Storm King Mountain via Storm King Trail

Storm King Mountain via Storm King Trail is a 2.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Cornwall, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Pull off on Northbound side.

Short hike. Well-marked trail. Some rock scrambling but nothing technical...

An amazing yet short trail that has plenty of view points. Had to climb some rocks at some parts of the trail.

This trail is well marked but it’s definitely not a moderate hike. It should be rated difficult! There is no light Rock scrambling its more like rock climbing! Very very steep on the aqua and yellow trail along with the orange trail. You will have to take orange trail back to car the aqua and yellow will not take you back there. Great views but extremely difficult. This is not a hike for beginners or intermediate hikers. Make sure you wear good hiking shoes because this is not a sneaker trail. I rated a 3 because of views.

Great short technical climb and descent. Well marked, great views.

Light scrambling clockwise (orange) but nothing too scary or technical. Excellent views that keep improving as you go. Arrived 9am and half of parking lot was full. Returned at 11:30 and there were cars waiting. Easy and safe to solo hike. Not too crowded during hike itself but semi- busy at the lookout points. Very rocky path throughout. Have to watch your step the entire way. Good to have sturdy hiking boots to protect against foot rolling.

Great moderate hike, probably one of the top ones in the area. There are a couple small sections where very very minor rock scrambling is required. Nothing major though and this shouldn't dissuade you from doing the hike if you can keep your balance. The views towards Newburgh/Beacon and Breakneck are amazing.

Note of caution though, this trail is super crowded. The parking lot was full by 9:30 a.m. (which can fit about 60 cars). I'm sure the crowds are unbelievable in the summertime.

Great views and very well marked. Loved it!!

Beautiful hike with great views and charming rock formations. Moderately challenging overall. Would highly recommend. (2.3 miles, took us an hour and a half - intermediate hikers)
4 stars because the trail markers were not the most clear, manageable but not ideal.

The steeper parts were a bit tricky in the snow but overall manageable even with just regular hiking shoes. Well marked trails and pretty lookout points which I’m sure will also be beautiful in the springtime.

Have done this trail twice now. Really should be rated difficult, because there is a lot of climbing, which was unexpected, but also, I am a beginner. The views are just amazing. Great workout. Takes me 2-3 hours to complete the loop. Will go back once the weather gets better!!!

Nice afternoon walk, not too hard at all. Some light scrambling and nice views. Definitely good stuff for the proximity to NYC.

All in all it’s a great trail. I would rate it difficult the rock scramble was a little intense but doable. Got to say I had two mountain dogs and it was a little of a challenge for them. No they were fine but no litte dogs unless u have a back pack

One of my favorite hikes .. I’ve done it twice and it was even better the second time. Trail was easy to follow and it was short enough and not to difficult for first time hikers. There are beautiful views the whole way up. Can’t wait to hike this again !

Really well marked trail.

This was a well-balanced hike—equal parts light to medium scrabbling over sheer rock and painless and serene strolling beneath a thick forested canopy. Start this hike by bearing to your left to get the walk up out of the way. We brought our small dog who is a master scrambler and had to be lifted only once or twice. This is an awesome hike that you can cut in half by taking the middle route in the center of the loop. A good two hours going this way. Some great views from the top. Be careful and don’t pass the parking lot on the right as you climb up the mountain on Route 9A or you’ll have to turn around and go all the way back down the mountain and come back up—you can only enter the lot going north. Have fun!

Nice trail!

Just completed today. Did it in 2ish hours with a 20 minute picnic at the money spot. Fun scrambling in the beginning. Not too crowded, great views

I’m in love with this mountain - I’m from the area so I will only hike it during the week if I happen to have a day off. On the weekends, it’s just way too crowded. You get breathtaking views every couple of steps if you hike the orange trail. You can get a little turned around once the orange trail ends, but if you take that to the teal blue diamond trail aka the blue bird (not the teal and yellow) it will take you up to a spectacular 360 view - keep following that trail to another junction, at this point take the teal and yellow - it will lead you out to more spectacular views - you can take the white trail all the way back out to the parking lot. I always find peace up here, I bring a lite snack with me when I get to the money spot - it’s worth taking it all in for a short rest. Enjoy!

This was a great short hike- everything we like- scrambles, views, quiet trails, wildlife. So glad we had to wait for a fuel pump repair on our way back to Boston. Great way to pass a couple hours.

Great hike with a gorgeous view of the Hudson Valley. The scramble over the first 40 minutes or so was an invigorating kind of challenging. Not too hard. Not too easy. Totally recommend.

Great hike with great views! And pretty short too! I took plenty of time and stopped at lookout points and took photos and still got back in 3 hrs. It’s a nice day hike with some elevation climb and great views of be Hudson.

The trail was excellent! I used the app a few times just to get an idea of how far we'd gone and where the best picture stops were, but the trails are clearly marked with various colored markers. You can do the entire thing as a loop and even with a lot of photo stops we made it through the whole thing in under 3 hours. We had a dog with us and he had no problem. Highly recommend!

From the parking lot, we went to the right and I think had an easier hike based on the amount of downhill on the way out and the fact that we finished this is under 1 hour 30 whereas most other peoples recordings were 2-3hours. So if you want a challenging hike, go left up the hill, if you want a moderate hike, go right down the hill. The views were great on this trail but there seemed to be a lot of broken glass and garbage not long after the entrance halfway up the hill. Also, lots of people were blasting blue tooth speakers. Why go into nature just to listen to rihanna? I'll never understand.

It s in my backyard and I never get sick of it or the views

Moderate fun rock climbing with fantastic views. Great for adventurous family day with the dog.

Loved this hike! It's a moderate one with some rock scaling. The views are outrageous and worth the climb

This is my 1st time writing a review on this particular trail. I’ve done this hike many times and all four seasons (summer, fall, winder, and spring) with friends and most of the time alone, every time I do this hike - I always enjoy the fantastic scenic views that it has to offer.

However, for the beginners that would like to try this hike – do recommend to research other people advice on the proper direction / trail guide for this hike. Please be advice, all of this is not to say that this is an easy hike. There are a couple of very steep stretches within this hike. For example: In the beginning of hike it requires a little bit of rock scrambling. These steep stretches in the beginning are the reasons I’ve rank this hike a fairly beefy difficulty rating of 5 stars. If you can get past the first 30 minutes or so, though, this hike becomes more of a stroll, with amazing views in all directions as you circle the crown of Storm King Mountain.

I highly recommend this hike, even if you don’t like hiking, give it a try and see if it doesn’t change your mind. And if you already like hiking, you’re in for an amazing treat!

Hiking here in the winter is very dangerous do to ice all over the path. Don't hike here in February... unless you like fun