Stid Hill Multiple Use Area Trails

Stid Hill Multiple Use Area Trails is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Canandaigua, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I am a 67 year old weekend hiker and I would not rate this trail "hard" it is, in my opinion, "moderately strenuous" it is less than 700 foot up and back down the same switchback trail. It is nicely shaded in summer. I will have to do it again in winter to see the views of Bristol Mountain Ski slopes. This would be a beautiful hike through the October hardwood foliage. At under 5 miles this is a nice little 2 hour walk in the woods. Use the All Trails app or you may find you've taken the trail less traveled by. I used All Trails and that made all the difference.

We hiked with kids and our dog. The shallow creek near entrance is nice to cool off your feet and dog.We had the whole hill to ourselves. Trails can be confusing because there are many deer trails that lead to thorny meadows or people's farms. We got lost but eventually blazed our own trail back down to the road. We survived to tell the tale and felt very proud. Will do it again in winter!

Come for the workout, not the scenic views. :) Actually, some lovely forest/trail views if you like that. Challenging uphill trail. But nice area.

Excellent hike, amazing workout! Trails not very well marked all the way but blaze your own trail, that's what life is all about!

Wet first section. Rest of it is an easy little hike totally in the trees. Good for a reprieve from the heat on a hot day.

Only a little wet during the first 1/2 mike from the parking lot. Use the yellow blazes to get to the top of the hill and this published Loop seems to be a combo of yellow and blue trail. There are other trail loops you can add on for more distance.

Steep trail. Very poorly marked trails. Followed path. If you want a strenuous work out, this trail is for you .

Fun challenging hike from the parking lot just south of Bristol Mountain (thank you Tim + Jacob), looking forward to returning on a not so cloudy day

Monday, May 08, 2017

.1 mile in, beavers have dammed up a footbridge causing the water to flow around. The water is flowing today, and it was impassable. Maybe another time (or bring waders....)

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Great trail. Very muddy if you go in the rain.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Great hike, my kind of trail. Up hill out and down hill back with many animals. There were a lot of posted signs at the top... I would definitely go back once the leaves fall to see the view from the top.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Thanks Tim. The route that comes up when you search for Stid Hill isn't the route I was looking for - it is from an alternate parking area and doesn't lead to the peak I was looking for. This route is from the parking area past Bristol Mountain to the South with the big sign, as Tim described.

Early on, after you pass from meadow to forest, you can cross the creek and take a steeper route which is also an easy to follow trail up to the top.

To get to the glider launch, go directly West of the cell phone tower.

Monday, August 01, 2016

I went up from the southern parking lot, the one with the big information board. The trail is poorly marked but easy to follow.
Follow trails up to cell tower and beyond. Looks like the mountain bikers love the upper area.
Leave the young kids home the 1st time.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Good trail. Lots of ups and downs and side to side. Some mud at the beginning but that is to be expected in the spring

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Good trail, not the greatest trail markers got lost for a few min a few times found the trail quickly though. Will be doing it again soon for sure

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Good area. Trails are pretty easy for me. I like going up the dried creek beds though. They were much more challenging to climb up with the shale

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Interesting and a lot more challenging than I expected. I took the left branch (North) up the hill and went off-trail a bit to check out the large gully. Then followed the blue blazes south along the ridge-line, and again went off-trail into the pines near the southern gully. I picked up the trail that leads down the hill next to the southern gully which was very good but steep. The bottom of the hill was problematic however, because the trail markers are tied to small trees and shrubs and at some point they are just gone due to blow down. I ended up in a ton of brambles and blackberry bushes with no blaze to be seen, so I went back up to the woods and traversed along just above the brambles in the valley till I intersected back onto the first trail leading out of the parking area. Very muddy today due to snow melt, and the soil was super saturated, like wet oatmeal, so that added to the challenge. My dog seemed more tired than when we did Mt Haystack as a day hike (20 miles)!

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Great trail, quiet, not much traffic. Fairly difficult and pretty low visibility of blazes, but overall awesome trek. The waterfall was mostly frozen which was pretty beautiful. Highly recommend

Friday, January 01, 2016

Great hike with a good view. Streep in parts, breezy at the top, all in all a great day to be outdoors!

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

It's a difficult climb and some of the markers can be difficult to follow. The hill is very pretty and the view at the top is well worth the steep climb to get there. This probably isn't for little kids.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Better be prepared for a hike up a mountian side. Pretty view from the top, but quite strenuous.

Saturday, July 15, 2017