Spruce & Shackham Ponds Trail

Spruce & Shackham Ponds Trail is a 6.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Fabius, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I'd rate this as moderate. I read the trail reviews and used this site to help guide me http://www.cnyhiking.com/Spruce-ShackhamPondLoop.htm. I'm not sure where I missed any turns, but the mileage/directions seemed off. I parked at the dirt parking lot on Herlilhy Road. You can see the trail sign at the end of the pond. I took the blue trail, which was clearly marked. Then, there were some private posted signs that warned you to stay on the trail only. About 1.5-2 miles in, you come to a clearing with a great view of the pond. From there, I continued straight down a wide dirt trail. At 2.75 miles, I reached the end of the trail and RT 91. There were several offshoots for blue and orange trails off this wide, dirt trail, but I couldn't tell which was supposed to be the right loop. I ended up just turning back around and leaving the way I came. Long hike but definitely do able for my 5 month old puppy. She loved all the mud! I wouldn't do this trail again, but for the area, the view at the top is great.

The hike was very enjoyable and the lakes were the beautiful scenic highlights of this trip. The trail was muddy and got much more difficult when the trail becomes part of the FLT system. I had to back track once because I missed the turn at the second lake (shackham?), I never found the trail and just took the road to the lake and FLT entrance.

Monday, September 19, 2016

Trails were great but not marked well. Suggest starting at parking area and hiking up hill across from parking lot where there is a small wooden bridge across ditch. Trail goes uphill. Follow it to first gravel road. Go right and take first left gravel road which takes you to pond. Hike blue trail that is on left side of pond for a short distance as you circle pond. Keep right on trail fork where trail then becomes orange trail again. It has beautiful creek views and brings you right back to parking area for a total hike of just over six miles

Saturday, August 27, 2016

This trail system is awesome! Its part of the NCT which goes from Maine all the way to North Dakota. Theres 14 mile loops with lean-to's along the way. The trail has ponds and waterfalls along the way and even a nice lookout spot thats used for hang gliding that over looks labrador hollow pond. The trail also brings you to the top of tinker falls. I would consider this a moderate trail to hike. You can find detailed maps at fingerlakestrails.org

Monday, August 01, 2016

This was a decent hike for me to get back into hiking with after a bit of a hiatus. The first mile or so had me wondering if it was a hike at all though. I almost got discouraged because it started out as a gravel road. Personally I don't consider it a hike if I could do it in my Ford. But after a while it redeemed itself. Wasn't too strenuous and the views of the ponds were nice. It was raining a bit but nothing too hard and I think it was a good thing because there were probably fewer people out because of it.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Sunday, July 24, 2016

So we parked at the first parking spot by the entrance to the orange trail. We hiked all the way through the trail until we got to a road. We decided to right(back towards the car) and walk the road. We saw a lake to our left at the fork in the road and decided to walk around the lake. The trail was still the orange trail, but there was a blue trail that led up the mountain. We took the orange trail, which led us back to the car. The hike was okay, not what I'm used to. I like having a destination, beginning and end, like the peak of a mountain or a loop trail. I felt like the trail went in and on. Only greenery with a lake, no cool views or obstacles. I'm an avid hiker and this hike pretty much didn't live up to my expectations. It's alright for someone who likes to "walk" around the woods.

Bring bug spray...

Friday, July 08, 2016

The blue trail ranged from easy to hard! Getting to the top (the views) was worth the climb. It took some investigating to find the trail head.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Friday, June 17, 2016

Friday, June 17, 2016

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Terrific hike/trail run

Monday, May 16, 2016

Friday, April 01, 2016

Very clear and well marked trail. No spectacular views, but it's a nice walk through the woods. If you're lucky you'll spot some deer.

Monday, June 08, 2015

The trailhead is hard to find (it's off the side of the road, a bit of a walk from the parking area). If you end up on a trail with signs for a snowmobile path, you haven't gone far enough down the road.

The pond is lovely and the hike winds through a tall forest with plenty of shade; perfect for a summer day.

Friday, May 22, 2015