Snowy Mountain Trail

Snowy Mountain Trail is a 7.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Indian Lake, New York that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Very fun hike!! I went on the first snowfall of the year (11/10/17) and it was awesome! Around an inch at the base with about 3 inches at the summit. From the base to the midsection was quite easy; the trail had been tracked through already, so it was very easy to follow the trail. However, as you near the summit things start getting a little tricky. Firstly, if you plan on doing this hike when there is snow on the ground I would recommend at the minimum that you use trekking poles and some kind of spikes on your boots. I say this because near the summit there is a rock face that is covered with snow and ice. Although it can be done without these items (as I did not knowing what was in store), the hike would certainly be made easier with them. Also, beginning near the midsection of the hike trail markers are very scarce. I found myself constantly stopping and looking around to make sure I was still on the right path. There were times where there were no trail markers in sight, so I chose a path and luckily I was right every time. Once you arrive at the summit you'll find that the tower is missing some fencing on the stairs going up which was a bit disconcerting, but not really an issue. Views from the tower are amazing!! 360° of pure Adirondacks.

FINAL THOUGHTS: Awesome hike! I would rate it a high intermediate to expert level climb. Strictly experts in the winter. Views are spectacular and absolutely worth the effort! Just wish there were more trail markers!!!

Great trail. The first 1/2-3/4 is a nice walk in the woods. The last 1/4 is a little challenging but the views at the top are great.

We hiked this trail during the winter months and it was a ton of fun. The last mile to the top is tough but worth it for the incredible views. Check out my full write up with pictures and directions.

Awesome place to hike!

Holy Hannah, this was a tough hike for me, I usually stick to moderate! The first two miles were beautiful and easy traveling, the next mile is way more taxing, but the last 1/2 mile is beast. I can't believe I did that, but I did! When you hit the top flat the view is tremendous, but if you stay on the red marked trail you reach the well hidden fire tower. What a gem, what an accomplishment.

Understandable why many claim this as "sister" to Crane Mountain. This Adirondack Fire Tower Challenge climb is longer but very similar and reminiscent to Crane. There are some real nice hikes in Indian Lake - glad to have checked this off the list! Hiked this (August 31) with my DH, SIL, and BIL on a misty, breezy day. :-)

There were a couple really flat spots to set up a tent about 1/4 of the way in right by the stream.

Awesome views for top of tower. It is a hard hike end is the hardest conserve energy round trip 3 hours