Spruce Mountain Firetower

Spruce Mountain Firetower is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Porter Corners, New York that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

private property

Small hike to the firetower summit The 73 foot fire tower on the 2009 foot summit of Spruce Mountain was built in 1928 and manned until 1988. The summit is accessible by a gated service road and a 1.2 mile hiking trail. The trail has downfall and the remains of past logging operations. This area was heavily logged in the past. The trail crosses an old concrete culvert over a stream then immediately climbs. The total elevation gain 1000 feet over this 1.2 mile hike. The trail can be tough to follow at times with many old logging roads crossing the trail. The trail is marked sometimes with red DEC discs. Tough to follow in winter - sled trail runs west of DEC trail to summit, slightly longer. The trail crosses land used by the Blue Jay Hunting Club on a lease from International Paper, so hiking is not recommended during hunting season (late September through early December)

Hiked this yesterday. Nice trail, well maintained and not too much litter for my kids and I to pack out. Harder than "Easy" but it is short do I understand the rating. Have to go up the fire tower for any views. We found a Painted turtle, Milk snake and more chipmunks than a Disney film!

I hiked this about a month ago and forgot to review. it was a pretty gradual and short hike, as others have said it's probably a little closer to moderate than easy... lovely views from the firetower

This trail is relatively short and easy compared to most other ADK towers. It was worth the hike. Check out my full write up along with pictures and things to look out for.

Great hike although, as a frequent hiker, I would say it is moderate, not easy. I loved the breeze and views from the fire tower!

Beautiful views! The fire tower was wonderful! I would rate this more moderate than easy. We hiked with kids 3,4,6 and 8. The two little ones struggled, it was no problem for the two older kids

I'll add four stars. I wasn't able to complete this, a bit steep for an absolute beginner. It was also very slippery on the day I went after a rain and finagling a dog while keeping my grip was a bit much for me. I'd love to go back one day with proper hiking shoes and a walking stick.

I really enjoyed this hike. The trail is very well marked with blue markers.

The footing was great without the roots and rocks on so many Adirondack trails. It was a little overcast but that only made the forest greens and browns amazingly vibrant. It almost felt surreal.

I expected a lot of bugs but except for a few deer flies at the summit it was almost bug free. Maybe because it doesn't have a stream.

Little muddy at the top. Nothing to worry about. Great hike! Definitely climb the tower!

Beautiful trail in the spring

Great afternoon easy hike. Terrific views from the firetower.

Easy trail for the hole family. Trail is about 3 miles out and back.

great hike

good hike with decent views from the fire tower.

Absolutely beautiful day out. Low 80’s and all sun. Pretty groomed trail with lots of trees down. No snow. Really forestry at the summit not like other fire tower mountains. Fire tower was tall and closed. Views were amazing . 2 hours round trip!

Easy hike under two hours total no real steeps. 20 yards of snow no ice. Micros not needed. Fantastic clear day high peaks visible w tons of snow to the north. Vt and Catskills also visible to east and south. Did not expect views to be so good! Bonus was the windows still intact in the tower which helped avoid the strong winds in the tower.

It's not the most exciting hike in the Adirondacks but it's pretty. Living nearby, this a great way to get out and stretch my legs for an hour or two.

You do need to climb up the fire tower a ways though to get a view.

Would rate it easy to moderate. Partially covered in snow and winter runoff, hiked this for the first time yesterday. A bit muddy and slippery on the downhill with leaves and snow. No ice. Wore yak trax which were mostly useless- poles would have been helpful on the way down. Beautiful sunny day- sometimes the trail was hard to follow but it was a lovely short hike.

Easy to follow trail. Need crampons and poles if you don't want o slip.

This is a nice quick local hike that’s nice and easygoing. This was a great winter hike that I enjoyed. There were a lot of animal tracks that we saw while hiking.

Great Day in the woods. Saw a few other hikers. However I Left my snowshoes in my vehicle and I should have taken them. Would have made the trip much easier. I did use poles and Yak Traks(ya ya I know they are crap but they do the trick on a budget and not in a High Peak!) which were great and got the job done. This is easy but should be more low moderate with the added winter conditions.

Note: Don’t go unprepared as that is not safe even on this trail and if you’re venturing unprepared at the very least sign in at the trailhead.

Happy Hiking!

A nice hike to start firetower challenge, not hard but a continue climb to top, view from tower only
Trail was just reopened from hunting season and has lots on leaves covering trail need to pay attention to markers

Pretty cool hike.

There is a sign that the trail is closed from 10/21-12/3 for what I would imagine Is hunting seasons.. we proceeded anyway. Views at the top and very pretty and the hike is EASY. Would be great for families & pets. Probably wouldn’t do it a second time.

not to hard. Perfect distance. trails were nice and empty and seeing and climbing the fire tower was fun.

Shirley and I climbed this lovely, little peak this morning and want to correct two statements in the description of the trail as given on this web site. Yes, the forest is quite open (unlike the majority of trails in the Adirondacks) and there are many trees lying on the ground in some areas due to logging in the past, but there was no confusion in following the trail. If you're used to seeing blow down while hiking, this forest will seem to be filled with fallen trees in the lower to middle portions of the hike. We never had to spend any time in route-finding, because the trail is obvious and marked well with blue markers, although at times somewhat sparsely, And this leads me to my second correction: We never saw a red marker. The trail is especially easy in comparison to the typical trail that has severely eroded, steep pitches filled with rocks and small boulders of varying size. Water bars are plentiful and do an excellent job of controlling erosion, producing a trail surface that is usually soft and forgiving, and exposed tree roots are rarely a problem. The trail's grade is relentlessly upward, especially from the beginning, with few relatively flat sections to catch your breath. Finally, as someone else noted, there is no view from the summit unless you climb the fire tower.

Easy hike all up but pine floor for easy walking tower was locked at top

Decent little hike--- not tough at all. Good for novice hikers!

Great hike, totally more moderate especially for a beginner.

Short, easy and close! No views unless you climb the tower but from there, beautiful!