Star Field Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cooperstown, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hikers must start going north from Chicken Farm Hill Road. Users have reported that the land south of Chicken Farm Hill Road is private property.

Visited the Baseball Hall of Fame and figured I'd get in a hike as a primer as I was planning to hike Mount Washington in NH the next day. Saw the reviews from others about where to start on Chicken Farm Hill Road since others had apparently got on a trail before this started which was on private property. Going up the road, it is marked clearly and there is a small area across from it that you can back in and park two cars but in reality, this area is not traveled much and you could park along the roadway itself. The entrance to the trail though marked at the beginning, points up what looks like is a private driveway. Because there is no other sign than what says is the trailhead just a little ways up, you wonder if you're walking up to somebody's house. Don't worry though, you're not. Though not marked, it appears to be a NY State Police building, maybe a barracks but not sure. I just saw a couple of their marked vehicles in back of it. Trail is just to the top right of their parking lot behind the building. As far as the hike itself, it wasn't difficult. It was a little muddy in spots due to recent rain but easily traverseable. I thought that after looking at the map, I'd be able to get some lake views but not to be. Though you can see a little bit of the lake as you walk, the forest is just too dense and it was just not possible. Eventually, I got to the end and I figured out how the trail got its name. Nice view and all but if you're looking to do some sightseeing along the way, this trail isn't really it. It's fine for just a quick getaway into the woods though.

Thursday, September 21, 2017

As one of the caretakers for the family that owns the land from county Rt 33 to Chicken farm, they have asked me to post that it is private land and unless you have written permission to please stay off of it. I do not have any info on the land from Chicken Farm on. Thank you

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

As one of the caretakers for the family that owns the land from county Rt 33 to Chicken farm, they have asked me to post that it is private land and unless you have written permission to please stay off of it. I do not have any info on the land from Chicken Farm to star field. Thank you

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

We attempted to find the trail but it seemed to only be a four-wheeler trail that went off into the woods...did we miss something?

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

This is an incredibly easy (very flat; well maintained trail) stroll through the woods that ends at an overgrown field. There is a footpath through the field to a pond, and farther down the footpath are views of Otsego Lake.

We took the pup (he loved it), but make sure dogs are on leash, especially at the beginning of the trail, as it is the K9 training facility for the NY State Troopers.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Great trail! Make sure you enter on Chicken Farm Hill Road. I wouldn't say it's a hard trail by any means. Very leisurely. Trecked on July 31st Sunny and Hot.

Friday, June 16, 2017

I'm covered in mud, my shoes are soaked, and my thighs are aching, but it was an awesome ride out and back with the hill down from chicken farm rd being my favorite part. I wish I was 20ft taller so I could've seen the lake from the field at the end of the trail but it was still an awesome view. Saw another group of mtb riders heading up as we came back!

Monday, June 05, 2017

This is a fantastic gem in Cooperstown. Starting from Chicken Hill Road it is about 2 miles out to the field. A well maintained trail that is not technical and only a couple of moderate elevation changes.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

You need to start the hike from Chicken Farm Hill, not County Rt 33. Look for the Trailhead Sign!

Thursday, February 23, 2017

why does the sign say "no entry written permission only " ?? should you list this trail if its not open to the public?? Disappointed, drove all the way out here and not able to walk!

Wednesday, August 16, 2017