Sterling Lake Loop Trail

Sterling Lake Loop Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tuxedo Park, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Easy walk around Sterling Lake, historic furnace, mines and ruins Be sure to check out the displays in the visitors center. If you call ahead, you might be able to arrange for a tour of the furnace and mine area. Catch blue blaze trail in front of the visitors center going west. Pass foundation of old church on right, then enter the woods.Cross wooden bridge (over old sluice for water wheel) and the furnace is a short side trip to the left. Built in the 1700's, it was restored in the 1950's. Continue on blue blazed trail. Comes out on a road and follows it for a while, then enters the woods and continues around the lake, crossing an inlet on a berm. The trail the turns south and begins to climb. Follow back to visitors center.

A bit muddy today but overall fun for our group of older gentleman.

Today was a gorgeous day for a hike and I was able to take some amazing pictures. The views were breathtaking. Once we found where the blue blazer trail started it was very easy for follow. This trail can definitely be done in sneakers. Bring some snacks, there are plenty of nice places to stop and enjoy the view! Beware of snakes!!! We saw 3 snakes today with the last one being a HUGE black snake so keep your eyes open especially when you get to the part of the trail where you are deep in the woods. That is where we spotted the biggest snake any of us have ever seen

Awesome park staff is very friendly helpful

First hike for season to become acclimated. good workout on legs. No rock scrambles. Doable with sneakers but I am getting hiking boots for next time. prolly wont do this trail again for 2018 (5/5/2018 did it). Will try to tackle something a little harder.

Had an amazing time! My friend and I both took out dogs for a hike and we all had a blast. There were a few spots where it was hard to pass due to downed trees and flooded trail(we had very wet feet by the end) but we had a great time. Not too hard but hard enough to make it worth it. And we had a lovely picnic by the lake as we attempted to dry out our socks and shoes.

Very easy trail, we did it partially due to snow. We'll come back in spring and summer also for the other trails, there are many in the area.

Very nice trail with a lovely visitor center at the start. . Beautiful trees and views of the lake. Mostly flat and not very challenging.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

great trail, absolutely beautiful and very well maintained.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Good hike for this out of shape fat guy!

Saturday, September 02, 2017

Great Trail, beautiful views.

Saturday, September 02, 2017

Great Trail, beautiful views.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

There is a secretive lake beach section that is perfect for resting/picnic if you are into quietness and solitude. There's a lot of flies and bugs so make sure you bring a big bottle of spray!

Thursday, August 03, 2017

I love this loop! It isn't very strenuous, but you get about 5.5 miles in if you go from the visitor center around the blue trail. There is a beautiful little beach at the north end of the trail and my dog loves to take a "break" to chase the ball and swim there. Very relaxing, especially during the week when there are no crowds.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Fun and beautiful hike! We took our 4 and 1 year old around the loop, and they loved the woodsy paths, the waterfall/creeks and the beach. One of the highlights was the beautiful visitors center with light up map, and the helpful and friendly staffer, Allison, who showed us the route we'd be taking and took us outside to start us right on the path. It is steep and rocky in parts, so while it was manageable, I'd say this is an intermediate hike if you're a beginner and/or carrying kids like we were. Highly recommended!

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Nice hike. Kids had a blast. Mostly forest hiking, not much water besides the main lake view.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Nice trail, would drop it to Easy

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Took my dog on this hike and it was awesome. We only saw one person the whole time we were out, which is just how I like it. We listened to other reviewers who said go up the mountain first. Smart. Got the hard bit out of the way first although it wasn't too hard. Few super muddy bits and my dog was shoulder deep in muck at one part. But once you get to the land bridge by the lake it's more cleared trail. lol We stopped for lunch at a clearing by a little beach area and it was a great view. The second half was pretty easy going. We veered off the trail by the mines. Way cool to check out.

Be sure to check for ticks! I found a few on me, even with bug spray.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Easy, relatively level loop around Sterling Lake! Not too rocky, an area where the dogs can wade in the lake (too cold today for my girls to brave it), and lovely vantage points along both sides of the lake. We added an extra half mile by looping through the Sterling Mine trail which leads through abandoned mining buildings, complete with informational plaques. We'll be going back to the State Park to explore more of the 88 miles of trails - very friendly staff at the super informative visitor's center, too!

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Not hard at all however beautiful

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Nice relaxing trail .. Good views .. Recommend

Monday, August 08, 2016

Did this trail last month it was very nice and relaxing. Pretty easy and flat trail. The nice lil dip in the lake was the best part.

Monday, August 08, 2016

Great spot for simple hiking. Great spot for families, even if you just want to stay near the visitor center and enjoy the lake view over a picnic lunch. If you're hiking, Sterling Lake Loop is the blue blazed trail. Follow the blue blazes for a simple 4.5mi hike around Sterling Lake. The trail loops around and brings you back to the parking lot/visitor center. Or you can veer off to other, longer trails, as you'll see some connections along the way. (Have a map if you do.) This trail might be moderate for new hikers, but if you're an experienced hiker this trail is a pretty simple hike, still enjoyable. Good for solo hikes as well since you're still quite close to civilization, you know, just incase. I chose this spot since I went hiking alone on a Sunday afternoon. Saw a few groups of hikers along the way. There may be less people on week days.

Saturday, October 03, 2015

The hike was very nice. It was a good bit uphill and could be challenging if you're not used to walking. Parts of it are paved and parts are narrow dirt trails. There are some amazing views of the lake and there is an old building with trees growing in it that you can look at. The ranger recommended from the visitors center you go to the left and get the uphill done first so the easier part of the trail is at the end.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Easy 5 mile hike.

Saturday, September 07, 2013

Me and my boyfriend had a beautiful day.Really had a great time for my first time hiking.Highly recommended.We definitely be back next year.

Saturday, September 07, 2013

we had a beautiful day hiking around the lake, it is considered as medium for starters. highly recommended

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Trail is well marked, and plenty of views of the lake throughout the trail! There are still structures standing from the mining days.

Friday, September 28, 2012

Beautiful views, great hike for kids.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Very pretty lots of nice views. The lake is gorgeous. Some parts of it are quite hilly and rough. Most of it is very nice walk. Me and my gf did it today and it was beautiful outside. The visitor center is full of information. Some does work there if you have questions and he has maps as well. There are bathrooms along the path. Beautiful overall day

Monday, November 28, 2011

Wonderful hike/walk. Scenery was pleasant. About half of the trip is along the lake. The other half is still pretty though.