Stid Hill Multiple Use Area Trails

Stid Hill Multiple Use Area Trails is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Canandaigua, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 633 feet Route Type: Loop

NOTE: This hike passes through areas surrounded by private property. Remember to stay on the trail.

glad to have this trail just a few miles from where I live. it is a narrow trail very rustic what goes through a beautiful area and Forest. can be muddy but given the time of year that is to be expected. Overall pretty nice hike. The markings could be better. The trail went from orange white to blue, back to orange white.

well designed and very dry despite recent rains. Most leaves are down but not enough to open views. Must try this trail in Winter.

Was a nice hike nothing too strenuous for a seasoned hiker. However, if you bring your dog beware there are ticks. My dog got one, and we had to pull it out.

Nice hike. No views. Wooded hike up an back

Fun trail but nothing scenic. Switchbacks in the way up and blazed my own trail on the way down.

private property

The trail at the trail head we used crosses onto private property a few times. It is well worn though and it seems to be ok. Fairly steep accent.

Too muddy will go back another day.

private property

Well, the trail itself was nice despite the rainy weather, and a bit challenging to go up the hill which is perfect. However, as soon as I got to almost the top of the hill, I was extremely disappointed by walking into the area literally overloaded with those yellow "Privatepropertynotresspassingviolatorswillbeprocecuted" signs. At one spot they were on both sides of the trail like a gate, not even on one side! On both sides of PUBLIC HIKING TRAIL OF STATE LAND! What a shame! I parked and started my hike at the designated parking lot off route 64 with informational stand indicating "Stid Hill Multiple Use area, State Land", and there was no warning at all that at some point the trail will become as called "private property". All of a sudden there were just too many of those nonsense yellow sings! And what, do you suppose to turn around in the middle of your nice hike on the designated trail and go back - that would be nonsense. It is such a shame! If you look at the map - there are SO FEW PUBLIC AREAS left around Canandaigua Lake/Naples. And now even those few are continuing being invaded by those ignorant, selfish and useless "land owners". My question is: what an idiotic law would even allow this to happen? It is not just disrespect to hikers and violation of their rights, but also those signs are damaging the trees, because of the nails that they are hung on... This outrage needs to stop! Anyways, my hike on this trail would have been nice, but those idiotic signs spoiled the whole experience!

The mud is definitely legit at the beginning of the trail lol! We didn't find it hard to find the trail anywhere but we were just kinda following the more beaten path that wasn't leaf covered. I followed the exact trail marked in all trails app and it ends up being exactly 4.3 and not 3.7 as advertised. Several stream crossings and some wooded views from the top but nothing really worth going just for the view. It was a cloudy day and 45 degrees today. Just perfect weather for a strenuous hike. Not too bad for kids. Our 9 year old did it no problem. Have fun!

Didn't start recording til I left the white/yellow trail from the TH and had been on just yellow for a bit. Bushwacked to cut over to the blue and followed the loop back to yellow and stayed on that to where I left it for the bushwack and continued on down the white/yellow back to the TH. Beginning of trail is very wet and muddy. Total mileage is 5.9.

Be very careful - hiked the trail today and let’s just say a lot of water obstacles!

Sat Jan 05 2019

I entered north of Bristol mountain and the first mile was very apparent where the trail was , after that hard to follow got a little lost then finally found a blaze and was very happy to find it! It was a pretty runable trail when I wasn’t lost in the woods looking for blazes

Mon Dec 24 2018

Strenuous hike for those that don't do it often enough, but well worth it. Did wind up losing the trail at the end (my bad) and blazed my own on the way down. Bridge at the beginning may need to be extended. Had to find a way across a split in the stream at the exit end.

Sun Oct 21 2018

My star rating is for prior visits. Nice hike in the woods. But on this trip the trail is blocked by high water from an apparent beaver dam. The bridge over the creek ends amid the high water. Beware that unless the water level goes down you will need hip waders to get through.

Sun Sep 09 2018

It was a perfect day for a sturdy uphill hike. Not too hard, not too easy. aTHe trails are well maintained and clean. the markers were sparse in places but my bad for not paying attention on my way in so I wandered a bit too far east. The views were beautiful on the drive to the spot...totally worth the trip. It was a lovely day with my dogs.

Mon Aug 06 2018

I am a 67 year old weekend hiker and I would not rate this trail "hard" it is, in my opinion, "moderately strenuous" it is less than 700 foot up and back down the same switchback trail. It is nicely shaded in summer. I will have to do it again in winter to see the views of Bristol Mountain Ski slopes. This would be a beautiful hike through the October hardwood foliage. At under 5 miles this is a nice little 2 hour walk in the woods. Use the All Trails app or you may find you've taken the trail less traveled by. I used All Trails and that made all the difference.

Mon Jul 30 2018

We hiked with kids and our dog. The shallow creek near entrance is nice to cool off your feet and dog.We had the whole hill to ourselves. Trails can be confusing because there are many deer trails that lead to thorny meadows or people's farms. We got lost but eventually blazed our own trail back down to the road. We survived to tell the tale and felt very proud. Will do it again in winter!

Sat Jul 28 2018

Come for the workout, not the scenic views. :) Actually, some lovely forest/trail views if you like that. Challenging uphill trail. But nice area.

Sat Jun 16 2018

Excellent hike, amazing workout! Trails not very well marked all the way but blaze your own trail, that's what life is all about!

Fri Jun 08 2018

Wet first section. Rest of it is an easy little hike totally in the trees. Good for a reprieve from the heat on a hot day.

Sun May 20 2018

Only a little wet during the first 1/2 mike from the parking lot. Use the yellow blazes to get to the top of the hill and this published Loop seems to be a combo of yellow and blue trail. There are other trail loops you can add on for more distance.

Sun Sep 17 2017

Steep trail. Very poorly marked trails. Followed path. If you want a strenuous work out, this trail is for you .

Fri Aug 25 2017

Fun challenging hike from the parking lot just south of Bristol Mountain (thank you Tim + Jacob), looking forward to returning on a not so cloudy day

Mon May 08 2017

.1 mile in, beavers have dammed up a footbridge causing the water to flow around. The water is flowing today, and it was impassable. Maybe another time (or bring waders....)