Learn more

Spruce Bog Trail Loop is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cropseyville, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 4.4 mi Elevation gain 321 ft Route type Loop

Photos (30)
Recordings (43)
Completed (114)
Britt Gilman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jul 07 2020
HikingRocky
Michael OConnor
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 28 2020
HikingBugsFeeMuddyRocky

Least enjoyable of the weekly hikes I have taken since March. Nearly entire trail was walking on raised roots or rocks, which is fine, if there is a payoff, but there was not. There really was nothing interesting, whether it be peculiar trees, babbling brooks, huge boulders, views, etc. It was very buggy. I do not think I have been so continually under attack and from so many different types. Their siege was relentless. Granted, I tried fitting in this two-hour hike between rain showers. Naturally, this made the rocks slick and brought out the bugs. Another reason I gave a poor rating is the trail markers. This is regarded as a loop, but it is not really. The orange trail itself is in and out. To make it a loop, after returning from the end of the in/out, you then leave the orange trail and follow the blue trail. This ends at a road, without any signs or postings. I guessed that I turn left. After following the road for about 5 minutes, I spotted the trailhead for a yellow trail. This brought me back to the parking lot, making for a loop. Finally, this trail is within a hunting area. I do not think it was an active hunting season, but I would not feel comfortable hiking this during hunting season. I know most hunters are careful and considerate, but they are not the ones I worry about. It is those few reckless, dangerous ones. I do not mind contributing to the State Park system, but paying $8 for this hike because I entered the main gate was unreasonable. Had I passed the main entrance to Grafton, and instead went up Long Pond Road, I would have gotten to the same spot, without charge. Tip: Trailhead is easy to find. Cross the foot bridge, then go right, towards the old gravestones.

Michael OConnor
HikingBugsFeeMuddyOff trailRocky
View Michael's Recording
Claudia Flayter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun May 17 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

Enter the trail across from the sign not the one next to it. It is an easier hike but longer hike if you include going to the fire tower. Just stay on the trail that is clearly marked orange! Had two trees down but was fine. It wasn't crowded at all. It is muddy in some spots so wear older sneakers or boots. It was easy to navigate around those spots if you are good with balance.

Sam Lucarelli
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 10 2020
HikingMuddy

pretty good trail. it was kind of muddy and there was some snow but it didn't really affect my experience. would recommend

View Sam's Recording
samantha Daigle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri May 08 2020
FeeMuddyRocky

a very easy trail, my best friend and I only did the loop. We did not go all the way to fire tower trail. It's very rocky, and very full of twisted roots. Still suitable for dogs and small children. Very shady for pale people like myself!

Anna P
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat May 02 2020
HikingMuddy

Definitely muddy! Did the loop from the entrance across from the sign at the trail head.

View Anna's Recording
Andrew Neil
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarWed Apr 29 2020
View Andrew's Recording
Aarika Moak
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Apr 25 2020
HikingMuddy

Myself and my 9 year old daughter took a hike today. The signs are very poor. Im very lucky I read a previous review about where the entrance to the Spruce Bog trail started or else we would’ve entered onto the trail that directly next to the sign. The trail was super muddy, so wear appropriate shoes. My daughter wore her nikes and they’re covered in mud now. As we got farther down the trail, there was a standing ground sign that pointed in a different direction, so we followed what the sign had said. WRONG. We unknowingly left the trail we wanted to be on and ended up on one of the driving roads. I think it was North pond road? I wasn’t entirely sure. We ended up just winging it and ventured down to the trail by the lake. All in all, it was a beautiful day and decent hike. I do agree they could really use some more clear and concise signage.

View Aarika's Recording
Sue F
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Apr 20 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

The trail is very pretty and it was a great hike (albeit muddy). The signage leaves a lot to be desired. At the start of the tail, the Spruce Bog Trail sign is at the entrance of the Mill Pond trail. Directly opposite is Spruce Bog. Then you must stick to the orange markers. When you see a Spruce Bog trail sign, there will be arrows pointing to other destinations, so you get the impression it’s the Spruce Bog trail TO those places. But, no. You have to make sure you follow the trail that the sign DOESN’T point to. Other than that it was a very nice hike!

Jennifer Iagrossi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Apr 07 2020
View Jennifer's Recording
Ali K
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFri Mar 27 2020
HikingMuddyOver grownRockySnow

Very muddy, snowy... but beautiful. Not too challenging but tricky due to being so muddy and overgrown somewhat. I wouldn’t have wanted to do this alone at my skill level right now. We wanted to do the full 4 miles and thought we were going on the route that goes out and back, but we were going around the loop. We couldn’t really make out any other trail.

View Ali's Recording
Dan Campbell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jan 02 2020
HikingSnow

Pay attention to the markers. They change from painted blazes to plastic circles. I added the Fire Tower to this hike and followed the road back to N. Long Pond rd and hiked back to the car for a total of 6.88 miles.

Eva Barinelli
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Sep 07 2019
HikingMuddyOver grown

Trail was very muddy. Out and back section was very overgrown in places. Nice, quiet trail.

View Eva's Recording
Amanda Rodwell
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 29 2019
HikingBugs

This trail was a joke- very easy and no view. Very buggy right now too. Do not hike if you enjoy hiking