Snowy Mountain Trail

Snowy Mountain Trail is a 7.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Indian Lake, New York that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Me and 2 buddies of mine hiked this mtn in November about 2 years ago and it was amazing!!! The reviews are pretty accurate when it comes to this hike.
I loved the river crossings and one of the times my foot slipped and one of of my shoes got soaked so had to stop change socks and dry the shoe by a fire we quickly made ( conversation piece).
Just be prepared and do your research.

Loved it. Not for the faint of heart or out of shape. Wear moisture wicking clothing for sure and trekking poles will help going up and down. Seemed pretty flat for at least the first half until I reached the first stone staircase (you'll likely recognize it) and then it's pure climbing till the top. It wasn't until I started descending that I realized how much I'd actually climbed. Only saw one other person on the trail on a Thursday about noon. Lots of great water crossings and of course the views are great. Tower is in really good shape except for one loose railing. No wind at the top the day I went. Awesome. Took me about 1 hr and 50 min to get to the summit. About the same going down as the trail was really, really wet and muddy as it rained a bit that day and the two days prior.

Very steep for the second half of the way up. Not for inexperienced/unfit/unwilling hikers. Probably the coolest hike I've done to date. Took 5ish hours in very muddy conditions.

A great day trip from Rochester. Started at the trailhead at 10, took 2:30 to get to the fire tower, 1:45 to get down. Beautiful 360 views from the fire tower and even on the way up. Last mile to the summit is a killer like others have said.

This was a pretty hard hike, but well worth the view! There are a few spots where you have to cross water. A great hike! One of my favorites so far. The view was fantastic.

the trail needs to be marked alot better

My friend and I wanted to initially check out this hike because we heard there were sport climbing routes at the top. We read the reviews ahead of time and knew that it would be a difficult hike, but didn’t know what to expect on the trail itself or how long it would take.

The hike is 3.4 miles one way (according to the sign) with an elevation gain of 3899 ft. We did the hike on March 31 and expected the trail to be somewhat icy but definitely did not prepare for the amount of snow that would be on the trail. The first 2.5 miles is quite easy, but you do have to be wary of where you step because of the snow/slush. Postholes were knee to hip deep.

As all the reviews stated, the last mile was definitely a killer, but it was made so much worse because of the snow and ice. My friend and I were not prepared for trekking up the sheer steepness of the trail without winter gear. The viewpoint at the top is fantastic and the fire tower is definitely worth the climb (beware, it does get very windy up there!)

If you’re planning on doing this hike anytime in the winter or early spring (March/April) poles and spikes are a must.

It took my friend and I about 2.5 hours of climb up and about 2 hours to climb down (again, spikes are clutch). I would rate this hike at high intermediate.

There’s designated parking right across the trail head and the route is marked with route signs so it was easy for us to follow. Might’ve been made easier for us cause we followed the footprints in the snow; can’t say what it’ll be like in the summer.

We didn’t get a chance to scope out the sport climbing but would most definitely recommend this hike. It has a sick view at the top and the difficulty of it makes it more rewarding.

Very fun hike!! I went on the first snowfall of the year (11/10/17) and it was awesome! Around an inch at the base with about 3 inches at the summit. From the base to the midsection was quite easy; the trail had been tracked through already, so it was very easy to follow the trail. However, as you near the summit things start getting a little tricky. Firstly, if you plan on doing this hike when there is snow on the ground I would recommend at the minimum that you use trekking poles and some kind of spikes on your boots. I say this because near the summit there is a rock face that is covered with snow and ice. Although it can be done without these items (as I did not knowing what was in store), the hike would certainly be made easier with them. Also, beginning near the midsection of the hike trail markers are very scarce. I found myself constantly stopping and looking around to make sure I was still on the right path. There were times where there were no trail markers in sight, so I chose a path and luckily I was right every time. Once you arrive at the summit you'll find that the tower is missing some fencing on the stairs going up which was a bit disconcerting, but not really an issue. Views from the tower are amazing!! 360° of pure Adirondacks.

FINAL THOUGHTS: Awesome hike! I would rate it a high intermediate to expert level climb. Strictly experts in the winter. Views are spectacular and absolutely worth the effort! Just wish there were more trail markers!!!

Great trail. The first 1/2-3/4 is a nice walk in the woods. The last 1/4 is a little challenging but the views at the top are great.

We hiked this trail during the winter months and it was a ton of fun. The last mile to the top is tough but worth it for the incredible views. Check out my full write up with pictures and directions.

Awesome place to hike!

Holy Hannah, this was a tough hike for me, I usually stick to moderate! The first two miles were beautiful and easy traveling, the next mile is way more taxing, but the last 1/2 mile is beast. I can't believe I did that, but I did! When you hit the top flat the view is tremendous, but if you stay on the red marked trail you reach the well hidden fire tower. What a gem, what an accomplishment.

Understandable why many claim this as "sister" to Crane Mountain. This Adirondack Fire Tower Challenge climb is longer but very similar and reminiscent to Crane. There are some real nice hikes in Indian Lake - glad to have checked this off the list! Hiked this (August 31) with my DH, SIL, and BIL on a misty, breezy day. :-)

There were a couple really flat spots to set up a tent about 1/4 of the way in right by the stream.

Awesome views for top of tower. It is a hard hike end is the hardest conserve energy round trip 3 hours

It was a tough climb but it was totally worth it at the top!

Toward the end it was all up up up. A difficult climb years ago but remembered to be well worth the days Hike!

My husband and I did this trail last year as greenhorns and let me just say, WOW!! Snowy Mountain kicked our butts, mine more than his because of inexperience and bad knees. It took us 8 hours round trip, an amazing experience we will never forget!! The panoramic view from the fire tower was worth the pain, lol This is a hike I would do again, with being more in shape of course!

Very enjoyable hike yet challenging rock scrambles at the very end. The last mile or so was steep and we had to help our pups up a couple large rocks at the very top. If I weren't such a chicken then I would be able to tell you about the beautiful views from the top of the tower. We are lunch at the rock ledge just before the tower, the black flies were pretty bad even now. We had a lot of fun!

The other reviews were very accurate. The trail starts relatively flat and then is very steep and rocky for about the last mile. It is also a wet trail that has a bunch of stream crossings. You'll do a lot of rock-hopping. There are two lookout spots at the top - one natural rock ledge, but if you keep walking 200 yards further through the trees you'll get to the fire tower. We did the tower first (which has amazing views!) and then had lunch at the first lookout ledge. Our dogs handled the trail well but I wouldn't suggest this for someone with a dog that pulls on the leash. You'll have a really rough/treacherous time going back down the trail. Don't forget your bug spray on this hike either!

Great view from the top. Isn't that big of a summit so if there are a lot of people it will be crowded. Starts out as a nice pleasant hike then gets really steep and rocky. Lots to see on this trail.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

The trail starts out flat and then gets very steep and rocky. Lots of bugs and very wet. Don't miss the tugged away fire-tower at the top with very nice views.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

It was a great hike. Beautiful skies and perfect temp. We took our two teenage daughters who wanted to quit 2/3rds in but were glad they didn't once we reached the summit.

We ran into some bugs on the way up but tons more on the way back.

Perfect day!

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Great hike first hard hike of the year felt great
sky was clear and just the right temp
No bugs a little muddy

Saturday, May 27, 2017

We hiked up the Red Trail to the summit clearing and fire tower. We started our hike at 9:45 on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, and there were already 6 or 8 hikers registered. The first 2.5 miles are relatively flat with a number of non-technical "stepping stone" stream crossings. the final 0.4-mile ascent is grueling, and descending in muddy conditions. We used poles to descend.

Black flies were swarming but not biting as the sun was not out, nor was it above 65F. We also had some good bug dope rolled on our skin and clothes.

Well worth the hike and exertion. The views from the tower and summit are splendid.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Challenging hike but very rewarding

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Great hike to start the season. No one on the trail except the three (wife and dog) of us. Trail boggy in locations, but not bad. Snow is largely gone from the peak with only some patches seen off trail. Wildflowers are in bloom

Saturday, April 29, 2017

This was the first mountain trail that I ever completed, back in the late '80's. The trail was much different in those days, as the difficulty has much increased over the years. We last completed this hike in 2014, and while it took a bit of time it was still well worth the trip.

Friday, December 09, 2016

We hiked this the day after there was lake effect snow the night prior. We were the first ones out there, so we ended up breaking the trail. The first part of the trail microspikes were needed for traction. We opted and left our snowshoes in the car. That wasn't a good idea that we had, because as you got closer to the summit the snow deepened. There was about 2' of snow at the plateau. The view from there was awesome. There were parts before the plateau were the snow was up to my waist. This trail is definitely harder to hike when there's a lot of snow out. I will definitely do this trail again in the summer.