Spruce Bog Trail Loop

Spruce Bog Trail Loop is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cropseyville, New York that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

I don't know who rated this hard, but it is totally inaccurate. I combined this with Dickinson Fire tower, and while it took some extra time...it should be rated the same as that which is easy. All in all a good combo hike.

Thursday, June 09, 2016

I agree with Chard. should be listed as easy. you can move through here very quickly.
It is though, a very beautiful area and I will definitely return. It's nice to hike a trail for a change and not see a single piece of trash.

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Definitely not difficult. Very moderate. If you like hiking around lakes it's a good one. I suggest getting there early in the morning during summer months as the beach can get crowded and noisy. Pretty flat all the way around, as well. Good hike though! Lots of little side trails to have fun on.

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Spruce Bog Trail is one of my favorites at Grafton Lakes State Park. I do not think it is difficult but it is long as compared to most trails at the park. There is only minor elevation change in this section of the park. You pass through deciduous forest and pine stands. If you look hard enough you will see signs of animal life at the park. This is especially true in the winter. Snowshoeing is fantastic here. It would be more difficult to cross country ski but not impossible only due to the rocks and tree roots that are exposed when the snow is light. There are two new trails that connect with Spruce Bog and they are a nice side route. Spruce Ridge loops to come back onto Spruce Bog. Beech Nut is an in and out to White Lily Pond.

There are many options to return to your car without having to return via Spruce Bog.

This is not a short hike, plan on staying for several hours. Stop for lunch at the boat launch at the north end of Long Pond or take Beech Nut and have lunch at White Lily Pond.

The last time I went it was very cold and some snow on the ground. We wore spikes and did not snowshoe. We hiked a little over 7 miles and it took about 5 hours, but we stopped for lunch, photography and rest stops.

Tuesday, June 07, 2016