Snowy Mountain Trail

Snowy Mountain Trail is a 7.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Indian Lake, New York that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

It was a tough climb but it was totally worth it at the top!

Toward the end it was all up up up. A difficult climb years ago but remembered to be well worth the days Hike!

We hiked this trail during the winter months and it was a ton of fun. The last mile to the top is tough but worth it for the incredible views. Check out my full write up with pictures and directions.

My husband and I did this trail last year as greenhorns and let me just say, WOW!! Snowy Mountain kicked our butts, mine more than his because of inexperience and bad knees. It took us 8 hours round trip, an amazing experience we will never forget!! The panoramic view from the fire tower was worth the pain, lol This is a hike I would do again, with being more in shape of course!

Very enjoyable hike yet challenging rock scrambles at the very end. The last mile or so was steep and we had to help our pups up a couple large rocks at the very top. If I weren't such a chicken then I would be able to tell you about the beautiful views from the top of the tower. We are lunch at the rock ledge just before the tower, the black flies were pretty bad even now. We had a lot of fun!

The other reviews were very accurate. The trail starts relatively flat and then is very steep and rocky for about the last mile. It is also a wet trail that has a bunch of stream crossings. You'll do a lot of rock-hopping. There are two lookout spots at the top - one natural rock ledge, but if you keep walking 200 yards further through the trees you'll get to the fire tower. We did the tower first (which has amazing views!) and then had lunch at the first lookout ledge. Our dogs handled the trail well but I wouldn't suggest this for someone with a dog that pulls on the leash. You'll have a really rough/treacherous time going back down the trail. Don't forget your bug spray on this hike either!

Great view from the top. Isn't that big of a summit so if there are a lot of people it will be crowded. Starts out as a nice pleasant hike then gets really steep and rocky. Lots to see on this trail.