Sterling Lake Loop Trail

Sterling Lake Loop Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tuxedo Park, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Easy walk around Sterling Lake, historic furnace, mines and ruins Be sure to check out the displays in the visitors center. If you call ahead, you might be able to arrange for a tour of the furnace and mine area. Catch blue blaze trail in front of the visitors center going west. Pass foundation of old church on right, then enter the woods.Cross wooden bridge (over old sluice for water wheel) and the furnace is a short side trip to the left. Built in the 1700's, it was restored in the 1950's. Continue on blue blazed trail. Comes out on a road and follows it for a while, then enters the woods and continues around the lake, crossing an inlet on a berm. The trail the turns south and begins to climb. Follow back to visitors center.

There is a secretive lake beach section that is perfect for resting/picnic if you are into quietness and solitude. There's a lot of flies and bugs so make sure you bring a big bottle of spray!

I love this loop! It isn't very strenuous, but you get about 5.5 miles in if you go from the visitor center around the blue trail. There is a beautiful little beach at the north end of the trail and my dog loves to take a "break" to chase the ball and swim there. Very relaxing, especially during the week when there are no crowds.

Fun and beautiful hike! We took our 4 and 1 year old around the loop, and they loved the woodsy paths, the waterfall/creeks and the beach. One of the highlights was the beautiful visitors center with light up map, and the helpful and friendly staffer, Allison, who showed us the route we'd be taking and took us outside to start us right on the path. It is steep and rocky in parts, so while it was manageable, I'd say this is an intermediate hike if you're a beginner and/or carrying kids like we were. Highly recommended!

Nice hike. Kids had a blast. Mostly forest hiking, not much water besides the main lake view.

Nice trail, would drop it to Easy

Took my dog on this hike and it was awesome. We only saw one person the whole time we were out, which is just how I like it. We listened to other reviewers who said go up the mountain first. Smart. Got the hard bit out of the way first although it wasn't too hard. Few super muddy bits and my dog was shoulder deep in muck at one part. But once you get to the land bridge by the lake it's more cleared trail. lol We stopped for lunch at a clearing by a little beach area and it was a great view. The second half was pretty easy going. We veered off the trail by the mines. Way cool to check out.

Be sure to check for ticks! I found a few on me, even with bug spray.

Easy, relatively level loop around Sterling Lake! Not too rocky, an area where the dogs can wade in the lake (too cold today for my girls to brave it), and lovely vantage points along both sides of the lake. We added an extra half mile by looping through the Sterling Mine trail which leads through abandoned mining buildings, complete with informational plaques. We'll be going back to the State Park to explore more of the 88 miles of trails - very friendly staff at the super informative visitor's center, too!