Stillwell Woods Trail

moderate 333 reviews

Stillwell Woods Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Woodbury, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 236 feet Route Type: Loop

Stillwell Woods Preserve is a 270 acre preserve and multiple-use area great for hikers, runners, cyclists and equestrians.

Beautiful walk with my lovely daughter, Shireen. we enjoyed and talked about Fozia Khalas childhood science experiments including a heart surgery on chicken heart. Weather was nice and warm (66f)... can you believe it?! Shireen got thirsty and we had no water. Bring the water next time Shireen! To be continued.....

Not a very interesting trail to walk. Definitely mountain biking focused.

Excellent back woods environment.

I went back and finally did the long trail and loved every bit of it...There are no markings so I started walking, following mixed pathways of directions and getting lost...strangely, getting lost had an excitement to its own. In the end, I used the app in navigating back to the parking lot by the park. If I didn’t use the app, I would have definitely been lost and most likely never made it back. The trail is more for mountain biking and there are many along the way.. Just be aware and keep to the side when they’re passing through. This makes me want to bike and it’s pretty neat that there are marking levels for them from easier to difficult.

Not sure if I did the right trail. I followed the white markings from the parking lot which was pretty visible along the route. I believe there is another trail that was being shown on the map but I couldn’t seem to find it. I winged it and followed the white trail. It was short and easy.

Great day in Stillwell Woods slowly jogging Green Course as set by Long Island Orienteering Club member Misha Leder. Thank you for the fun day.

This is a great trail. Definitely a great mountain bike trail too. Really well maintained. I would definitely recommend it.

I like the markings Easiest..more difficult and most difficult...next time will try the Most difficult one..mountain biking is best way to go..

Definitely meant for mountain biking! No dogs are allowed. Fun trail with some challenging trails while on a bike. It is well marked and fairly intuitive, but the AllTrails map definitely helps. Happy trails!

Walked the trail three times this month, and on different weather conditions. The beauty on each trip was amazing.

trails markings were not good. would be lost without alltrails app. made it back to car.

Hardly any markings You can get lost for hours

This is mainly a mountain biking trail, I have seen a few reviews from hikers who are unaware. There are hiking trails that pass through, they are Blue and White blazes but they are shared use and you need to be aware that you can have bicycles coming through at speed. If you are a trail runner or a hiker who listens to music, only wear one ear bud. That being said it’s a great trail system for Long Island that was formed on the edge of a glacier so it’s sandy and rocky with some decent climbs. The maintained trails are very well marked.

The markings for this trail were very poor in several spots that it was quite easy to get off trail, if not for having the app I am not sure how long it would take us to find our way out Otherwise it was a great hike, with remarkable inclines for Long Island. If you go on a very wet day I would expect some spots to get quite slippery, we did negotiate some muddy spots, but nothing too challenging. This trail is shared with bikes, but we went on Father’s Day and it was not crowded at all, but you need to be mindful when hiking that you share the trail with bikers that can be approaching quite fast. I would consider doing this trail again but would really appreciate if the trail blazes could be updated.

Beautiful and serene!

Excellent mountain bike trails, intermediate to experienced

I have hiked high hill many times. first time on west hill.im just upset to see all the meticulously maintained lean to and camp sites that are not "open" to the public. The trail was decent for long island. a bit noisy from the northern state.

This trail was awesome for intermediate and advanced bikers to have a blast

Great, well-kept trails with lots of options for any level hiker or biker. Met very few people on the way but the bikers were all friendly and didn’t bother me. Will definitely be coming back to try some other trails here!

Mon Feb 11 2019

hiked the whole trail was only 2.36 miles. Was a biking trail very muddy in spots.

Sun Nov 18 2018