South Shore Nature Trail is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near East Islip, New York that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 6 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The nature center is only open on the weekends, but the trails are open every day until 4:30 pm.

theres construction going on so you cant take some of the trails and ever since COVID it the map now they have the trails set up in a one way fashion to lower the chances of too many people passing one another. also check yourself for ticks and stay in the middle of the path to help decrease the likelihood of one attaching to you. overall a really cool hidden gem on the island

Just got home and my wife and I both found ticks On us. Guess that should be expected what with there being so many deer on the property. Still, be careful. Signs were confusing. Multiple One way signs pointing in two directions. I assumed they meant travel in one direction to avoid close contact with fellow travelers. But weird to see a one way sign pointing in two directions.

Awesome trail and so picturesque! Great little hike that’s completely immersive and big-free but let’s you get right up next to turtles and deer.

Confusing- many parts closed off- bad signs. Did get to see some deer up close- my kids were excited

Parts closed off bad one way signs through. Thought it was just me then I saw another couple turn around.

Nice little trail, boardwalk very sturdy. the areas with no boardwalk is a bit mucky. reeds were, in some areas, over 12 feet tall.

Nice trail through a heavy reed marsh. The boardwalk is nice, but the trail is overgrown in some areas near the end and I was hoping to get to the ocean, but the overgrowth made that impossible. It is marked well enough for the most part. It is very marshy and wet towards the end, especially after a rain, so make sure you wear the correct footwear.

Liked the boardwalk through the marsh and wooded areas. Thought there many loose boards or missing boards. I do understand the amount of work that went into building the walkway where they made it. You would think that they would take better care of it. Got to a point that it was so overgrown that I didn’t want to take the kids any further. Saw plenty of deer and woodpeckers.

closed

We were there beginning of July. So disappointed. It’s all overgrown and not taken care of. Would not recommend this hike to anyone.

Sun Apr 07 2019

a nice easy walk with the family. I love a nice boardwalk hike through mash lands and this was perfect for that. I'm excited to check this (new for us) place when the leaves and birds are all back!

Sat Feb 23 2019

Not bad for an early afternoon walk in late Feb 2019... But they really need to take a look at and repair the walkway at some points. I almost fell through on 3 occasions. The third having actually caused a fall.

Sat Jan 27 2018

A fun, flat walk along a wooden pathway. Really beautiful! Cattails, trees, small streams, and we saw deer and mallards.

Sun May 07 2017

Not the longest trail but so much to see!

Sun Mar 05 2017

Great hike with my boys through the trails and on the deck. Great trail!

Wed Oct 12 2016

Love this site. Trails through the marsh, trails through the woods. Some boardwalked and some not. Be prepared for mud if you are off the boardwalk. As with all Long Island site, check for ticks afterwards! The nature center is only open on the weekends, but the trails are open every day until 4:30.