice hike to get your heart rate up a bit and although I did it on a foggy morning there are some great views. Great spot for birding as well...saw my first blackthroated blue warbler of the season. Trails can be confusing..seems as if the blue and yellow trail is all over the place.

It was a great hike for Saturday afternoon! sharp inclines in the beginning to get the heart racing.

I did the orange trail to the teal and yellow trail and it immediately starts off with rock scrambling and a pretty steep climb. There are multiple beautiful views though. The snow made it a little slippery, but be sure to have a trail map on hand because there are quite a few trail intersections that made it confusing and easy to get lost.

It’s a nice moderate hike. Great views from the top. There are several trails within this hike. Easy to confuse the route even when following the signs, so it may require some navigation on your part. It’s great for novices and those who don’t want to drive too far up north. You can hear cars and see the road from some points of the hike, so that helps too

I love this trail. I've hiked it a handful of times and I still enjoy the vistas and lookouts. Moderate difficulty with a few points of extreme gradation. Takes about 3 hours to hike. Also significantly less traffic than on Anthony's Nose or Breakneck.

Good, short, moderate hike with a lot of rewarding views.

Did the trail covered in snow, it was lovely (as described). PLEASE have an understanding of the trail loop BEFORE arriving as the map at trailhead is sun-faded. Confusion can occur due to a few trail crossroads. I'm uploading a map pic. Highly recommend this trail!

TOOO COLD

Amazing views even on a foggy day.

I did the white then blue/yellow followed by the red. This should provide you the loop as shown on the map

We took the white trail (right side at entrance) to blue/yellow to red and I found this more rewarding as the views got better and better along the way. Minor scrambling at the end, but nothing my dog couldn't handle.

Gorgeous views all around. I would say besides some minor scrambling this hike is not hard at all. The way back is a lot of downhill

Incredible Hike. You cannot go wrong in the Hudson Valley. Check out my full write up with pictures and things to look out for.

Pretty quick and easy. Took white up and back to avoid too much rock scrambling. Great views

Great views and hike. For the experienced hiker start the loop on left and circle back with the white trail. For those not up for the scrambling just follow the white trail on the right up to storm king mountain for the Hudson view and head back on the same trail.

This was a fun trail — followed orange blaze up, a bit steep the the beginning with a bit of rock scrambling in a couple places. Areas were carpeted In leaves and the end was especially beautiful because it looked like fall. A bit of a gradual downhill for the most part at the end and then a short steep hike up to the road/parking lot. Not sure how tires and some metal machinery or appliances for stranded there right toward the end. Bed of leaves meant I had to pay extra attention to jagged rocks for foot placement.

Fantastic. Great climb. Some mild scrambling. Stunning foliage in the fall. Perfect view of the Hudson from the top. Sweaty climb to an easy stroll. Totally worth it.

This is a beautiful hike. Lots of view points and just gorgeous with the fall foliage. Get there early! The parking lot was half full when I arrived around 8:30 am and by noon when I left there was no place to park and people were parking down 9w. I went the red markers to blue to blue/yellow and then looped back on the white markers.

Amazing fall colors. Cannot imagine a better hike in the fall. Very accessible.

Everything you want in a mtn hike... views the whole way.. you will def work for it though... super fun in the oc